Serious questions from an arachnophobe- about species, enclosures etc.

SwedishArachnophobe84

Arachnopeon
No, it is quite nonsensical. How do you determine how a fish feels? I mean really, it is almost comical.
I fail to see how it is nonsense to have laws providing animals with the best care possible or how it is somehow funny that a fish can be stressed? You might as well ask yourself; how do you know anything? My guess is that they studied the behavior of fish and saw that they are less stressed, when they can not be stared at from all sides.

In many countries there are no such laws or at least not as detailed etc. but regardless of what you personally believe, that is what the rules states and it is to make sure that pets can not be kept however you like. It is for the benefit and wellbeing of the animals we keep as pets. We have rules regulating the care of almost every pet and animal kept in captivity (but not invertebrates as far as I know) and even if you might not agree with all of it; it still needs to be followed or you are breaking the law design to protect animals in captivity.

/SwedishArachnophobe84

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
It’s nonsense to require that I keep my fish in a certain way based on silly things. It’s nonsensical. Show me the science behind your statement that fish are bothered by people staring at them. Ridiculous.

SwedishArachnophobe84

Arachnopeon
Finally, I could transfer the pictures from my camera to the computer so here we go… and yes, I am that old-fashioned… (I do not own a smartphone; I own something that probably belongs in an antique shop…) ha-ha.

My arachnophobia is SCREAMING…take away half of the substrate and whatever she might climb on (such as the fake plants)!

However, my rational brain is telling me that she should be feeling safe and secure, with the enclosure decorated this way (and of course the deep substrate is good for digging and to prevent nasty falls).

There are two cork bark rounds (one small and one slightly bigger), a half of a coconut and a slanted flat piece of cork bark; all providing different hiding spots. The fake plants provide some extra coverage and then there is a small “stick/branch” as well.

Having said all that, did I overdo it with the substrate…or the hides? I obviously do not want her to feel cramped or have her wander out as soon as I open the lid…so what is your opinion? Does this look ok or is there anything that I should add or remove? I appreciate all the help I can get.

Obviously, she will be provided a water bowl…I just have not been able to decide which one yet (hence the different once in the pictures). I have three options. All slightly different in size and dept. Any suggestions regarding this absolutely ridiculous question (he-he)?
IMG_7357 (2).JPG
IMG_7359 (2).JPG IMG_7375 (2).JPG IMG_7369 (2).JPG IMG_7383 (2).JPG IMG_7384 (2).JPG IMG_7346 (2).JPG IMG_7353 (2).JPG

/SwedishArachnophobe84

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
Looks nice! Multiple hides are not necessary. Any of the water dishes would work fine. If it were me I’d take out half the plants. It’s a bit cluttered for the species imo.

looking forward to seeing her in it.

SwedishArachnophobe84

Arachnopeon
It’s nonsense to require that I keep my fish in a certain way based on silly things. It’s nonsensical. Show me the science behind your statement that fish are bothered by people staring at them. Ridiculous.
I am not on this forum to argue about the Swedish laws regarding animals, so this will be the last thing I will say on the subject. Please respect that and let us go back to talking about tarantulas in this tread and not fish. They are put there to protect the animals. You need to cover at least one side of the tank and this is to give the fish a chance to feel safe and to hide. It is for them to be able to get away and to be in a corner or whatever and feel safe. How they came to this conclusion, I can only speculate, besides since I do not have a problem with this rule; I feel no need to try and dissect the reasons behind it. I usually cover more than one side of a tank anyway, regardless of the law.

/SwedishArachnophobe84

Looks nice! Multiple hides are not necessary. Any of the water dishes would work fine. If it were me I’d take out half the plants. It’s a bit cluttered for the species imo.

looking forward to seeing her in it.
Thank you! Maybe not necessary but I aimed to give her some options, so that she will be able to choose the most suitable one for her. I personally do not do just aim to do the bare minimum for my pets and I do not feel as though it should be any different with her; just because she happens to be a tarantula. Is there any other reason for not having multiple hides, other than it not being necessary that is? Thanks for the input regarding my inability to choose a water bowl (yes, I know I am overthinking it again). Ok…the plants do not take up much “floorspace” at all, given that they are cut from a “vine”, would you still take out some of it?

