Serious questions from an arachnophobe- about species, enclosures etc.

cold blood

Staff member
B. hamorii are great....but keep in mind, young ones can be skittish and after a molt, pretty food motivated. this species can also be heavy flickers, so if you see its back legs going, back off...lol.

You are over-thinking the housing, both the enclosure and the substrate.

At its size, you really want to stick with a samller enclosure, im guessing much smaller than you are expecting. A small kritter keeper is more than enough room and it wont escape.....most ts would never be able to get out, much less chew through the vents on a kritter keeper. I have a big mean P. cancerides I had to move from a big kritter keeper because she was snapping fangs on the venting (this is rare, and FAR from a common problem), if she couldn't get out, no Brachypelma on earth would stand a chance.

Substrate...there is no one best substrate, its more of a keepers personal choice. Any good sub is fine, you don't need to mix, and you don't need additives, and you definitely don't need to go buy vermiculite. The moss is more of a surface additive, like a functional decoration. I'm not familiar with the other two, but If they're like coco fiber, its fine. Cheap top soil, peat moss, eco earth, jungle mix or any coco fiber brand name or derivative are all fine, alone or mixed. Sub matters especially little for a species kept dry, like your hamorii. Just don't use soil marketed for growing plants (additives), don't use wood chips of any kind, don't use sawdust, etc., and you should be just fine.

3 on your list;

gbb, they can be skittish, and very flicky...they can also be very food motivated as well. Not a difficult keep, but these are things to keep in mind for a phobe, or formerphobe.

versicolor, they do have more specific husbandry, can be fast and even defensive...they web a lot, eat well and grow fairly fast. Beautiful and fun to own...not sure I would have wanted one when I was arachnophobic, though.

B. albiceps are one of those super duper uber mega spectacularly slow growers as slings...better, as juvies and adults become really good eaters. Just beautiful, too, one of my favorites. Docile and friendly though??...well no way, not close...lol...very skittish and can actually be quite defensive. Their temperament is more like a B. vagans...they can be a little feisty. Still not hard to deal with, just food for thought.

Good luck with your new t, you sound like you are eager to, and really serious about getting over your phobia, IME, that makes you exactly the type of phobic person that's fully capable of over-coming the fear...interest trumps fear every time, at least for me.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
@SwedishArachnophobe84 you should stay away from GBB for now. They can be pretty skittish and prone to bolting. Even after they establish their web cave. Many B. hamorii are also like that. Mine is skittish and even blowing air on her can cause setae flicking.

SwedishArachnophobe84

Arachnopeon
B. hamorii are great....but keep in mind, young ones can be skittish and after a molt, pretty food motivated. this species can also be heavy flickers, so if you see its back legs going, back off...lol.

You are over-thinking the housing, both the enclosure and the substrate.

At its size, you really want to stick with a samller enclosure, im guessing much smaller than you are expecting. A small kritter keeper is more than enough room and it wont escape.....most ts would never be able to get out, much less chew through the vents on a kritter keeper. I have a big mean P. cancerides I had to move from a big kritter keeper because she was snapping fangs on the venting (this is rare, and FAR from a common problem), if she couldn't get out, no Brachypelma on earth would stand a chance.

Substrate...there is no one best substrate, its more of a keepers personal choice. Any good sub is fine, you don't need to mix, and you don't need additives, and you definitely don't need to go buy vermiculite. The moss is more of a surface additive, like a functional decoration. I'm not familiar with the other two, but If they're like coco fiber, its fine. Cheap top soil, peat moss, eco earth, jungle mix or any coco fiber brand name or derivative are all fine, alone or mixed. Sub matters especially little for a species kept dry, like your hamorii. Just don't use soil marketed for growing plants (additives), don't use wood chips of any kind, don't use sawdust, etc., and you should be just fine.

3 on your list;

gbb, they can be skittish, and very flicky...they can also be very food motivated as well. Not a difficult keep, but these are things to keep in mind for a phobe, or formerphobe.

versicolor, they do have more specific husbandry, can be fast and even defensive...they web a lot, eat well and grow fairly fast. Beautiful and fun to own...not sure I would have wanted one when I was arachnophobic, though.

B. albiceps are one of those super duper uber mega spectacularly slow growers as slings...better, as juvies and adults become really good eaters. Just beautiful, too, one of my favorites. Docile and friendly though??...well no way, not close...lol...very skittish and can actually be quite defensive. Their temperament is more like a B. vagans...they can be a little feisty. Still not hard to deal with, just food for thought.

