Sex Quiz!!

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
well the spermathecae is right there...:mad: what else can i say?
as if i haven't said enough :mad:
LMAO!!! You have ALMOST said enough!! In fact you are getting warm yourself ;)

can you post another maybe over it type pic.....i just see a grey mass:wall:
If this doesnt get resolved I may have to ;)

It's male because there is no spermathecae, it's an illusion!:cool:
Illusion!!!!!:? Where is this "illusion"?:D

i have a question. Is the trick question about what the molt actually looks like and that is in fact represented well in the photo or is the photo deceiving?
Actually this is no trick question and what you see is what it is :)

Since I'm too lazy to type out my own reply, I'll post a link to Chris' reply on another thread which was just fabulous.
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showpost.php?p=969629&postcount=8
Laura!!!! You getting lazy!!!! Oh my!!!:eek: All I can say to you is....
NEXT!!!........{D {D

It is a male because Megaphobema spermethecae do not have "horns". They are a half moon shape.
Where are these "horns" and "half moons"??:confused:
Am I missing something here:? hehehe

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Aren't mature females that are freshly molted more black? I seem to remember big fresh females being darker. In that case forget the molt, coloration says male.

Of course I could be COMPLETELY off.....

(I should admit the molt kinda looks female to me.....but pictures can be deceiving)

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Molt says female, all the right bits look to be in place....... weirdly lightly colored female.... or maybe she is smaller than I realize.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
all the right bits look to be in place.......
Bits??? What bits???

Ya know, I got bit by dog
that made me bleed like a hog!!

I never should have put my hand in its mouth!!
That experience give me something to think about!!:eek:

LMAO!!!{D

NEXT!!!........[/SIZE]
{D {D

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Dont be stumped Paul! This is fairly easy and I know you can sex a T ;)

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Look you guys... you have to look for the Uterus externus (aka Flap), which i think that i see there. you must look at either taxonomic keys or other sources for how the "flap" is supposed to be shaped with this species. i DO see a uterus externus, unless that is just an illusion from the angle of the camera.. but that.. the uterus externus.. is what you are primarily looking for, and why i am saying female :D

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Look you guys... you have to look for the Uterus externus (aka Flap), which i think that i see there. you must look at either taxonomic keys or other sources for how the "flap" is supposed to be shaped with this species. i DO see a uterus externus, unless that is just an illusion from the angle of the camera.. but that.. the uterus externus.. is what you are primarily looking for, and why i am saying female :D
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
I'm impressed!! ;)

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hahaha yes, i've been closely studying the uterus externus shapes of grammostola species, the shapes can come in handy when trying to differentiate between species, such as my inermis (which died the other day *cries*) and something such as pulchra. my female WAS indeed inermis, but now she's dead and in a jar of preservative.. *cries some more* lol

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Dont be stumped Paul! This is fairly easy and I know you can sex a T ;)
Hha I was saying male, cause it was clearly obvious it was female, but the way you worded it made me think that it was a trick question. Like maybe this species has a flap as a male or something, so I went with male. :p

Nice one though!

robbie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nice one Brian, I was stumped. I was thinking female only cause i saw a flap. (new to the hobby, only been in for about a year and a half, not sure of myself about sexing)

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
bravo bliss....much better then my explanation!!!

i too am at a point that i hate the explanation it had a flap:wall: as to why it was sexed as such...there's a little more to it then folds...lol..

and to brian :clap: i must say, i do think that this was a long time coming ....it really got us to think and examine our answers.... and as we saw, you just couldn't say F or M based on what the guy in front of you said..since in alot of sex me threads we can sometimes just jump on the bandwagon because we see someone with experience say it is so;)

wayne

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
bravo bliss....much better then my explanation!!!

i too am at a point that i hate the explanation it had a flap:wall: as to why it was sexed as such...there's a little more to it then folds...lol..

Things to look for when sexing:
Female:
look for the spermathicae, the uterus externus, and the Bursa copulatrix

-spermathicae are the little "bunny ears" you look for on the flap
-flap = uterus externus (the spermathicae join this and branch off, hence the bunny ears)
-Bursa copulatrix = the area under the uterus externus that resembles more of a pit.

all three of those are present only in females

for males, look for the Gonopore.. it's located in the middle of the epigastric furrow ;) it will resemble a pair of lips.
but that's rather hard to see, unless you have a microscope.

cheers
-dan