/SwedishArachnophobe84

Last edited by a moderator:

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
Well because it is a tarantula it doesn’t really matter as tarantulas don’t care (They actually lack the capacity). Multiple hides, pretty leaves, etc is for your enjoyment only. Having too much clutter and more than one hide mayl just make it a bit more difficult for you in terms of keeping track of feeders, spot cleaning, T wrangling etc.

Do what thou wilt.

SwedishArachnophobe84

Arachnopeon
SHE IS HOME! :)

I have basically never been so nervous in my life…but I managed to get her from the box she was shipped in, to her new enclosure without any problems. She was very slow-moving, thank god…and just walked slowly of the paper and then stopped. She made it very easy for me to get the paper etc. out and she was a very well-behaved lady. She is smaller than I expected…so I hope she will not be able to “squeeze out”. Maybe my arachnophobia exaggerated her size a bit in my head (although I am pretty sure the measurements stated by the seller is rather accurate and that she is about 2.2-2.4 inches or 5,5-6 cm in DLS). Anyway, she is very beautiful and I am so happy that she is here and that I have made it so far :)

My gorgeous little lady, Shelob:
IMG_7393 (2).JPG IMG_7393 (3).JPG

/SwedishArachnophobe84

ratmilk

Arachnopeon
Congrats! I got my new baby today too and was a little hesitant at first, but they are SO cute once you see them!! Is she settling well in her new home?

SwedishArachnophobe84

Arachnopeon
Told you they are cute at that size. :D
Well she is “Kind of-nearly-sort of-possibly a little-cute”, he-he ;)

Congrats! I got my new baby today too and was a little hesitant at first, but they are SO cute once you see them!! Is she settling well in her new home?
Thank you and right back at you! What species did you get? I can agree…almost…to me she is “kind-of-sort of-possibly a little-cute”, but that is good enough…I mean I am an arachnophobe, he-he:p

I will definitely keep you all posted regarding how she is doing (and on how I am doing with this “scary-beautiful” lady in my care); so far, so good :)

She is not doing much…so she is exactly as I expected, he-he. She has not yet used any of her hides. She has moved slightly throughout the day/night, between sitting in the front corner and in the back corner of her enclosure; all under the protection of a plant.

I could actually sleep a lot better than expected. I Checked on her a few times during the day/night and after doing this; I felt rather convinced she would not get out, so I slept ok (for being me that is…I have trouble sleeping normally so…).

I am very happy that I did this, despite my fears. She is beautiful and I am quite ok with having her here so far. However, the jury is still out, on how I will feel when I am going to have to feed her and change the water etc.

How long do I wait before offering her something to eat (she ate sometime before getting shipped)? I do not want to disturb her more than necessary during her “settling-in-to her new-home-period” …but I do check on her from time to time; just to make sure she is ok and still where she is supposed to be.

/SwedishArachnophobe84

SwedishArachnophobe84

Arachnopeon
Today, I gathered as much courage as I could and offered my little lady some food, for the first time. However, she did not show any interest in eating (I offered both a smaller dubia roach and a mealworm).

I was shaking and was very nervous that she would “bolt out” of her enclosure; but thankfully she only moved a little bit and very slowly, showing that she was not hungry. I am so relived that she (at least so far) is a very calm tarantula; this really helps me during this period of “getting-used-to-my-terrifying-pet” ;)

IMG_7411 (2).JPG

/SwedishArachnophobe84

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
Give her a few days before you offer food again She is still settling in, I would guess. She looks plump enough and at this point probably regards prey items more as a disturbance than as food.

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
Congratulations! Gorgeous and good for you.

I know we are over it, but having the walls covered won't do anything for the tarantula. T's can't really "see out" of their enclosures. Their eyesight is pretty terrible and they can really only make out changes in light and movement.

SwedishArachnophobe84

Arachnopeon
Give her a few days before you offer food again She is still settling in, I would guess. She looks plump enough and at this point probably regards prey items more as a disturbance than as food.
I tried again a moment ago, after receiving advice on a different forum to leave a feeder in for 24 hours before removing it if uneaten. My plan was to leave a dubia roach (small male with the head crushed) in with her for 24 hours, hoping she would eat when left alone. I did not have any expectations other than dumping the roach in and then walk away.

