ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Since I'm getting:

2 A. versicolor
P. cambridgei
C. cyaneopubescens

How should I set it up for each one
Also, how much different from each other does their critter keeper set up have to be? below is a picture of the actuall size of the critter keepers I brought .

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would imagine the three arboreals could have similar set-ups: Cork bark or some other tubing for a hide, a little substrate, glue a bottle cap halfway up the side of the container for a dish. Were you planning on putting the KK's sideways for the arboreals?

I don't own a GBB so I don't know what to tell you about the setup.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would imagine the three arboreals could have similar set-ups: Cork bark or some other tubing for a hide, a little substrate, glue a bottle cap halfway up the side of the container for a dish. Were you planning on putting the KK's sideways for the arboreals?

I don't own a GBB so I don't know what to tell you about the setup.
No i wasnt gonna put them sideways for fear of me tipping it over by accident and either the spider getting loose and I can't find it any more or the whole thing falling and they die in the fall... so I was going to set it up the regular way for the time being.

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I keep my 3" GBB in a critter keeper like the one in the picture. It really depends on the size of your sling. I use dry cocopeat substrate, no waterdish since I live in a tropical country. I place an inverted Y shape branch diagonally against one side of the enclosure. The GBB will web the branch and not the walls of your enclosure.

Here's a picture of a similar set-up I described. I used this enclosure when my GBB was still less than an inch long. The plastic container is 4" diameter.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I keep my 3" GBB in a critter keeper like the one in the picture. It really depends on the size of your sling. I use dry cocopeat substrate, no waterdish since I live in a tropical country. I place an inverted Y shape branch diagonally against one side of the enclosure. The GBB will web the branch and not the walls of your enclosure.

Here's a picture of a similar set-up I described. I used this enclosure when my GBB was still less than an inch long. The plastic container is 4" diameter.

Ok so this went well, I got the package and all four of them came in great health.

My two vesicolors were very energetic and they scrambled out of the napkin real fast after i took them out of the viles one by one.

So three of my tarantulas (for the time being) are housed in a critter keeper.
And one of my Vesicolors is housed in a jar.

This is so funny because the one that is housed in the jar when I kept turning it in circles to get a good picture it kept walking around the jar which got frustating but then i set the jar down it stopped moving and i got two pictures from it and they are below. I'll rehouse the other vesicolor when i get another jar. and I'll rehouse the GBB when I get another round critter keeper.

So in the meantime? do I just leave them alone? or should I try to feed them?

The Trinidad chevon is the biggest of the four and the GBB is the smallest.

almost forgot to ask/mention my vesicolor in the critter keeper has actually burrowed...is this normal because of the space prefered by this species and space given by me?

pictures of the others to come.

elyanalyous

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
how big are your slings, b/c thost kk have holes for airtubes in the top. slings (if small enough) can squeeze through these gaps...

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
how big are your slings, b/c thost kk have holes for airtubes in the top. slings (if small enough) can squeeze through these gaps...
The vesicolor is 1.25 inches
the P.Cambridgei is 2.5 inches
The C. Cyneopubesens is 1 inch

Thanks for worrying because I'm kind of worrying about them escaping but I keep checking on them on they don't seem to be going anywhere at all. and I think they are actually to big to squeeze out at all.

ribnum

Arachnopeon
just bare

just bare in mind Ts dont need much space.. just make sure that it is proportional to its body.. hope it adds up...

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
just bare in mind Ts dont need much space.. just make sure that it is proportional to its body.. hope it adds up...
When the T's are facing vertically ( straight up and down) and leanin on the critter cage top its body is wider than one of the bars so its body actually covers like a bar and a half.

Also my A. Vesicolors are very fast, how do you people who have them keep them in the jar with them escaping? and if they eat a cricket and leave it at the bottom of the jar how do i get the cricket ball out without them racin to the top? ( and yes by the way i do have some tongs.)

ribnum

Arachnopeon
discover

well since you really know more bout your set up try to discover new techniques..i have posted special thanks to please reply

