Sericopelma rubronitens - size and strength

Boomer4es

Arachnopeon
I have read some threads about this spider, but I am still not satisfied that I understand its behavior.

For those of you who have a "giant" red rump. Do they often try to explore escape options? Do they climb more than burrow if their enclosure is too small?

I have a 10 gallon set up with a substrate of vermiculite, peat, and a touch of cypress mulch. I have some fake plants, a water dish, and a birch hide.

The spider will be calling this home three days from now. How am I doing?

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I would forget the cypress mulch and use coco fiber or non organic top soil.

What size is the tarantula when you buy it?

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
I have read some threads about this spider, but I am still not satisfied that I understand its behavior.

For those of you who have a "giant" red rump. Do they often try to explore escape options? Do they climb more than burrow if their enclosure is too small?

I have a 10 gallon set up with a substrate of vermiculite, peat, and a touch of cypress mulch. I have some fake plants, a water dish, and a birch hide.

The spider will be calling this home three days from now. How am I doing?
How big is the spider? A 10 gallon is more than enough space for most species. I wouldn't put anything under 4-5" in something that big though. Most spiders explore escape options. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't happen

cold blood

Staff member
Just a normal t with pretty normal behavior. Mine doesn't hide too much, but it is very skittish when I open the top.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
my santa cat isnt very explorative, but during its hunts it can go pretty wild.

arthurliuyz

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter +
Are Sericopelma spp. fossorial or terrestrial? Never kept them before & couldn't find any information on them. (been wanting to get them for ages)

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
Are Sericopelma spp. fossorial or terrestrial? Never kept them before & couldn't find any information on them. (been wanting to get them for ages)
like all tarantulas, they live in burrows. How you house them dictates their behavior.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
Will they utilize the large amount of substrate I give it of just stay on the surface?
in nature they've been observed making horizontal burrows, and mine have done the same in captivity. If given too small of an enclosure they will "bulldoze" it and become very skittish (due to not having a hide)

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
If it's just a 3" spider, then a 10 gal tank is more space than needed, still quite sufficient when the spider is full grown.
I've never kept these, but they're supposedly not so gigantic among giants. I understand that size-wise they're larger than other Sericopelma spp., but definitely smaller than Ceratotherium simum, so no need for enormous amounts of space.
Good luck.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Terrestrial, my subadult male Sericopelma sp. "Santa Catalina" burrowed under his hide and can often be found lurking in or around the entrance, he'll duck inside when disturbed though.

255985427_5142903422389722_4484861162897406717_n.jpg