Imagine my surprise, when she immediately pounced on the roach and started eating. I am so happy :) My little lady is eating in peace and I have managed to feed a tarantula! So cool! Now I will leave her be for a while!

IMG_7413 (2).JPG IMG_7415 (2).JPG
/SwedishArachnophobe84

SwedishArachnophobe84

Arachnopeon
Congratulations! Gorgeous and good for you.

I know we are over it, but having the walls covered won't do anything for the tarantula. T's can't really "see out" of their enclosures. Their eyesight is pretty terrible and they can really only make out changes in light and movement.
Thank you :) !

Yes, I understand that they have poor eyesight, but I still like it better than seeing the wall behind the enclosure and she does not seem to mind.

/SwedishArachnophobe84

Garnet3942

Arachnosquire
Hello!

Please excuse the spelling and grammar etc. English is not my first language; hope you still get the point I’m trying to make and get what I´m asking etc.

Alright…I’m now writing that which I never in a million years thought I would write, but here we are. This is probably a sign that I’m getting completely insane…but oh…well…

In all my life I have been completely terrified of spiders (at least as long as I can remember), arachnophobia in its most severe form. I can tolerate very tiny spiders without panicking but if that spider would end up on me, I still panic. This despite the fact that I can leave them be if they´re in a corner off my room for example (that is if they have made a web). I started working on that acceptance when a small spider decided to make a web between two of my flowerpots (in one of my windows). This spider was actually molting etc. and lived in its web for quite a while…but either it moved/went outside or died. I feed that one on occasion…when a fly ended up inside etc. Very interesting to watch…from a distance...

Sweden does not have any dangerous spiders and not (in comparison to other countries) any really large spiders. Some of the largest spiders here in Sweden are the so called ”house spiders” (smaller/common: Tegenaria domestica and large: Eratigena atrica). One of those (not sure if it was the smaller/common one or the large one…disgusting and big is all I know) once entered my apartment (as an example of the level of my phobia). It ran past me when I was sitting on the floor = somehow, I suddenly were about half a meter to a meter away and standing up, no idea how I got up. I managed to kill it by smashing it with my trashcan that was nearby (yeah, I know the person who loves animals ends up “murdering” an animal…but there is just no other way for me, I just cannot handle doing something else, the feeling of panic is way too severe). After killing the spider, I sat for several HOURS shaking in my entire body due to the anxiety!

Memes that says something like ”Burn down the house” due to not finding a spider…I feel like that is definitely in proportion to the problem…almost.

Because of this crippling feeling of panic/anxiety…(we are talking on a crazy level, when writing about the spider above…I got shivers down my spine just for thinking about it) I would like to reduce or even remove this phobia. Being terrified of having the door or a window open during hot summer days, constantly looking around for ”monsters” with eight legs etc. is no fun. I hate basements and garages and the like. I love summer, the heat and so on…but to me (all my life) summer comes with a backside…which is the increased risk of ending up having a spider inside the apartment or even worse ON you etc. this sadly takes away a great deal of the charm of the summer months. I hate snow, ice and the cold winter…but…there is less risk of encountering spiders…so that is a plus.

Despite all of the above…I´m very fascinated with spiders and have no problem (almost, apart from some shivers down my spine once in a while and being a bit more jumpy afterwards…like if I get a leaf on me or something like such…leaves are scary, ok…hehe…) looking at pictures or documentaries/YouTube-clips of tarantulas and the like.

Sometimes the thought has hit me…this time it´s etched itself (more than usual) on my mind…that is; maybe I should get myself a spider as a pet…and thus forcing myself to take care of it and hopefully become less “panicky” after a while…but I don´t know if it is worth the risk of not being able to sleep ever again, always having to sit and stare at the terrarium making sure it´s not escaping etc. Then again, I already have trouble sleeping…but still…hehe. Would I even dare opening the terrarium…that´s also the question…what if it “bolts” and gets out…having a bit of a panic attack just thinking about that…

I like looking at (yes, I´m weird, I know) ”Dark Den” and others like that on YouTube. I find it very interesting even if I die every time a spider ”bolts”, escapes or showing off a ”threat pose” etc.

