Setting Up for A.Chalcodes homecomming (Input Welcome!)

Madmomgamer

Arachnopeon
So if I think about shipping my A.Chalcodes She will be shipped Monday and with overnight shipping She'll be here Tuesday morning (FedEx) She'll be about 3-3.5" and want to make sure she will have a great home. So I started on it today checked out some Habitats and Enclosures and went with about 50/50 moss/coconut fiber and gave her roughly about 3" of substrate to burrow in with also a starter burrow so if she wants to burrow or need a hide a hole she can have one/do so. Yes I am using a Critter Keeper (had one laying around). Let me know if I need to change anything before she gets here :D 20170408_171038.jpg 20170408_171026.jpg 20170408_171018.jpg

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
You may want to put in a water dish. Also, and this in just my opinion, tarantulas don't seem like like walking on pure moss very much. I don't think they like the give as they step. Not that it's particularly bad, I'm just not a fan.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Mine is almost never in her hide, so I'm not sure if yours will use the burrow a lot or not. Do keep in mind this is a species that likes it pretty dry, so if you moisten all that moss, it will not be happy.

Madmomgamer

Arachnopeon
You may want to put in a water dish. Also, and this in just my opinion, tarantulas don't seem like like walking on pure moss very much. I don't think they like the give as they step. Not that it's particularly bad, I'm just not a fan.
Yeah figured Id have to mix it up a bit more and of course Ill put a water dish in! Just want to make sure the substrate was good before adding a water dish. So Ill correct it a bit.

Madmomgamer

Arachnopeon
Mine is almost never in her hide, so I'm not sure if yours will use the burrow a lot or not. Do keep in mind this is a species that likes it pretty dry, so if you moisten all that moss, it will not be happy.
Figured that would happen but luckily I researched her before getting her and I will not be misting the enclosure. Especially since she will like it bone dry.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
KK are perfect. I don't see the reason for all of that moss, honestly. They aren't Theraphosidae that require a moist environment, a juve/adult is fine with a water dish.
I don't have so much moss not even in my S.subspinipes enclosure :-s

Madmomgamer

Arachnopeon
KK are perfect. I don't see the reason for all of that moss, honestly. They aren't Theraphosidae that require a moist environment, a juve/adult is fine with a water dish.
I don't have so much moss not even in my S.subspinipes enclosure :-s
Will make the proper adjustments and take out most of the moss and replace with coconut fiber. Mainly what Im looking at is the height is it reasonable? Will she be ok if she falls from a climb?

cold blood

Staff member
Will make the proper adjustments and take out most of the moss and replace with coconut fiber. Mainly what Im looking at is the height is it reasonable? Will she be ok if she falls from a climb?
Looks perfect in that respect.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Mainly what Im looking at is the height is it reasonable? Will she be ok if she falls from a climb?
Yup, remove that moss (IMO a waste, you can save that for T's that require a more humid set up/parameter, if you decide to buy one 'tomorrow') and you're done.

The inches of substrate are good, happy to see someone who isn't a "substrate Scrooge" :-s

Madmomgamer

Arachnopeon
Looks perfect in that respect.
That's perfect then! Moss is easier to remove and can be easily switched with cocofiber. My main concern of course was of the height so I was testing it, it kinda gives me an idea of what Im looking at as far as height for her enclosure. Figured she would want more cocofiber but always good to test the waters first and on the plus side I have a few days until she gets here so Yay!

Adenovirus19

Arachnopeon
Consider not getting too attached to your water dish. Mine buries hers within 4 hours of cleaning it and filling it. She also buried her hide. I have heard that of this species: many specimens will trash the prettiest enclosure.
Congratulations on your new pet. Definitely under-rated T!

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Consider not getting too attached to your water dish. Mine buries hers within 4 hours of cleaning it and filling it. She also buried her hide. I have heard that of this species: many specimens will trash the prettiest enclosure.
Maybe I'm just lucky, but mine has never buried her water dish. She does a good amount of moving dirt around, but that seems to happen mostly in the 3 corners where the water dish isn't.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Maybe I'm just lucky, but mine has never buried her water dish. She does a good amount of moving dirt around, but that seems to happen mostly in the 3 corners where the water dish isn't.
+1 on this
My girl does plenty of excavating, but she never dumps dirt into her water dish. She always dumps her bolus into it, but never dirt.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Congratulations on your new pet. Definitely under-rated T!
Regina used to bury her dish, but recently she just decided to build a wall around it :rofl: