Sexing issue/question

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The point of my post.. Toni is apologizing for starting a thread to get others opinions.. She is not calling you a bad seller/breeder.. Your "reputation" was never on the line..
Yet you put it out there as if it is..

Also.. The fact that this is an open to the public thread.. I feel I can voice my opinion on the fact that she shouldnt be apologizing for wanting others opinion.. ;)

You are right though.. From those photos.. No one can be 100% certain on the sex..
I should have stated it in the first place.. But I figured Toni knew that already.. She seems to be one of the more inteligent folks that have joined recently..

x Mr Awesome x

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The point of my post.. Toni is apologizing for starting a thread to get others opinions.. She is not calling you a bad seller/breeder.. Your "reputation" was never on the line..
Yet you put it out there as if it is..

Also.. The fact that this is an open to the public thread.. I feel I can voice my opinion on the fact that she shouldnt be apologizing for wanting others opinion.. ;)

You are right though.. From those photos.. No one can be 100% certain on the sex..
I should have stated it in the first place.. But I figured Toni knew that already.. She seems to be one of the more inteligent folks that have joined recently..

No you're right, Tommy. Toni didn't have to apologize, especially publicly. She doesn't need to apologize for trying to get help and fearing an issue with a transaction either. However, she showed a lot of class in doing so and maybe, just maybe, she thought I'd appreciate it, and I do. That is the end resolve thus far between seller and buyer and as of right now we are both happy and satisfied. Through pm's she knows that she can count on me no matter what and I encouraged her to maintain an open line of communication. To me that's a great thing and I don't know why you'd want it any other way. I'm working plenty hard to keep a positive online presence especially considering that from time to time I sell things. That reputation is tough to develop and even tougher to maintain. I hope you can respect that Tommy. Also, even though I'm not as vocal on the boards anymore, maybe I should be so that people get a sense that I'm part of the community. I'll start here. Tommy, I enjoyed your last feeding video. Nice snag on the pulchripes!

Cheers,
-ben

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree with Mr. awesome in his post. Generally, people jump to conclusions and so backing yourself up is not a bad thing. Not to mention that there was no "Hiding out"
I was Pm'ed to jump in to help but I generally don't get into sexing threads because there are some that judge ones character or reputation by the answers in those threads. Instead I prefer to get PM's which by the way will always be answered and a complete pleasure to do so. Thats what many do in my case.

With that being said, in the begining everyone said male yet the picture was not clear. The best advice I can offer Toni is wait till the next molt. Then attempt again. Contrary to many peoples beleif here in this forum, Grammostola pulchra does not take years to grow...But merely months.

I have proven this in my past posts and will say with total certainty that Toni will not have to wait long to get another crack at sexxing the molt again.

Good luck Toni and its always a pleasure helping you out.;)

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey Tommy, can I have some free tarantulas? {D

(Saw the video earlier, made me laugh.)

I think OP should have pm'd Mr. Awesome first before starting this thread to avoid all of this. If I was in Mr. Awesome's position, I would want to make things right and make sure no one thought I was going to be ripping them off. Mistakes happen, and if it was a confirmed female that turned out to be male. I would want everyone to know I would refund the money. Just my two cents..

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree with Mr. awesome in his post. Generally, people jump to conclusions and so backing yourself up is not a bad thing. Not to mention that there was no "Hiding out"
I was Pm'ed to jump in to help but I generally don't get into sexing threads because there are some that judge ones character or reputation by the answers in those threads. Instead I prefer to get PM's which by the way will always be answered and a complete pleasure to do so. Thats what many do in my case.

With that being said, in the begining everyone said male yet the picture was not clear. The best advice I can offer Toni is wait till the next molt. Then attempt again. Contrary to many peoples beleif here in this forum, Grammostola pulchra does not take years to grow...But merely months.

I have proven this in my past posts and will say with total certainty that Toni will not have to wait long to get another crack at sexxing the molt again.

Good luck Toni and its always a pleasure helping you out.;)
Your right.. Backing yourself up is a good thing.. But.. Who said anything about "Hiding out"?