I literally felt like shit when I first brought home some dubias (I have lizards, a frog and a turtle), I´m not exactly a fan of that sort of bugs either…but I have calmed down quite a bit. The first time I had dubias at home…I slept with a light literally right in my face, to make it less likely to wake up with a roach in my face. I´m still not a fan and refuse to touch them and doing a thorough clean of their enclosures was less than fun; however, one escaped female found in a box full of papers did not really bother me (I still have no clue as to how she got out).

I don’t know if it would be similar/the same if I got a spider though. I don’t like roaches and that sort of bugs (well…bugs in general) but I don’t have an actual phobia of these creatures…spiders are on a vastly different level of scary to me.

I have after looking through a bunch of YouTube-clips etc. decided that the following species are more interesting to me than others:

• Trinidad Dwarf Tiger Tarantula (Cyriocosmus elegans) – but…they seem rather (very) fast = total panic. I like the heart on their but, a bit different looking.
  • Chilean Flame Tarantula (Eathlus sp. Red) – however it seems like the often climb out of the terrarium and can be pretty fast = total panic.
  • Desert Blonde/Arizona Blonde Tarantula (Aphonopelma chalcodes) – So freaking enormous…but I do think they look slightly less creepy than for example completely black spiders etc. Often recommended for beginners, although some seem to be a bit angry/like to kick hairs.
  • Mexican red knee (ex. Brachypelma hamorii, former Smithi) – Seems like a good choice for a beginner, nice colors but as with the “Arizona Blonde”…enormous…yikes!

Of the above mentioned species the ”Arizona Blonde” feels like the most interesting species to me, but in that case a “nice/kind” specimen…the thought of an aggressive maniac that also happens to be gigantic…not a very appealing thought.

I have an empty (at the moment) 30x30x30 cm (that is the mini wide, 12x12x12) Exo Terra terrarium but have been thinking about buying some more small Exo Terra terrariums (good for different “small stuff”) for example 20x20x20/30 cm (ex. Nano wide/nano tall, 8x8x8/8x8x12) etc. I have seen a lot of people using different types of plastic boxes etc. But I need it to be totally escape proof! How do you keep your spiders/tarantulas? What is the best enclosure type; a plastic box or a terrarium regarding the ”can under no circumstances be able to get out” point of view? Would any of these sizes work or do you believe it needs to be bigger/smaller? If using one of the Exo Terra terrariums; does anything have to be done about the screen top (like putting Plexiglas there instead) or can you use the regular Exo Terra top as is? Are there any rules regarding the size of the enclosure for spiders?

Are this the worst idea ever…that is the question…but I can’t really get the thought out of my head…we will see how this develops. I have seen some “Youtubers” that have done what I´m contemplation doing and they have been able to “cure” themselves…but I don’t know to what degree they had arachnophobia before getting their first tarantula…

Is there any particular species that you would like to recommend (one that is not “going to bolt/be skittish”)? What size would you recommend for a beginner who does not want a fast spider that’s likely to bolt? Juvenile/adult?

Getting a Sling feels like a smart idea because of the fact that I´m not as terrified of smaller (tiny) spiders but…at the same time it feels like the dumbest idea ever, due to the fact that they seem more prone to be ”skittish/more likely going to bolt” and faster than bigger spiders… also because they seem more sensitive to mistakes in their care, and because you can’t know their sex etc.

How big does it have to be to be able to sex it? Are there any difference regarding “temperament”/behavior due to the spider’s sex (female/male)?

I’m sensitive/allergic to wasps/bees…can this cause a problem with owning a spider? Could this mean that I could react more to the urticating hairs? I don´t even want to think about getting bitten, the thought of a spider that bites…not a pleasant thought…being bitten by an eight legged “monster” is not something I would like to think about…just hell no!

If you have any of the species mentioned above feel free to give me more information/describe your personal experience. As always it´s useful to hear from people who actually have the species in question (regarding any animal one is thinking about possible purchasing) …so please tell me what you think, about your experiences etc. Your contribution will be valued.

Thanks!

