Severely concerned for my A. Chalcodes

Nebs Tarantulas

Arachnosquire
So she is a little big and not in premolt and I'm worried because she isn't using her spider treadmill or dumbells, I've been putting motivational quotes around her enclosure but I think she only reads German, I think I might have to start feeding her salad..what kind of salads to tarantulas like?

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
The bigger of my two is huge. She also thinks she's a bulldozer.
She fasted for a year, and I think it is because I was fat shaming her ChonkDozer.jpg

Cmac2111

Arachnomac
Arachnosupporter
You can add my girl Biscuit to the big chalcodes club. Recently ate for the first time in almost 2 years... not like she needed it.

bis 1.jpg

Last edited:

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
yes, but be prepared for long fasts. Of note, the hide in my photo was covered in dirt, rotated 90 degrees and against the far left side of the enclosure. The removal of dirt, 4" move and 92 degree rotation was all her

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So like many others, they can be prone to overeating and then go off feed for a few years ? It's good to know these things beforehand. Don't have an Aphono currently, but I would love to have one of the US-native species at one point, despite the possible fasting spells. Lovely pictures btw.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
So like many others, they can be prone to overeating and then go off feed for a few years ? It's good to know these things beforehand. Don't have an Aphono currently, but I would love to have one of the US-native species at one point, despite the possible fasting spells. Lovely pictures btw.
Aphonopelma are a highly under rated Ts by many, but not me. I love them. Hearty, docile, lovely, long lived and relatively cheap, save a couple species. I personally believe the A. chalcodes is the #1 beginner T in the western hemisphere.

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
I've had my chalcodes for over a year. It was like 1/4" when I got it last September. It's now 1/2" maybe 3/4" tops.. and hasn't eaten in like 3 months. Lol

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I've had my chalcodes for over a year. It was like 1/4" when I got it last September. It's now 1/2" maybe 3/4" tops.. and hasn't eaten in like 3 months. Lol
I have 2, I female and one subadult whom hasn't grown much in the last 3 years

Cmac2111

Arachnomac
Arachnosupporter
Yeah, they are glaciers when it comes to growth for sure, and often aren't exactly fond of this little concept called 'eating' lol. Got my big girl in the pics above from an older dude who had her as a small 'juvenile', said she's 10 or 11 but I'd wager she's actually even older. Also have a male subadult for 3 years... molted once.

slocoj91

Arachnosquire
The bigger of my two is huge. She also thinks she's a bulldozer.
She fasted for a year, and I think it is because I was fat shaming her View attachment 429772
Glad I'm not the only one who's judgemental about their T's weight. I have several who sit in their 'feed me' spots constantly and get offended when only water is offered.