serious question

zxcv1234

Arachnopeon
My roommate for my apartment decided to decide to put a couple of bags of kitchen trash in my room and close the door (don't ask) , thus producing a very smelly stagnant-air environment in which my spiders where in the room for 2-3 weeks (winter break).

Would ithis environment result in the demise of a 5" p. regalis and/or 6" theraposa blondi?

Im pretty sure ive read that stagnant air is a cause of death among juvenille blondis. It smelled pretty bad in my room when i opened the door..

I had these guys for 2 years :(

How much are these Ts worth on the market now...I want compensation

thanks

Last edited:

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My roommate for my apartment decided to decide to put a couple of bags of kitchen trash in my room and close the door (don't ask) , thus producing a very smelly stagnant-air environment in which my spiders where in the room for 2-3 weeks (winter break).

Would ithis environment result in the demise of a 5" p. regalis and/or 6" theraposa blondi?

Im pretty sure ive read that stagnant air is a cause of death among juvenille blondis. It smelled pretty bad in my room when i opened the door..

I had these guys for 2 years :(

thanks

I don't think the smell or the garbage will cause their demise. It would have had to be ots of organic wastes bakng in a 90 degree room to start giving off enough methane to kill anything. The 2-3 weeks with no one giving them water may have been more of a factor. Both come from moisture rich habitats.

Last edited:

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Rotting garbage especially if it is wet would release toxic gasses. I'm not sure if ammonia is one of them. This will cause a problem even to you if there is a high concentration in an enclosed area. Either you take the trash out or use an air filter/ionizer to clean the air. One alternative we do is leave a tray full of charcoal or activated carbon. This will absorb the odor. Oh, baking soda works too!

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer

thanks
If they are male: $50-75 regalis, $65-75 blondi
If they are female: $100-150 regalis, $100-$200 blondi

Although I don't think a stinky room would kill a spider either.

Staley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would have to agree with the no water theory. They need lots of moisture. Sorry for your loss.

FOOTBALL FAN

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yeh 3 weeks is quite a long time to leave them even if you left large water dishes then the water would of gone stagnent

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Another vote for 2-3 weeks without water. I came back every weekend (though it was 10 days at one point) to water my Ts over winter break, and I don't own any that are anywhere near as moisture-sensitive as yours. Even at just seven days, all the bowls would be dry.

My G. rosea and C. cyaneopubescens didn't have any problems, and my G. aureostriata was okay. The L. parahybana was pretty thirsty, but pulled through--even molted while I was away.

If I had a blondi (or something else that fragile, like an avic), I would have had to take it with me, no question.

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I will definately vote for the lack of water. T.blondi would die for sure without someone giving water for that period of time. Sorry for your loss. :(

anderstd

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thats is a really long time to go without watering. I water my blondi every other day this time of the year between the T and evaporation it is always virtually empty.

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Count me in for the 2-3 week no water cause as well...just terrible to hear about your story, my condolences and I'm sorry...:(

Cerbera

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I too am sorry for your loss, and also hope that that is a lesson learned. Thank you for posting it here, so others may learn as well.