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank you too everyone who was concerned about my tarantulas getting out well.. i went in there to check on my babies as i constantly do. and i looked in the A versicolor's critter keeper (the A versicolor is 1.25") and umm he was gone...:eek: :? ...so i looked all around the inside of it before i opened it and he wasnt int here at all..so now im like ohhh noo then i looked around and looked up (like on the walls and stuff because they aboreal) no sign of him..then i looked on top of my 55 gallon tank that houses crickets there he was a bright blue. i was like ahh and kind of froze in place until i got a catch cup (lucky my catch cup as a top and a bottom) so i got caught him and got him into a catch cup locked it (sort of speak) until had another jar type thing on hand and put him in that for the time being... now I'm just worried about my Green bottle blue getting out because the A versicolor is 1.25" and the GBB is 1" clearly smaller and can probably get out he same way my A versicolor did..so I may have to rehouse him right way. for the time beiing he has settle down and came off the walls and is now resting on the substrate. I think for the night and safe keeping imma put his critter keeper inside the bigger 55 gallon so if he does get out of that he'll still be in the 55 gallon. and since his legs are bright yellow I'll find him easily. my A Versicolor gave me three heart attacks all at once..:eek:

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
oh yea, ironically my escapee A versicolor ended up on the cricket keeper tank cause early today i tried to feed him and he wouldnt eat he found his way to the food....:clap:...do yall think this was by mistake because he is aboreal so he just climbed upwards or this a smart tarantula?

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Can i see this enclosure with this top on please from the top and the side..thank you....

elyanalyous

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i know the bars on my cage have quite a range in flexibility. you may want to check yours. i know somewhere on AB it was posted with a T using its fangs to bend and chew thier way out through the bars.

I'm using the same KK as you, you should check the bars on the ends of the tank, they tend to be more flexible. also where the handle attaches to the lid, you will wank to block that hole off. my H.incei at 1" were able to slip up through there.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i know the bars on my cage have quite a range in flexibility. you may want to check yours. i know somewhere on AB it was posted with a T using its fangs to bend and chew thier way out through the bars.

I'm using the same KK as you, you should check the bars on the ends of the tank, they tend to be more flexible. also where the handle attaches to the lid, you will wank to block that hole off. my H.incei at 1" were able to slip up through there.
Because of this incident I have decided not to buy anything under 2"inches

BinarySpider

Arachnopeon
Yep

elyanalyous makes a very good point. I was seriously concerned about what I was going to use until I actually recieved my Avicularia versicolor tarantulas today. I got 8 of them from Botar by Eights. Mine were all between 1_inch and 1_1/2_inches long so the "MINI" All Living Things® Critter Totes are working fine for my size of my A.versi. 7 of the 8 have caught 1 cricket and 2 of the 7 are on their 2nd cricket. The gaps look to be about 1_mm or about 1/20_inch. The hole on top of my totes have a plastic X in them so it does not concern me. Here are some of my pics...

Here is also an escape point if they are small enough. The handle leaves gaps and must be that way to open the clear lid...

I position the handle to close those gaps just in case but mine seem to be large enough for escape not to be a problem...

Here is one of my Avicularis versicolor with a cricket...

While I am by far NO expert on tarantulas I am learning very fast. I hope my short and light weight knowledge thus far has helped. Best of luck on your new tarantulas. :D

BinarySpider

Last edited:

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd be cautious if I was you because my Vesicolor is 1.25 inches and it got through the smallest holes so just check up on it every now and then good luck with all your T's.

jamesc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you need a good way to close those gaps that the handles leave, squirt a dab of hot glue into the handle holes.

BinarySpider

Arachnopeon
Thanks

I'd be cautious if I was you because my Vesicolor is 1.25 inches and it got through the smallest holes so just check up on it every now and then good luck with all your T's.
Thanks, all 8 of them are still there this morning at 8_AM. I am still undecided :confused: but I am thinking about going to my small local pet shop and getting their 2 inch A.versi.

jamesc said:
If you need a good way to close those gaps that the handles leave, squirt a dab of hot glue into the handle holes.
Thanks, that is a good idea. I was thinking about stuffing it with a small piece of rolled up paper. I do not think that they need the gaps in those handle areas of the lid. The only advantage is that I can see is that they save moneys on those tiny pieces of missing plastic over the millions of lids that are produced.

BinarySpider

Pyst

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Because of this incident I have decided not to buy anything under 2"inches
Please don't let this incident put you off from buying small slings. You just have to be a little more cautious. Kritter Keepers don't have to be used. Personally I very much dislike them for my own reasons. Any type of container will work with proper ventilation. I'm sure there are others on here that will agree that there's nothing like raising slings and watching them grow.