SEVERE mycosis on rescue scorpion

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
just adopted some scorps from a friend moving to Korea, one is a desert hairy with some of the worst mycosis i have ever seen. the scorpion seems to have a healthy appetite but has poor use of its legs and i dont think it can dig very well anymore. i'll put a pic up later, but for right now does anyone have any reccomendations for a good fungicide to use and where to get it?

John

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Cool that you saved it, is it an adult? I think the black parts will stay black whether the fungus is alive or dead, I think it's the damage done that is black and not the fungus, don't know for sure though. I think putting in on dry sub is enough to kill the fungus. However I've thought about using Fungicure you can get at HEB or other grocery-type stores. I thought about trying it on something using a Qtip and spot dressing joints and other places. I don't know how species specific fungicure is though but I'm thinking it might work. I forgot what the main active ingredient is but it seems pretty universal in anti-fungus treatments.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Alright here's the pics. i'm sure it must be an adult as my friend has had it for four years he says. i'm going to come out in his defense and say that despite the scorpion's condition he did nothing wrong, the area he lives in is a very humid area, and keeping desert scorpions is very difficult because of the mycosis issue. it is much smaller than my old desert hairy, but not so small that its impossible for it to be an adult. as you can see it has severe mycosis in almost all joints, a few missing feet, and its first pair of legs seem to be permanently curled under as ive noticed it just sort of walks on the knees of those legs. it seems very docile, and even let me hold it on its back for taking these pictures, which makes me wonder about the health issue. its a shame to see, but hopefully i'll be able to provide it with a good home and see about nursing it back to health as best i can. again it was not my friend's fault, he did everything right but this scorpion now needs the help of a more advanced keeper which is why i have it now. it was being kept on unpacked reptile sand with a partially burried hut in a 10 gallon. ordinarily i would make a burrower setup for this species, but given his condition, and the fact that it seems relaxed in his hut, i think that his digging days are done and i'll leave him like he is.

John

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Oh, man...that looks painful. Poor guy. I hope you will be able to help him. :(

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's a serious case of Mycosis there.
But once the damage is done, it is irreversable.
Only thing you can do is keep it from getting more

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just throwing ideas out for you without much thought into them. These are general natural anti-fungals. Hydrogen Peroxide, Baking soda, and Neem oil. Neem is also a natural insecticide and I have no idea of it's effect on arachnids, please research before using.

Copper sulfate and lime sulfur are also used, extreme caution there though. :)

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You know, reading all this stuff online is interesting, but the the fungus and anti-fungals seem to have to match. For example, peroxide supposedly contains the horrible "black mold" that makes people sick. But it won't work on other things.

OH, just found it. Of course, TEA TREE OIL!!!! That's it right there. Betcha it clears it right up. Apparently will work on ring worm too! :)