setup for first T and scorp?

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I figured it'd be better to ask about setups for both animals in one post, instead of posting the same thing in two forums. Anyways...if I were to get a G. rosea or G. pulchra, and H. troglodytes or P. imperator, I figured I'd get a juvenile in a kritter keeper thing approx. 6" tall, 4" deep, and 8" wide. As far as substrate, I thought I might use Forest Bed which is similar to Bed-a-Beast, just different brand. I've heard Forest Bed can have problems with mold, how can I prevent this? About this peat moss w/ vermiculite, where do I get this stuff? It seems like a lot of people use peat moss w/ vermiculite. However, I've heard that vermiculite is bad for them, is this true? How deep would I want the substrate to allow for burrowing...about 3"? I'm thinking of using a flower pot on its side or something to provide a place to hide. How about heat? Do they need a heat pad or something like my snakes do? Or would room temperature work well? In the snake room, it stays at a pretty stable 75-80 degrees year-round, day or night. I intend on keeping whatever inverts I get in that room because it stays warm, and they'll be out of the cat's reach.

Now if I were to work with species that prefer drier climates, i.e. A. moderatum, B. smithi, H. arizonensis (or spadix), what would be a better substrate? At the risk of sounding ignorant, would sand be a good choice? TYIA...

Bry

Aboreal Rayne

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Stuff...

Bry,
Most of the creatures you speak of have similar basic needs. Substrate and a hide. Like one or two inces of substrate on bottom witha hide (like a cup or can). That about covers it, as for bed a beast hevn't heard very good things with mold about it, however I use Jungle Mix all the time. I've never had mite or mold problems. In fact I kinda like Jungle Mix!! I think it does an excelent job in simulating many spiders natural habitat. It doesn't really matter what you use for substrate. If you're looking to avoid mold and mites keep the humidity at a reasonable level, (not TOO high) unless called for. And the biggest point CLEAN cages!! Mold and mites can't live if they have nothing to live on!!;) ;)

Hope whatever is above helps!!

~Aboreal Rayne~

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
for substrate I use a mix of 3 parts vermiculite to 7 parts peat - This retains water whilst being sturdy enough to burrow

I've made a little cheap diagram for you to follow for the basic set up:

Attachments

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
For the H. troglodytes you will need to include lots of rocks for the scorpion to hide under. You should set them up so they form cracks, and the scorpion will make his/her home in it. I use flagstone as my rock of chioce. The H. troglodytes likes it dry while the P imperator likes it moist. I keep all my P. imperators on a moist substrate. Also the scorpions like warm, upper 80's. The tarantulas will do fine at room temp.

Last edited:

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks for the help, guys. I've seen peat moss at Lowe's, but I can't find vermiculite anywhere in that store. What does vermiculite do, and do I really need it?

Bry

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I found some for sale at Safeway the other day ago, $2.69 a bag.

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
Peat moss and vermiculite can be found in the same area
as items for house plants in most nursery departments.
They both come in small and large bags, prices usually
start around $2.97ea. I use the store brand at Franks's
Nursery. :)

Vermiculite helps keep moisture in the substrate.

I find that my T's do not have a real problem with moisture.
One of them is a real digger, he uses his water dish to
make mud balls and carries it around!

Some T's get the vermiculite stuck on their legs and it could
be an issue durring a molt. My T's have spun a carpet on their
substrate so it does not get stuck on them anymore.
They seem to find a way to adapt to most things.:)

Last edited: