Sexing by pedipalps

heering80

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Couldn't find a thread about this topic, at least not a clearly named one..

My question: I have a 12cm LS Hysterocrates gigas, that is probably no more than two years old. Yesterday when rehousing it, I saw something in resemblance of a claw or small thorn in its pedipalps. It's really small and brown in colour, and located in the side of the palp maybe couple of mm from the point. The point of the palp definitely isn't like on those other legs, but blunter in shape. Can't really take a photo, sorry. Soo - should the male pedipalps be recognisable at that early age?

Anyways, I ordered two more in case this turns out to be a male :)

Trenor

Arachnoprince
According to this link, H.gigas are one of the tarantula species that doesn't develop tibial hooks. So males will not have hooks even if they are mature. They will have bulbous pedipalps though so you should look for that.

Tarantulas will only have bulbous pedipalps or hooks when they are mature if males. Until then you can not tell the sex based off those two things. The only way to tell earlier is by Epiandrous fusillae sexing or Spermathecae sexing.

heering80

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for your reply Trenor! Your link explains why I don't see any hooks. The palps just look so much more like the ones on the male (in the picture below), that it got me wondering if it is possible for it to have matured in two years time.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I've not personally raised this species but from what I understand they are fast growers and can easily reach maturity in two years. Males are usually smaller than females so that can explain why he is smaller than you imaged it should be. If your seeing boxing gloves then it's a he and he is mature. I'd look around and see if someone needs a male for breed.

Last edited:

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I have kept a pair of this species many years ago and my male matured quite quickly, i think it was approx. 2 years too.

MM H. gigas palps look like the ones in the photo you posted though i would say they were that bulbous.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
The emboli on adult males is the best way to sex them. About 2 dozen genera don't have tibial spurs.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
In species that have tibial apophyses, or spurs, they are not on the pedipalps.