Sexing linothele and cupiennius sp.

Saksida2000

Arachnosquire
Any tips how to sex these two? Linothele would probably be similar to theraphosids, since they are both mygalomorphs, what about cupiennius? Any photos would be welcome. Thanks

winter

Arachnosupporter +
I have no experience with Cupiennius so cannot speak to ease or difficulty of sex identification. As for Linothele, I have a Linothele sericata and never did know its sex until its ultimate molt when its tibial apophysis and palpal bulbs were evident. From the time it was a tiny sling until it was a mature male, it was always hidden in its intricate web tunnels and molts were always stashed away so ventral sexing or molt sexing were not possible.

ForTW

Arachnobaron
Yeah they have a sexual dimorphism. Males are more orange like bright and females start to darken.
There are some females covering up as a male till subadult.
Also females get a lot larger.

Saksida2000

Arachnosquire
Yeah they have a sexual dimorphism. Males are more orange like bright and females start to darken.
There are some females covering up as a male till subadult.
Also females get a lot larger.
When does the dimorphism start? I thought it only starts when they mature?

liquidfluidity

Arachnoknight
Their color will show a bit before maturity. The male will of course show first. The females coloration will change slightly until the molt to maturity and then it's colors will pop