No one's reputation was on the line.. No one said that Ben was ripping her off.. No one even knew who the seller was until Ben commented in the thread.. I simply asked if it was someone who was reputable or random..

People do jump to conclusions.. Why? Because it happens.. People lie.. People sell things as one thing that its really not to make their money.. Not everyone does this.. But some do.. (Not trying to imply thats what Ben does..)

Let me say this real fast.. Toni.. It is best to wait for another molt to confirm if this was a simple mistake.. Wait.. Do some people even make those anymore? :rolleyes:

Let me make this clear again.. No one... Not a single person.. Is saying Ben tried "Hide out".. No one... :razz:

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
Hey Tommy, can I have some free tarantulas? {D

(Saw the video earlier, made me laugh.)

I think OP should have pm'd Mr. Awesome first before starting this thread to avoid all of this. If I was in Mr. Awesome's position, I would want to make things right and make sure no one thought I was going to be ripping them off. Mistakes happen, and if it was a confirmed female that turned out to be male. I would want everyone to know I would refund the money. Just my two cents..
I think you should re-read this thread. I did not ask what sex it was in my post. I asked if I had mangled the molt by trying to find a flap.

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think you should re-read this thread. I did not ask what sex it was in my post. I asked if I had mangled the molt by trying to find a flap.
But you bought it as a confirmed female. If you had doubts you should have contacted the seller. You posted the pictures of the molt, of course people are going to sex it when you end your sentence with "what do you think?" It seems to me like you wanted everyone to sex it.

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
But you bought it as a confirmed female. If you had doubts you should have contacted the seller. You posted the pictures of the molt, of course people are going to sex it when you end your sentence with "what do you think?" It seems to me like you wanted everyone to sex it.
I'm trying to learn how to do this. So sorry I asked for assistance. It was the first molt in my care.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I didn't see any mangling of the molt.

I also didn't see any spermathecae. Unless you can get some closer pictures that clearly show spermathecae, my opinion is that it's a male.

This is also why I believe microscope sexing at such small instars is not something that is 'guaranteed' - people see what they want to see most of the time.

billopelma's post about gonopores (male accessory organs, actually) is correct, but on a specimen that size, you're not going to see them unless you've got a much, much closer shot.

x Mr Awesome x

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Joe what is your opinion on the two molt shots that I provided at the top of the page? One of those is Toni's and the other is mine. Obviously I had more angles to look at being that I took the pics and kept the best ones and I feel very strongly that I saw an identical, almost transparent, flap in each. In addition, the spacing of the first pair of book lungs is quite wide, in my humble opinion. Anyway, since we're all going to find out sooner or later I thought I'd ask your assessment of those pics. Thanks.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Would you mind outlining what you believe to be spermathecae in those pictures?

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
Here are ventral pictures of the two.

Here is my male before his last molt.

Here is the female before this recent molt.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Toni... I just want to be the first to say this.. As I am sure you know... Ventral sexing is never accurate... I had an A. avic that looked female venttrally.. It matured male...

Im not saying that is the case with your pulchras.. But its still ventral sexing..

I even sold a couple pulchras that looked female ventrally.. But confirmed male by a molt... The guy that bought them emailed me & said they were both males & knew the risk.. Since I did not garuntee either to be females...

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
Yeah, I know that ventral sexing isn't anywhere near accurate, but thought since they are the only decent pictures I am able to provide.. ;)

x Mr Awesome x

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Joe I don't have microsoft paint or whatever people use to draw on images. The thin and clear flap shape, unmistakable in what I'm describing, is what I'm talking about. I have sexed several t's at this size. Females have a tiny flap like this female B emilia I sexed yesterday:

This girl is now 1.5". Her molt was pulled immediately after she was done with it. I had to retrieve the pulchra molts from the ground. The males at this size have nothing but a blank space between the first two book lungs. Sorry if this post doesn't help.

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

This? I hope you don't mind me doing this for you. Just trying to help.

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Haha, yes but that's the wrong molt. I need the pics top of page two outlined.
Damn, I am too tired to do it right now. If someone doesn't beat me to it then I will do it in the morning. I am terrible at sexing but if I can tell what you were talking about I am sure everyone else can as well.