Good luck with your new t, you sound like you are eager to, and really serious about getting over your phobia, IME, that makes you exactly the type of phobic person that's fully capable of over-coming the fear...interest trumps fear every time, at least for me.
Yes, I am aware that they can be skittish when young (hoping my little lady will not be though, the seller told me she is rather calm). I understand that they are hungrier after molting and I will definitely keep the “hair-flicking” in mind, when taking care of her. Getting “haired” the first thing I do…will probably not be the greatest experience…so I will back off if I see any signs of such behavior. Thank you for the warning 😊

Ok, it is definitely possible that I am overthinking things…I am an arachnophobe who just invited a gigantic (she is small for being a tarantula of her species… but still huge in my eyes) spider into my home. This obviously makes me a “little” terrified, he he…so really making sure she will stay where I put her, is extremely important to me. Your answer and experience with critter keepers make me feel a little bit less panicked, thank you very much for that.

Ok, thank you for your help. As a beginner who wants the best for my new pet…I might be slightly overprotective…yes…even of a “creepy spider” 😊 Exo Terra plantation soil is coco fiber and Komodo Invertebed is a mixture specifically made for…well…invertebrates. I originally got it for my future sun beetles but since it has a tarantula on the package, it got me thinking… After some “googling” I found that Invertebed seems to be a mixture of fen soil (?) and vermiculite. It supposedly lets the animal dig and keeps the burrows well. So, getting extra vermiculite might indeed be quite unnecessary. Everything I find seem to be more for “moisture-loving” creatures (and tend to be very dusty when kept dry) …hence my confusion regarding the best substrate option for my little lady.

Yeah, I have realized as much and therefore a GBB will definitely not be one of my first tarantulas. I am by no means ready for that kind of behavior yet…maybe in the future.

I will possibly get a C. versicolor in the future, but as previously stated regarding the GBB, definitely not in the near future. I do like the look of them…but I am by no means ready for a fast, defensive and jumpy spider.

Ok, well my impression so far (until I just read your post) have been that they are calm, “nice” and beginner friendly…but maybe that can vary a lot between individuals or something? I have looked into B. vagans before and because of what you describe, I decided against them…my impression (until just now) have been that the B. albiceps was a better fit for me…but maybe not… I will definitely keep your description of the species in mind, when I look more closely at this particular species.

I have had some trouble finding good information about this species (B. albiceps that is) …did it by any chance have a different name at some point; or is it just kind of rare for keepers to have these in their collection? Do you have any links to valid information about this species?

Thank you, I truly hope you are right. I would love to stop being “ridiculously afraid” of spiders. It has put a damper on especially the summers all my life and I hate that my body reacts with “paralyzing fear” to something; my brain knows all too well is nothing to be afraid of. I try to tell myself this…but It doesn´t work all that well…hoping this gorgeous girl will help me overcome “my instincts” and let my rational thinking take over. I find spiders (and especially tarantulas) to be amazing creatures and the ingenious variety of ways spiders catch their pray and so forth is very interesting to watch…from a far 😊 I am certainly hoping my fascination will conquer my fear, only time will tell.

/SwedishArachnophobe84

@SwedishArachnophobe84 you should stay away from GBB for now. They can be pretty skittish and prone to bolting. Even after they establish their web cave. Many B. hamorii are also like that. Mine is skittish and even blowing air on her can cause setae flicking.
Yes, I will definitely wait with getting a GBB (if I get one at all that is), I am in no way, shape or form ready for that type of spider yet.

I am aware that (even) B. hamorii can be skittish (hoping my little lady will not be though, the seller told me she is rather calm). I will definitely keep the “hair-flicking” in mind, when taking care of her. Getting “haired” the first thing I do…will probably not be the greatest experience…so I will back off if I see any signs of such behavior. Thank you for the warning😊

/SwedishArachnophobe84

SOME EXCITING NEWS!!!

My little lady has molted now and she will be shipped to me in the beginning of next week.

She looks quite different (when comparing the two pictures I got from the seller). She has suddenly more “hair” on her legs (it looks like she put on some new “fluffy-socks”, he he) and also more “orange” coloration on her carapace.

A very beautiful lady, indeed 😊 and I cannot wait to get her home…even if I at the same time as I feel super excited and happy…also…feel crazy nervous and “terrified”. Some mixed feelings over here, he he…but I am sure (kind of…) that it will all be all right in the end.

