Sexing Different Species of Scorpions

moymoy

Arachnopeon
Four examles of what I believe are female Androctonus mauritanicus, females lack the notch found on the male pedipalps fixed "finger".

The top and bottom pic on the left are more mature, they do have a small indent on the fixed pedipalp finger, but the notch of the males is much more noticable.

Great thread so far...:clap:
do this apply to all Androctonus species? It's kinda hard to count the pectines.. I have blurry vision and my eyeglasses makes me vomit lol

Lorenzo Benevento

Arachnosquire
Here is the way to sex the genera Pandinus and Heterometrus
and lots of others..

the specimens in the photo are Heterometrus laoticus
a male and a female

you sex them by looking at their Pectines, the "feathery" things on the underside of the body. The males have longer "teeth" on the pectines, and their angles are more horizontal.
also the pectines themselves are thicker (the "wings")

these pictures illustrate what you should see in either Male or Female Pandinus or Heterometrus species.

EDIT: also, the male is supposed to have more teeth!

EDIT 2: see the shape of the Genital operculum, the males points towards the front of the scorpion, and the females points towards the rear
(only works in Heterometrus, and differs in different species)
There is no pics. This post is amazing, but a lot of pics are missing.

Cpitt

Arachnopeon
I know this is an old post, but does anyone have any idea on differences between male and female Leiurus quinquestriatus?

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
With parabuthus villosus oranje morph you can tell the sexes by the size of the hands. Males have fat hands and females have slender hands. Females are also bigger and more tank-like than the slimmer males.
Its basically the same across all three colour morphs of this species.

DezertRatt

Arachnopeon
This is an awesome post, and it should be brought back to life with many more photos since most of them are gone...fantastic info. Nothing changes in 17 years regarding this subject!