Sexing issue/question

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
Here's my issue. I soaked the molt for a few, then pulled it out and laid it on a plate. I was moving the side of a toothpick across trying to see if there was a flap. I took some pictures, but they were horrible because the molt was still wet (and my camera isn't good). I let it dry out, but now it seems "smooshed" together in that area. I didn't see any flap. The molt is about 2 inches and it's very difficult for me to see any detail in that area being as small as it is. I'm worried that the pictures aren't useful any longer. What do you think?

Here's the molt when it was wet

and after it dried

on top of a flashlight

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
i wanna say male i dont really see the leaf like exstension but i could be wrong

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Whos molt is it? Im going to say male either way actually.. Is that your "female" pulchra?

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
It is my "female" pulchra. I think it looks male also. The crazy thing is that ventrally they look so different. He has the dot, "she" does not. But I don't see anything that indicates female on the molt.

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
It is my "female" pulchra. I think it looks male also. The crazy thing is that ventrally they look so different. He has the dot, "she" does not. But I don't see anything that indicates female on the molt.
y so if someone sold you " female g. pulchra" then you kinda got... miss guided.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Correct me if I am wrong.. You bought her as confirmed female.. Right? Someone would deff replacing a spider if I were in your shoes.. Either that or replacing my money... One or the other...

belljar77

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That's shady Toni, I hope you get it resolved. Bono needs a girlfriend.

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Not sure I'd be jumping to positive conclusions based on those pics alone. I don't see anything that screams female but also nothing that looks specifically male. Could easily be the photo angle but seems like a pretty deep cove for a male and while I see no female hardware I see no gonopore either.

This is what you're looking for, can be quite transparent when wet and very elusive when dry and stuck down. You may need better magnification. That's a common pin for size reference.

Bill

x Mr Awesome x

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I sold Toni what I believed and continue to believe to be a female Pulchra. Let me add to that that I do not possess the ability to rip someone off. I have never in my life done someone wrong and wouldn't think of doing it here. I have expressed to Toni that I want her to be happy immediately after offering her a full refund and I'd pay for shipping for the pulchra to come back to me if that is what she wanted. Hopefully that eases the minds of some people who may not think I am a trustworthy individual. Now, moving onto competence. I don't particularly think I'm lacking in that department either. Here are the molts from each girl that I had in my possession. They molted on the exact same morning and I took these pics that day:

Pulchra 1

Pulchra 2

I don't know which of these two is the one that she purchased but in my eyes I very clearly see a flap area between the first two booklungs on each specimen. Now, at this age the spermathacae will not be prominent in density but will be apparent in shape, so keep that in mind.
Here is the girl that I kept for myself after her molt which was shortly after Toni received hers. So this would be at identical instar between our two:

Hope this can add some credibility to my reputation. Also, I will add that in all it's collective wisdom these 'boards' are wrong from time to time, even with several opinions. Seems unfortunate that people would want to jump on the 'I got ripped off' bandwagon or attempt to instigate the very idea without giving one of it's own members the benefit of the doubt.

-ben

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
First of all.. my deepest apologies to Ben (Mr. Awesome). This thread should have never been started. I say that I follow Steve's (TalonAWD's) tutorial for sexing a molt, but that isn't true since I have a crappy camera and no microscope. I clearly lack the equipment to attempt such a thing with only a 2" specimen. I should have titled this "molt issues" not sexing issues because my question actually was about whether or not I screwed up the molt - not what gender the T was. But I let myself get hyped up by the first few responses, which were based on pictures clearly not up to standard for sexing. It's no one's fault but my own and I want to apologize to everyone in this thread.

Ben, you are absolutely right to defend yourself here. You shouldn't have had to do it in the first place. I still believe that this is female because I don't think there is much of a chance that it would look so completely different ventrally from my male if it was male.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy more T's from Ben and I hope that my mistake here hasn't caused anyone to feel differently about his reputation. This was my fault.

Thank you.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Toni.. You dont have to apologize.. If I am not mistaken... It does not say anywhere in here that Ben (Mr. Awesome) is a bad guy.. Or that he even tried to rip you off...

The fact that is happens so often to people.. People selling something unsexed.. Knowing its a male... Or just lying about it being male or female or whatever... Its so normal.. That is why I asked if you bought it from someone reputable or random..

Mr. awesome came in here & expressed he was the seller.. Not you..

Im not quite sure why he would be so quick to assume that his "reputation" is at risk... If it is indeed a female then why get so worked up? :?

x Mr Awesome x

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Tommy,
What exactly is the point of your post?

Thanks,
Ben

Toni,
Again, I appreciate it very much and remind you that I will take care of you regardless. Thank you.