Setting up 10gal Vertival Desert Themed Terrarium

plew2000

Arachnopeon
Thanks for stopping by,

Here's the situation, I have a 15 gal planted tank in the middle, a thumbnail dart frog vivarium on the right. I want to add some symmetry and have two vertical tanks on either side of my planted tank, I also want the tanks to have very distinct environments. For contrast, I decided that a desert tank would go well with a jungle setup.

I would like to use straight sand in my desert tank and it will have an easily scalable background full of crevices. The dimensions will be 10x12x20. I really like the look of smaller desert scorpions but many of these are extremely venomous. I do not plan on handling the scorpion and am okay with it having potent venom, just nothing too deadly.

What are my options? Or is there another species of animal that could go better in my enclosure than a scorpion (preferably not a T). I have a lot of experience with pets, but not with invertebrates. Thanks for your time!

I will post a picture whenever I decide what to put in the habitat.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Paravaejovis sp., some Centruroides sp. (like sculpatrus), and various other NA species are available, not to mention some of the less-potent foreign buthids. You could also do a beetle/velvet wasp communal, a trapdoor setup as several species like to build their burrows out the sides of small washes in sort of scrub habitats, etc. There is actually quite a lot you could go with. Are you shooting for a communal or more of a single-species setup?

@woodie, @ArachnoDrew, @Smokehound714, @RTTB, y'all are much more experienced than I am; any thoughts?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

plew2000

Arachnopeon
Paravaejovis sp., some Centruroides sp. (like sculpatrus), and various other NA species are available, not to mention some of the less-potent foreign buthids. You could also do a beetle/velvet wasp communal, a trapdoor setup as several species like to build their burrows out the sides of small washes in sort of scrub habitats, etc. There is actually quite a lot you could go with. Are you shooting for a communal or more of a single-species setup?

@woodie, @ArachnoDrew, @Smokehound714, @RTTB, y'all are much more experienced than I am; any thoughts?

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Juicy ideas my friend, I'll have to research those species. And yes, I would love a communal setup with different species.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
C sculpturatus does pack a painful sting. A vertical set up is ideal for them. Consider C vittatus which is communal and fits your desert environment. Their sting is not typically as painful opinion wise so I hear.
I am basing this on the vertical set up. It seems the NA Centruroides like vertical bark and climbing.

woodie

Arachnosquire
The second pic is desert with backwall, However now if I were to do it would use a colored dryloc finish over foam, Maybe with embedded layered bark would be great for some Centruroides. For vertical arid enclosure.