/SwedishArachnophobe84

dman13760

Arachnosquire
best of luck.... be sure to update us as your journey continues! I think you'll be a great spider-mom

SwedishArachnophobe84

Arachnopeon
best of luck.... be sure to update us as your journey continues! I think you'll be a great spider-mom
Thank you! I will definitely keep you updated and will aspire to be a good "tarantula-mom" despite my phobia.

That's WAY too soon...seller should wait 2 weeks for it to harden and get a first post molt meal. I would insist on this.
Oh…ok…the seller is reputable, seem very knowledgeable and gives the impression of really caring about the tarantula’s wellbeing. I am surprised to hear you say that shipping her next week will be too soon. I trust this seller to want what is best for the little girl…and your statement made me nervous that something will go wrong…I will definitely bring this up with the seller.

Obviously, I rather wait a little longer than risk her getting injured or even die during shipping. I am not 100% sure exactly when she molted though (I got a picture today but that does not have to mean that she molted today).

Freshly molted, she will be a tad faster than usual. Just so you know :).
Ok, thank you for the warning! I will keep that in mind.

/SwedishArachnophobe84

SwedishArachnophobe84

Arachnopeon
Hello again!

My little lady apparently molted on Wednesday last week (so not on the same day as I received the picture) and I did speak to the seller about the concerns raised here and they decided to wait a little extra, just in case. This means that I will not be getting her this week, but next week instead.

I have decided (hoping this is not the biggest mistake I will ever make, he he) to use the critter keeper I was going to use in the first place. It seemed like the most logical route to take after everyone (here and in other forums) kept telling me it will be fine, so I hope you all are right.

I figured that she would benefit from not having “open sides” so I covered three sides with an old aquarium background. It does not look fantastic to say the least, but her wellbeing is obviously the most important and I believe that she will feel nice and secure in there now.

As far as substrate goes, I have mixed some of my options together and I like it so far…and I hope she will like it too. The only thing I do not really like is that it does not seem to be as perfect for burrowing, as I would like it to be (due to it being kept dry); but I am hoping she will make do anyway.

I have multiple options for hides and decorations and I have tried to find the perfect combination for her. I wanted to make the space as comfortable and suitable for her as possible. I want her to be able to feel happy (for a spider) and safe in there. I hope I have made it suitable for her, but I will post some pictures later (once my camera decides to cooperate with me); so that you can provide me with some feedback on her enclosure.

/SwedishArachnophobe84

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
Spiders don't have feelings. What species and what size is it? Critter keepers are fine though definitely post pics of the setup.

Also, no need to cover the sides of the enclosure. Certainly so if it make the set up look bad. The T won't mind.

SwedishArachnophobe84

Arachnopeon
On a different note:

Until recently, I have basically only thought about getting sexed females and slightly bigger specimens…but after listening to a podcast; where Tom Moran said something about how slings resemble “normal spiders” (more than the larger tarantulas do). I started thinking and I have come to a conclusion that I believe is inevitable.

It feels like the only natural “second step” and that is that I will have to get at least one or two slings in the future. Forcing myself to interact and care for a sling or two will probably help a lot in going forward. I believe I would be better “prepared” to deal with the common spiders that might enter my house, that I might see I my garden etc. if I will get some slings.

Normally, I have less of a problem with smaller spiders…but when it comes to tarantulas specifically, it is slightly different. I still have a massive problem with bigger spiders (and I would never want something extremely enormous such as a T. blondi) but I do feel that slings freak me out in a different way…because they are similar in appearance, speed etc. to a “normal spider”. To me the most terrifying spiders are the true spiders (? I think they are called that).

Specifically, I absolutely hate the look of the common house spider (one of the biggest spiders found in Sweden) and spiders resembling black widows (and this is despite the fact that there are no dangerous spiders here).

They are just so gross…I am getting more and more used to tarantulas now, but the house spider…we are by no means anywhere near feeling better about those yet. I believe a sling or two will be able to help with this.

I have come to the conclusion that some of my favorite species is less suitable to buy as slings and I will try to find these as somewhat bigger specimens. Specifically, I am thinking of the particularly slow growing species (such as B. albiceps, A. chalcodes and so on).

When I come to the point that I feel ready to take on a sling or two:

Which species are good species to start with as slings and what species would you recommend? Feel free to suggest species that I do not currently have on my list as well.

