Sexing a hissing cockroach?

SageN

Arachnopeon
Hi all. I purchased some (I think) Madagascar hissing cockroaches as feeder bugs awhile back but ended up keeping one and have grown fond of them lol. I was wondering if there’s a way to determine its sex if I post a photo

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
Hi all. I purchased some (I think) Madagascar hissing cockroaches as feeder bugs awhile back but ended up keeping one and have grown fond of them lol. I was wondering if there’s a way to determine its sex if I post a photo
Ya, gonna need a photo of an unknown possible hisser species.

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
Looks like a female. The males have a wider abdomen with very pronounced pronotum. Also with females on the ventral side you can see the super wide and long segment that terminates at the b-hole. Males have a split in that last segment.
Edit: Didn't bother to look up the proper terminology for anus. B-hole is what I'm going with.

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
Looks like a female. The males have a wider abdomen with very pronounced pronotum. Also with females on the ventral side you can see the super wide and long segment that terminates at the b-hole. Males have a split in that last segment.
Edit: Didn't bother to look up the proper terminology for anus. B-hole is what I'm going with.

Attachments

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
You’ll know when you see one.

It literally looks like this:

D9AD277C-93AF-4E56-8FCF-C948C29449DF.jpeg

Yeah I drew it.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Do males butt heads and push each other during a teriritory dispute? I know other insects do this.

Last edited:

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
Do males butt heads and push each other durng a teriritory dispute? I know other insects do this.
They do! They also shake butts at each other to show how spicey and large they are. At night you will hear them hissing and jostling for position. It's hilarious.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They do! They also shake butts at each other to show how spicey and large they are. At night you will hear them hissing and jostling for position. It's hilarious.
Thanks!! I knew about the hissing. Not the rest. I think it’s a hilarious how “violent” they “think” they are. Sort of like how my chameleon would inflate himself with air- yep he’s a tough guy!

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
Thanks!! I knew about the hissing. Not the rest. I think it’s a hilarious how “violent” they “think” they are. Sort of like how my chameleon would inflate himself with air- yep he’s a tough guy!
To be fair if you aren't prepared the hissing can startle you.