Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Sexing Asian Forest Scorpions

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by Dragonrain, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Dragonrain

Dragonrain Arachnopeon

NJ
    Advertisement
    I apologize for being such a newb! Are you guys sick of helping ppl sex their scorpions yet? If not (lol)...

I recently took in 4 Asian forest scorpions that a friend of mine couldn't keep anymore. Two of them are older adults, the other two are juveniles. He said he purchased them as Heterometrus longimanus. Any thoughts on whether or not that is really the case would be awesome.

I'm trying to sex them. Theoretically I know what I'm supposed to be looking for but I don't have much confidence doing it myself. They all kind of look the same to me! So either they really are all the same sex, or I just suck at this.

I only have clear photos of 1 (for now) so I'll include those. But I'd love to hear from more experienced keepers on what all 4 of them are. I'll come back and post the others once I get some better pictures. For now here's #1 (my guess is male, btw). Thanks in advance!

20190403_220325.jpg
    20190403_220617.jpg

2. beetleman

beetleman Arachnoking Old Timer

yep, looks male to me, it's most likely h. petersii, the most common.

3. Dragonrain

Dragonrain Arachnopeon

NJ
    Awesome, thank you! I'll look into h. petersii and see if I can figure out how to tell the difference. I assume care is the same? Here are pictures of the other 3, if someone wouldn't mind trying to sex them for me. This first one is also an adult...
    2.jpg
    These two are juveniles, so quite a bit smaller than the first two. I assume sexing them isn't as accurate when they're not adults? I'll post them anyways. Here's #3...
    3.jpg
    And #4...
    4.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.