I am obviously still looking for docile, nice and beginner friendly species but since getting slings will be further into the future; I do believe that it would be ok with slightly faster species (still looking for fairly slow-moving species though).

I do realize that I will not be able to get a sling that have been sexed (right?), but despite this I feel like this is the right move to make for me. Partly because it will help with my arachnophobia as stated above, but also because the more I read and learn, the more I realize that it would be a very valuable lesson to raise a tarantula from sling to adulthood.

So far, I am considering getting a GBB as a sling (not at the moment of course) would this be a wise or a foolish choice? I have also thought about getting a C. elegans as a sling (yes, I realize that it would be insanely small…but maybe a slightly larger sling?), good or bad idea? Any other species that might be worth looking into, specifically to get as slings?

/SwedishArachnophobe84

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thank you! I will definitely keep you updated and will aspire to be a good "tarantula-mom" despite my phobia.

Oh…ok…the seller is reputable, seem very knowledgeable and gives the impression of really caring about the tarantula’s wellbeing. I am surprised to hear you say that shipping her next week will be too soon. I trust this seller to want what is best for the little girl…and your statement made me nervous that something will go wrong…I will definitely bring this up with the seller.

Obviously, I rather wait a little longer than risk her getting injured or even die during shipping. I am not 100% sure exactly when she molted though (I got a picture today but that does not have to mean that she molted today).

Ok, thank you for the warning! I will keep that in mind.

/SwedishArachnophobe84
I agree with Cold blood. It needs to harden up before it us shipped. If it eat post molt its a sign that its harden up. What breeder are you buying from?

I often suggest T albopilosus to people with spider phobia. Placid, easygoing tarantulas that looks like teddybaers. I dont remember what speicies you are gonna order but T albopilosus are great!

Last edited:

SwedishArachnophobe84

Arachnopeon
Spiders don't have feelings. What species and what size is it? Critter keepers are fine though definitely post pics of the setup.

Also, no need to cover the sides of the enclosure. Certainly so if it make the set up look bad. The T won't mind.
I know very well that they are not smart creatures that can feel a certain way…I just mean that I want her to be comfortable and “feel” safe.

She is a B. hamorii about 2.2-2.4 inches (5,5-6 cm).

I completely understand that I did not have to cover the sides, but I wanted to give her a “enclosed feeling”. This is what I would do with any other animal as well, not because I necessarily have to; but because I want to make them feel less “out in the open”. No, a spider is by no means the same as a fish, frog, lizard or whatever…but still I felt like that was the thing to do. In Sweden there is actually a law saying that you have to cover at least one side of an aquarium, to make the fish feel safe…so I guess I felt it was the right thing to do even for a spider. However, I usually try to cover more than one side for extra comfort. Also, I do not like to see the wall or whatever is behind the enclosure…so I guess it is a win, win situation; even if it does not look all that great in this particular case, I still think it looks better than the wall.

/SwedishArachnophobe84

I agree with Cold blood. It needs to harden up before it us shipped. If it eat post molt its a sign that its harden up. What breeder are you buying from?
As I just recently stated (in the post #28) she will have more time to harden up, and the seller will not ship her until next week (instead of this week which was the plan from the beginning). I am buying from a seller that I found on a Swedish forum (terrariedjur.se) and that has a lot of very nice reviews from previous byers.

/SwedishArachnophobe84

Last edited by a moderator:

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
Wait...there is an actual law that you have to have one side of a fish tank covered to make fish feel safe? Really?

What a bunch of nonsense!

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
On a different note:

Until recently, I have basically only thought about getting sexed females and slightly bigger specimens…but after listening to a podcast; where Tom Moran said something about how slings resemble “normal spiders” (more than the larger tarantulas do). I started thinking and I have come to a conclusion that I believe is inevitable.

It feels like the only natural “second step” and that is that I will have to get at least one or two slings in the future. Forcing myself to interact and care for a sling or two will probably help a lot in going forward. I believe I would be better “prepared” to deal with the common spiders that might enter my house, that I might see I my garden etc. if I will get some slings.

Normally, I have less of a problem with smaller spiders…but when it comes to tarantulas specifically, it is slightly different. I still have a massive problem with bigger spiders (and I would never want something extremely enormous such as a T. blondi) but I do feel that slings freak me out in a different way…because they are similar in appearance, speed etc. to a “normal spider”. To me the most terrifying spiders are the true spiders (? I think they are called that).

