setups, moving, temperment

dilleo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was just wondering where people keep their t's, like if they have their own room for them. Also, if you have hard problems moving them and get all freaked out when one gets out for a while. Then, how they act and compared to what you've heard of that species do any act 'abnormally'. I have my own personal room with a heater and humidifier, try to make them as comfortable as possible when moving them (even if I have to let them run around a while), and all my guys act pretty close to what I've heard. What about you?

-Jeremy

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
I've got mine in my room, since I live in a small apartment. When my roommate leaves, his room is getting overtaken by a similar setup as you describe, so I can get as many as I wish. Right now, my 11 are a little cramped:

Bill

Attachments

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have an extra bedroom that is for herps/inverts. it is a lot easier to keep the room temp controlled than trying to keep the whole house heated to the correct temps. I have a buddy that has two bedrooms loaded to the gills with over 1500 t's, there are kritter keepers of every color imaginable on shelves floor to ceiling and wall to wall.
Ed

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Hi,
Mine are in a spare room, with the BRB, my scorp, and my sister's abandoned Uromastyx lizards. I also have a stand up heater, if the temp goes too low. (I'll snap some pics tomorrow) If I have to move anyone, due to cage cleaning and what not, I have a very large & long tupperware storage chest. I place them inside the tub, and do the switching there. For my more feisty guys, I usually do the changeovers in the bathroom, with my hair pinned back. With my smithi & blondi, I usually have no shirt on..:eek: (my blondi ran up my sleeve once, and got entangled)

Peace,
Gillian

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have mine in their own room (they share a room with the feeders and a stock tank of blue crawdads) that has an oil filled radiant heater and a small humidifier. The humidifier is basically to counteract the drying effects of the heater.

I move them as seldom as possible and I've not really had any problems. I was expecting my T. blondi and my H. minax to give me problems, but the transfers went smoothly.

As for temperment, most seem to follow the norms. I do very little handling though so I couldn't really comment on whether or not my G. pulchra or B. smithi are docile enough to handle. I handle them if they crawl onto my arm while I'm working in their enclosure or moving them to a new home. Basically, I just like to watch them.

Botar

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I keep mine in a walk in closet thats about 6' by 5'. the closet is convieniently shelved so that along the bottom i keep my larger glass cages ( communal emperor scorps, cottonmouth snake etc) on the floor. then the first shelf holds my H. lividum, my T. blondi(both in 10 gallons), and a stack of kk's containing my various other t's. on top of that is yet another shelf where i keep my slings and aboreals. the biggest problem i have with moving t's is with my slings. it seems the second i open the viles, my usumbaras have taken to running right up my arm. this is also the case with my versicolor. no matter how many times i usher them back into the vile, the turn and run back out before i get the cap on. i can hardly wait till they are bigger:rolleyes: .

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
your setups for your Ts looks so dangerous.. what if there's an earthquake... :?

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Originally posted by Theraposa
your setups for your Ts looks so dangerous.. what if there's an earthquake... :?
You sound like my Mother-In-Law. I'll tell you what I tell her....Personally, I think that if there's an earthquake, you have much bigger problems to worry about than your T's.....

Scott :)

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by Theraposa
If there's an earthquake in chicago that I can feel more than the train passing by, I'll spread them out more. Till then, I'm gonna go with the odds.

Bill

dilleo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
geez atavuss, i wonder who you could be talking about? the only person i know in ca to keep over 1500 t's in critter keepers including arboreals.

-Jeremy

Kenny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Behavior

Well,my P.Irminia is really a fast spider and kinda shy,more shy than I would expect from this arboel.:)

I got my Goliath Pinktoe ( A. Braunhauseni) the other day and it's about 1,5+ inch and that little guy has a temper,:) rearing up and lives up probably to the temper to be among the more defensive of the Avicularia.

My Chaco is as docile they are "supposed" to be, with one exeption and that was once when I gave her new food that she wasn't used to and this , she's big, 7 inches, completly freaked her out and she was going on like an "orange bitey thingey":D and slammed her fangs into the substrate so hard in the 10 gallon setup, that I have for her, so I could feel the vibration from the hit. Then she sat for about 15 minutes in Usambara position with her legs, she was really impressive in that position and one funny thing was that I took a pen and gently started to push her legs down, one by one and finally she was sitting in a "normal" T positon with her legs and then she turned around and walked back to her hide out.:)

One of my Versicolors has really adapted a lazy position towards "hunting", she never leaves the webtube and allways sit waiting upwards for me to drop food in there for her/him ( about 2 inches), so she is easy to feed.:)

Otherwise most of my T's have all some little odd thing going on.