Sericopelma rubronitens - size and strength

Boomer4es

Arachnopeon
I have read some threads about this spider, but I am still not satisfied that I understand its behavior.

For those of you who have a "giant" red rump. Do they often try to explore escape options? Do they climb more than burrow if their enclosure is too small?

I have a 10 gallon set up with a substrate of vermiculite, peat, and a touch of cypress mulch. I have some fake plants, a water dish, and a birch hide.

The spider will be calling this home three days from now. How am I doing?

Arachnophobphile

Arachnobaron
I would forget the cypress mulch and use coco fiber or non organic top soil.

What size is the tarantula when you buy it?

Tarantuland

Arachnoangel
I have read some threads about this spider, but I am still not satisfied that I understand its behavior.

For those of you who have a "giant" red rump. Do they often try to explore escape options? Do they climb more than burrow if their enclosure is too small?

I have a 10 gallon set up with a substrate of vermiculite, peat, and a touch of cypress mulch. I have some fake plants, a water dish, and a birch hide.

The spider will be calling this home three days from now. How am I doing?
How big is the spider? A 10 gallon is more than enough space for most species. I wouldn't put anything under 4-5" in something that big though. Most spiders explore escape options. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't happen

cold blood

Staff member
Just a normal t with pretty normal behavior. Mine doesn't hide too much, but it is very skittish when I open the top.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
my santa cat isnt very explorative, but during its hunts it can go pretty wild.