Specifically, I absolutely hate the look of the common house spider (one of the biggest spiders found in Sweden) and spiders resembling black widows (and this is despite the fact that there are no dangerous spiders here).

They are just so gross…I am getting more and more used to tarantulas now, but the house spider…we are by no means anywhere near feeling better about those yet. I believe a sling or two will be able to help with this.

I have come to the conclusion that some of my favorite species is less suitable to buy as slings and I will try to find these as somewhat bigger specimens. Specifically, I am thinking of the particularly slow growing species (such as B. albiceps, A. chalcodes and so on).

When I come to the point that I feel ready to take on a sling or two:

Which species are good species to start with as slings and what species would you recommend? Feel free to suggest species that I do not currently have on my list as well.

I am obviously still looking for docile, nice and beginner friendly species but since getting slings will be further into the future; I do believe that it would be ok with slightly faster species (still looking for fairly slow-moving species though).

I do realize that I will not be able to get a sling that have been sexed (right?), but despite this I feel like this is the right move to make for me. Partly because it will help with my arachnophobia as stated above, but also because the more I read and learn, the more I realize that it would be a very valuable lesson to raise a tarantula from sling to adulthood.

So far, I am considering getting a GBB as a sling (not at the moment of course) would this be a wise or a foolish choice? I have also thought about getting a C. elegans as a sling (yes, I realize that it would be insanely small…but maybe a slightly larger sling?), good or bad idea? Any other species that might be worth looking into, specifically to get as slings?

/SwedishArachnophobe84

No spiders are gross IMO
As I just recently stated (in the post #28) she will have more time to harden up, and the seller will not ship her until next week (instead of this week which was the plan from the beginning). I am buying from a seller that I found on a Swedish forum (terrariedjur.se) and that has a lot of very nice reviews from previous byers.

/SwedishArachnophobe84
Reptilgrottan? Dom är bra! Jag känner Kent. Han hade firman i Stockholm förr. Nu bor han i Skåne

SwedishArachnophobe84

Arachnopeon
I often suggest T albopilosus to people with spider phobia. Placid, easygoing tarantulas that looks like teddybaers. I dont remember what speicies you are gonna order but T albopilosus are great!
I have ordered a young female B. hamorii. Regarding curly hairs, I do not like them, they are way to hairy for my taste (to me that makes them look more disgusting) and I will not be buying one of those.

/SwedishArachnophobe84

Wait...there is an actual law that you have to have one side of a fish tank covered to make fish feel safe? Really?

What a bunch of nonsense!
Not nonsense, it is there to give the fish the best possible life in captivity and you have to follow certain rules (laws and regulations) in order to make them feel safe etc. To me that is absolutely not nonsense, they are living creatures that should be treated well and with respect.

/SwedishArachnophobe84

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Not nonsense, it is there to give the fish the best possible life in captivity and you have to follow certain rules (laws and regulations) in order to make them feel safe etc. To me that is absolutely not nonsense, they are living creatures that should be treated well and with respect.

/SwedishArachnophobe84
You should not use fishbowls at al!

I have ordered a young female B. hamorii. Regarding curly hairs, I do not like them, they are way to hairy for my taste (to me that makes them look more disgusting) and I will not be buying one of those.

/SwedishArachnophobe84
Aha ok. I have read that arachnophobic people thinks Curly hairs cute! Generally speaking

SwedishArachnophobe84

Arachnopeon
No spiders are gross IMO

Reptilgrottan? Dom är bra! Jag känner Kent. Han hade firman i Stockholm förr. Nu bor han i Skåne
Yeah…spiders are repulsive when you are an arachnophobe…but hey, I am working on it :)

No, not Reptilgrottan. I have ordered feeder insects etc. from him before though.

/SwedishArachnophobe84

SwedishArachnophobe84

Arachnopeon
You should not use fishbowls at al!
Aha ok. I have read that arachnophobic people thinks Curly hairs cute! Generally speaking
No, those are terrible and how exactly would you cover one side of a round bowl?

Maybe so, but I think they look worse that a lot of other species because of their “fluffiness” so perhaps I am the "exception to the rule of arachnophobes", he-he

/SwedishArachnophobe84

Yes i understand. Youll get over it soon
I really hope so…and I would prefer sooner rather than later…or I will not be sleeping particularly well for a while; starting next week, he-he

/SwedishArachnophobe84

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz

/SwedishArachnophobe84
No, it is quite nonsensical. How do you determine how a fish feels? I mean really, it is almost comical.