Setting up a semi aquatic Invert tank

Herpetologydude

Arachnosquire
Hey everyone,

I've been doing some turtle research in some local lakes and have come across a fair share of cool aquatic/semi aquatic spiders. Dolomedes sp. is the most common (mostly triton, but some okefenokensis as well) and I've also come across some interesting little things that look like some sort of Tetragnathids but I'm not positive.

Anways I think I'm going to collect a few of these critters and set up a semi-aquatic tank at around 20 gallons in length. I'm planning on planting it up and maybe throwing some small Gambusia in there as well (seeing how I came across several Dolomedes chowing down on them!).

Any ideas on how to set this up? I've got some myself but would love some suggestions for substrate for the water and land sesctions?. I' think I'm going to divy it up as 3/4 water, 1/4 terrestria.

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Not sure if you should just use local sources for substrate and plants or if you want it more simplistic and controlled, but what ever you do take lots of pics.

Rue

Arachnoknight
I have no suggestions either...will you be using a filter of some sort?

But yes! Post pics as you experiment with the set-up! I'd be interested to see what works!

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Hey everyone,

I've been doing some turtle research in some local lakes and have come across a fair share of cool aquatic/semi aquatic spiders. Dolomedes sp. is the most common (mostly triton, but some okefenokensis as well) and I've also come across some interesting little things that look like some sort of Tetragnathids but I'm not positive.

Anways I think I'm going to collect a few of these critters and set up a semi-aquatic tank at around 20 gallons in length. I'm planning on planting it up and maybe throwing some small Gambusia in there as well (seeing how I came across several Dolomedes chowing down on them!).

Any ideas on how to set this up? I've got some myself but would love some suggestions for substrate for the water and land sesctions?. I' think I'm going to divy it up as 3/4 water, 1/4 terrestria.
Def. use a filter(10 gal?), you'll be inundated w/ feces in no time; would be cool if you could hide it behind a piece of downed cypress, maybe a piece with natural hide where a branch has fallen away. You may need a spray bar to keep the water flow rate down or risk pissing off the mosquito fish. If you want a dry patch of land, a piece of plexi cut to fit at one end and attached with aquarium sealant would do the trick. Must have pix! If you need Dolomedes babysitting, holla!:)

Necromion

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ive raised several dolomedes before, i have found that the best setup to view their hunting of fish is about a small tank (5 or 10 gal). to set it up i would either use gravel and build up a hill in the tank or just use aquarium silicon and add a permanent divider that goes to about 1/2 to 3/4 of the tank depth you dont have to worry about how wide this space is but i would recommend at atleast 5 inches for the spider to get off the water. I would then fill the smaller side with sub. and put a layer of gravel on the bigger (water side). as for a filter go to your local aquarium supply store and buy a cheap sponge filter and an air pump (if the filter needs it). this way you dont create a strong current in the water. I wouldnt use native plants as they can carry some not so nice things (leeches arent exactly friendly) instead if you want plants just buy some simple ones from the aquarium store.

a word of warning dolomedes can climb glass, are very fast, and are great escape artists.

sorry for the novel of a post but I thought it would help.