• The Report forums are closed to new reports.

Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reports.

Information on how to use our new Reports section can be found in our Tutorials forum.

Sericopelma rubronitens

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here's one you don't see every day. I've got three females and a finally mature male of S. rubronitens. Last year I got two rubronitens sacks but both proved infertile.

This was done in 75 F with low lighting at night. Pictures with flash taken constantly. Breeding couldn't have been easier, male walked in, multiple insertions, then walked back into his own cage. Literally, one of my easiest pairings ever.

Now the pictures:

All the great photos are thanks to Jenna D. (JCola).

Close up of mature male, not blond as originally predicted.

The approach:

Male goes for the gold:

(I took this next one...different angle)

You can see the female doing her standard after mating stance in the backround. The male literally walked right back into his own cage.

One female down.....two to go. I'm going to try the same thing I did last year to get them to make eggsacs, hopefully this time it'll work out!

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The first female laid an eggsac on 3/10/08, or about 6.5 months after mating. It doesn't look great but I'm still hopeful!

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Good Luck with the eggs lucanidae. I Had 5 out of 6 females last year produce fertile sacs. The interesting thing is this year , right now, Two of my female are holding unfertile sacs. I didnt breed any of my females this year.

Later, Tom

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Both of my females last year produced infertile sacs on the same day. I think it's obvious egg laying is triggered by something in the environment. Living in college conditions in this area my room is constantly very cold or boiling hot; the swings might induce egg laying? Were your females all inseminated by one male, multiple males, or were they WC's who dropped in captivity?

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
All my female's were WC, but molted in my care. I had one male mature in my care, and he was used on all the females. As far as I know the only CB ones offered were mine.

Another note, these spiders should be labeled as, Sericopelma sp. "rubronitens"

Breeding Sericopelma sp. '"rubronitens"

Eggsac construction

Female w/sac

post embryo

First instar

Later, Tom