Serious question about Usambara Red from Russia

AlexRus

Arachnopeon
Hi there from Russia.
First, I have to ask you all to exuse me if I write something against yours rules. I read it, but because of different languages I might to understand something wrong.

I always liked spiders. And a few days ago I was in the pet shop. There was two spiders and I decided to buy one. It was Usumbara Red. The salesman warned me that It wasn't best variant for first spider-experience, but I bought it.
At home I started to learn internet, I wanted to know all about my new pet. And I saw that I have the one of most aggressive and fast spiders and added to everything else It was toxic.

Before I put it on my hand several times. Nothing wrong happened except when spider was on me, my hands felt burning a little.

Now I'm afraid of it. I was reading on this forum Bits Reports, especial, about my spider Usambara. But I can't believe, Is it really so bad? I just want to ask.

And I'm pretty impressed of stories in Bits Reports. bcz no one of bitten had not visited a doctors, had not called ambulance and prefered to agonize and to be sick at home. Does it means that if spider like this bite anybody, doctors couldn't do anything to alleviate pains and not to let come convulsions??? At hospital doctors can up your health quickly. Why bitten people didn't do this? Didn't call ambulance?

Someone from you all was bitten by Usambara and was It so bad as it was told in that subject? I think might it really be dangerous to take spider in hands.
And now I want to buy other spider - which I'll be able to take by safe way in my hands and I wanna its to be calm, not fast and not agressive. But really handsome :)

Can you advice me something? Please.
I'll be glad to read about all you experience with Usambara .Thanks.
I hope you all will help me to find everything out in my questions :)
Alex.
p.s. sorry for my bad English. :eek:

Last edited:

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have one but I have not been bitten. (yet) They are not a tarantula that a beginner should handle. I would believe what the bite report says to be accurate. They would not lie about that. Put it in a small cage with dirt or peat moss with no chemicals in it. Give it a hide like a half buried cup or a piece of cork bark and lay on the dirt. Keep the substrate dry and give it a shallow water dish and a couple of crickets a week. enjoy it from the other side of the cage. Pretty aren't they?

AlexRus

Arachnopeon
Thanks for answer. Yeah. I've understood already that spider of mine is not good for newbies.
But I've bought it and I can't throw it out. :) I like it and it's really interesting to wath her growing and her life from other side of the cage. But I wished It was possible sometimes to take own pet in hands. Bcz of it I wanted to buy second spider, not agressive and not fast. :)

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
There are plenty of docile T's out there. Just do some research before you buy. Welcome to the hobby.

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
there are lots of beautiful Ts that you could call "handleable" although it wil still depend on the personality of the individual T. what kind of look do you prefer? try looking up B.albopilosum or G.aureostriata

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No matter what spider you get there is always a chance of being bit. I keep 10 Usambara (P. murinus) and i also keep a lot of docile species. In the time that i have had all my tarantulas, i have seen them all get fairly nasty, even ones such as B. smithi. As far as the P. murinus go, definately not a good beginner species because of its obvious speed, defensive nature, and strong venom. However, if you take the right precautions and you are responsible with them then you can greatly decrease your chances of being bitten. As far as keeping this species i allow not only a hide but also deep enough substrate so that they can burrow. If you can get your P. murinus to burrow or give it a good hide it makes dealing with them much easier because often when disturbed they will run into there burrow or hide. HOWEVER just because they are in there hide does not mean you shouldnt still be cautious, sometimes at the slightest disturbance they will run out of there hide in all there defensive glory. The bottom line is, if you are going to keep it you have to accept the fact that you may get bitten, that is just part of keeping them. It might hurt but it wont kill you and you will live another day. Enjoy your new pet :)

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree with what everyone said concerning the P murinus' attitude, venom, etc. I commend you for hanging in and sticking with this species as your first. Like many said, the bite will hurt but you're NOT going to die, just experience agonizing pain. If you're still looking for a nice look T that is handable, assuming it's docile most of the time, G aureostriata, B smithi, B albopilosum, pretty much any Brachypelma and Grammostola will fill that category. Good luck with your murinus and with your future Ts!:clap:

Last edited:

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I actually had a P.murinus for my first T as well and had no warnings about it being a dangerous psycho.. I learned that when it ran out of its cage and onto my hand.. at least yours is calm enough to hold!

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I actually had a P.murinus for my first T as well and had no warnings about it being a dangerous psycho.. I learned that when it ran out of its cage and onto my hand.. at least yours is calm enough to hold!
how did it get back in? It walked in itself or did you have to manually move the spider back into the enclosure via cup method?

AlexRus

Arachnopeon
Does all it says above mean that I shouldn't take It in my hand?????? Is it really dangerous? How many % that I'll be bitten if I just put It on my hand and won't do quick movements???

But I've not still found out about those stories. How do you think, if T. bite me and I'll call ambulance Is it gonna help? I think its best way to self-safe. And what I must do first momets after the bit?