/SwedishArachnophobe84
Wow I just got a sling like 2 or 3 weeks ago it's a G. Pulchra I don't recomend getting for your first tarantula they grow up to be huge and they are completely black but they are so chill! In fact they like attention! I feel like you should do a lot of research before getting one especially if your afraid of spiders! I actually use to be afraid of spiders when I was like in first grade and now they are my most favorite animal on the planet I got rid of the fear by learning about the animal! Although it seems you have a extremely bad fear! I would suggest looking at jumping spider pictures because they are actually cute or watch things like lucas the spider even though it's not real it still might help! I would suggest getting a species that is small and very docile like maybe I think what would suit you is a Gbb (green bottle blue) they are really cool looking and very docile I'm not sure how big they get though maybe try a dwarf tarantula later. I would also suggest getting a jumping spider because some people keep them as pets and they are very small but my only worry is that they are probably harder to keep and need a big cage so they can jump around! You could get a sling because they are small and will get big over time but that will give you time to try to get rid of the fear. I suppose you could get a sling G. Pulchra because they don't grow very fast. But they eventually turn completely black and really big.

Garnet3942

Arachnosquire
SHE IS HOME! :)

I have basically never been so nervous in my life…but I managed to get her from the box she was shipped in, to her new enclosure without any problems. She was very slow-moving, thank god…and just walked slowly of the paper and then stopped. She made it very easy for me to get the paper etc. out and she was a very well-behaved lady. She is smaller than I expected…so I hope she will not be able to “squeeze out”. Maybe my arachnophobia exaggerated her size a bit in my head (although I am pretty sure the measurements stated by the seller is rather accurate and that she is about 2.2-2.4 inches or 5,5-6 cm in DLS). Anyway, she is very beautiful and I am so happy that she is here and that I have made it so far :)

My gorgeous little lady, Shelob:
View attachment 348211 View attachment 348212

/SwedishArachnophobe84
Oh you already picked the speices! Well I guess my comment would not really help then lol! Anyways good choice the tarantula is so gorgeous!

SwedishArachnophobe84

Arachnopeon
My little beautiful girl has had one more roach since I got her and yesterday, I offered her a mealworm but she showed no interest. She has a very big “booty” and it is starting to look slightly darker so I am suspecting that she might be in premolt already. She has had a very healthy appetite, so I am not worried that she will starve…more worried about her “but” exploding…it looks huge today. Lol.

She “freaked” slightly (when I put the mealworm in) and moved away faster than she has ever moved before…still slow though…and I did not even react! Yeah! Feeling like a winner! I am getting less and less terrified of her (and weirdly less disgusted by the dubia roaches too…despite having them for years before getting Shelob).

Less disgusted by the roaches…but yesterday evening was still no fun at all. I had dropped a roach (male) during feeding of my leopard gecko a few days to a week, prior to the “incident” yesterday. I was aware he was around, but did not expect him to “pop-up” where and how he did. The surprise appearance freaked me out, but I was able to quickly recover and get him back into the roach bin.

What happened was, I was on my way out to do some grocery shopping and was going to put on a sweater, but before I could put it on, I had to turn it back, because it was inside out. I saw something black inside, but figured it was just a tag or something. I did not expect it to be moving! The feeling of panic occurred and I threw the sweater on the floor, before realizing it was the missing male dubia roach. That sweater was hanging on a hook across the room from where I dropped him. I have no idea how he managed to get from point A to point B, without me or the dogs noticing; but there he was in my freaking sweater!

I even managed to “catch cup” a tiny jumping spider (a few days ago) that had made its way into my apartment! It got out a few times before I managed to really catch it…and I did not freak out! I did not smash it. I am so proud of myself…you know…for not killing it in a state of absolute panic.

I have a new “mantra” that I am trying to implement, to help with my arachnophobia. I am trying to say the following to myself “It is just a small Shelob” when I see a spider. I care for her and she scares me less and less; so, I hope that it will somehow make it into that “reptile brain” of mine and convince my instincts to change. I know (when I am not freaking the f out) that spiders are not dangerous, that they will not murder me and that I do not have to be afraid of them. However, tell that to my instinctual feeling of terror, when my brain checks out. I am hoping that my “mantra” will somehow get through and help change my instincts in the future.

IMG_7431 (2).JPG IMG_7432 (2).JPG
/SwedishArachnophobe84

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
She's more than plump enough. No need to feed for at least 2 weeks, I'd say. Probably longer, depending on the size of her Opistosoma.