Serious Issue?

Needles666

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi,

I recieved a 2.5" P. Ornata yesterday, it was shipped to me.

I opened the deli container, after a couple seconds it moved, so I knew it was alive. Had a KK already setup with coconut substrate, water dish, cork bark, usual stuff. I put the deli container in the KK, and after a few minutes he strolled out etc.

I put him in my closet (where I keep my T's) and watched him with a flashlight. He would attempt to climb the KK but then would fall, kept climbing, kept falling. He seemed to be able to climb the bark ok, but couldn't climb the plexiglass or whatever side. I guess he figured something was wrong cause he finally stopped and started cleaning his legs/feet.

Now I've had Avics sent to me and they've never had any problems climbing right away, so I'm worried there is something really wrong with him.

Any ideas? Is this "normal" after shipping?

Thanks for your help and sorry for the long post.

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would guess that there is no problem, maybe just doesn't have enough grip.

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi little footsies must have gotten worn at some point. After he molts he’ll be just fine.

Steph

Needles666

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok, it's just nerve-racking to see them fall, and now he's just huddled down behind the cork bark :(

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah, and being he was in a container w/papertowel moist that has something to do with it,i had that with alot of arboreals sent to me,and they were always fine,and yes it could be coming up to a molt aswell. good luck with him:)

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Pardon if this is an obvious question but: What did you clean the kk with? Is it possible that there's some soap or something still on the inside of the kk that's irritating its footsies and making it slippery?

Needles666

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That's a fair question :)

I just used really hot water and a paper towel, no soap.

If the wet/damp papertowel that it was shipped in had something to do with it, then that would make sense.

As far as the molt, it looks more like it recently molted, not 100% sure would have to check with the seller, but the legs are thin, and the rear is not skinny, but definitely thinner than about to molt in my opinion, but I'm no expert.

Psych0

Arachnopeon
I have a 2" fasciata and I had the same problem. I put her into an ICU. She just molted and the problem solved.

Needles666

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well I didn't build it an ICU.

I did give it a roach as I thought maybe it was weak? (not sure if T's get weak)

It ate it just fine so I guess time will tell.

I wonder if all Pokies are this sensitive? This is my first pokie and it's like a painting even without the adult colors, so I'm sure it will only get better. {D

david goldsboro

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have had this with a few of my pokies its nothing to worrie about they have a problem climbing on nice clean plexiglass it will be fine when it settled in

Needles666

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Interesting, hmmm.

I've seen terrestrials climb plexi, so I didn't think it would be a big deal for an arboreal, very interesting though.

I hope that is all it is.

kyrga

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've seen this with my avic. It gets the worst before a molt. I've also heard that coco fiber substrate can cause it. That's what I use.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
it could be a variety of things. I love that p.ornata btw! anyways, there might be a film on the side that creates the slippage or possibly just worn feetsies. if it can't climb the side of the glass, it's no big deal. make sure there is a piece of cork bark or branch limb in the enclosure so she can climb that. it's bound to provide more rigidity for climbing anyways.

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Agreed!

Also I'd mist on the plexiglass. As tarantulas use the minute film of water on any surface for gripping, this should make life easier. :)

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I use coco fibre and have never had any problems?

Avics when they are due a moult get clumsy and can't climb and fall off things .. and are a bit wobbly.
Saying that, I have 2 juvies in large pickle jars. A Stromatopelma calceatum and a Heteroscodra maculata. The S. calceatum climbs fine, but the H.maculata looks like its on a treadmill when it tries to climb it LOL It's legs go like the clappers but it cant climb up. It lives in a burrow under a piece of cork bark 99.9% of the time, so i dont see it as an issue. It'll be rehoused after 2 or 3 moults and then should be fine :)

I wouldn't worry. Just give it time to settle in and it should be fine. Gorgeous T btw! One of my favs :D