I feel two side of my spider-buying. First is that I'm so sorry that I bought It because it's not really that I wanted. I wanted to be possible to take it.
But there is second side of this case that I have a really dangerous 'killer' :) at my home, and I feel respect and proud about the such small thing of mine - my spider -- and It is a one of most toxic and agressive spider. :) I can scare my guests :)))
Heh, really funny. But I don't know what side of it is better :))))))))))))

Second T that I want. Handsome. Really big. With heavy foot and with a lot of hair. :)

Last edited:

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Pterinochilus murinus is definately a non-handling tarantula. Be careful.

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I put it back in manually. and if you want something large and attractive you should get a G.aureostriata. if you want hairy.. get a B.albopilosum. either one should be a good pet for you. and I wouldnt hold you Tarantula. I would leave it alone.. even if it is calm its not worth the risk.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
These are not handable tarantulas, they bite readily, have strong painful venom, usually warning their pet keepers with defensive displays (rearing back and bare the fangs).

The two I had once before weren't friendly. Be careful.

And enjoy an exciting wonderful invert.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I don't know what you think an ambulance could possibly do about a bite, besides give out some painkillers.

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ambulance

Getting some pain meds would be about all the paramedics and ER could do for you. Unless the 'spider' bite is a black widow or recluse, most doctors wouldn't have any idea about any real treatment, besides reducing swelling. So going to the ER would pretty much be a waste of time.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hm, what you said about your new t doesn't sound like pterinochilus murinus because 1. most will not tolerate handling and 2. they have no urticating hairs (you said your hand burned after handling). so maybe what you got isn't a pterror at all. can you post a pic so we can be sure?

as for the ambulance - all they can do is give you pain killers in case of a bite. so i wouldn't recommend holding your t if it's really a usambra baboon.

still, welcome to the hobby :D. i could recommend any grammostola or brachypelma as your next 'handleable' t. but make sure you don't get a psycho ;), there are some around.

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Congratulations, i dont know of a spider species, that will bite no matter what, i imitate a branch or something, moving my arm or where ever the T is very little, iv never been bitten and dont expect to Aslong as i can continue my practice properly.*doesnt mean im not ready, and it will come as a shock*
lol, i hold T blondi/ Pokies/ OBT and my EUROPEAN macrothele *trap door* though for obvious reasons thats very rarely. ANd my TD is soo damn feisty, but again, if he thinks he is on a branch then he aint likely to bite the branch.
Still, i would strongly recommend against holding Ts as its unneccessary and can do damage to you, and your T. i only do because im a lazy maintenance guy, heh. i would rather grab the pot/ tank and it the T on me whilst i clean it out.
IF i get bit, its my fault without doubt, i can accept that, but i consider myself very careful with them, though you can never be sure with a T.
Iv had my female Cyrio blue calm as hell on my hand, until i placed her in her new home, and then BOY! she was angry. she tried to get me, but they are blind and taht gives me the advantage of moving my hand from where she thinks it is, haha.
Enjoy your T, dont do anything you dont want to, and if you are nerveous of holding, dont specially that species, until you are confident and have relevant experience with the species, most of mine were raised from a sling before i held them. that gave me some knowledge and expectations on a personal level with my spiders.
I had an OBT i never got into a defensive/ threat pose.. she just wouldnt do it. but read the articles and youl see thats not common with them.
Enjoy your Pterror,they are very cool.
RESPECT ITS AUTHORITA! LOL:)

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The answer to Your question is very simple...
Many people, including You (the coomon name You prefer to use for this very coomon spider, which scientific name is well-known and the whole genus is clearly described on my site or tarantulas.ru as well are described and the aproproate warning are given, show it very clear), prefer to ask other people a silly questions to annoing em and waste their time instead of search for a quality information to read and learn by hart a simple rules if You want to keep a spider safe and Yourself as well...
And if You don't knew that, compatriot, there're no reasons at all to describe some people stupidity...

Andy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I agree with what everyone said concerning the P murinus' attitude, venom, etc. I commend you for hanging in and sticking with this species as your first. Like many said, the bite will hurt but you're going to die, just experience agonizing pain. If you're still looking for a nice look T that is handable, assuming it's docile most of the time, G aureostriata, B smithi, B albopilosum, pretty much any Brachypelma and Grammostola will fill that category. Good luck with your murinus and with your future Ts!:clap:
Too right, whats a little pain if your days are numbered.

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I dont know why, when it comes to P murinus, the topic will always end up saying they're venemous monster's ... Theres A LOT more to talk about ... But, this subject will always be in the middle, even after 200 thread talking about it ...

Lets not be surprise why people buy this spider because it is said to be a lion transformed in spider by a sorcerer, but has no real interess in them except their defensive behavior, this is just everything people talk about

Sorry for behind nut, but ... I mean ... theres so much more to know about 'em! If you have more question about 'em, except their behavior and venom, you can always send me a PM if you wish ...