Suggestion Separate the pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenNet

Arachnosquire
Wouldn't it be very nice if the "flow" of pictures is separated by if it's a "sex this" and other pictures? People putting a lot of time and work into showing their invertibrates, just to see their picture "drowning" in a flood of fussy "what sex is this"?
Of course, it's a great resource to sex your pet here, that's not my point, but I think it comes to a cost that could be better solved.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What would be nice is if new people would actually explore the site before they damn post within the the first few minutes in the WRONG forum. I know those are high expectations for a crowd of people that expect instant answers and don't give a crap about rules and such.

KenNet

Arachnosquire
What would be nice is if new people would actually explore the site before they damn post within the the first few minutes in the WRONG forum. I know those are high expectations for a crowd of people that expect instant answers and don't give a crap about rules and such.
That would be really nice!
But as you, obviously know, not many of those nice people listen to you, hence my suggestion to make the site more appealing. Even for those who come from FB and haven't seen it all.

It was just an idea.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
There are separate sections for every different type of photo....for both types of sexing for tarantulas, also ID’s, then separate genera galleries, enclosure set ups, then separates for other invertebrates, and random photos. Not sure what could possibly be separated any more and you can filter the “flow” with searches through each sub media with quick input into advanced search function, in search media, albums, and media comments. All this is easily found on tutorials and through exploring of the plethora of ways to pull something specific information from AB in seconds.
C2B16DCE-F794-4919-9A87-C9553F59FE96.jpeg B3E6FC13-91FF-4791-8135-F5DB26698BCA.jpeg 20C50FEA-BCB5-4D02-8FDF-19F106FFAB97.jpeg

KenNet

Arachnosquire
I mean the strip of pictures at the top of the screen when you viewing the site on a phone. Not on a laptop. Sorry that I was not more clear. Accessibility is about not have to click through a menu. But from the amount of medals and pokal your reply got, I guess AB think it was a bad idea.
Maybe I missed some settings?

Sterls

Arachnobaron
It's pretty straight forward as it is... but here's a tutorial

Screenshot_20210222-143158~2.png Screenshot_20210222-143205~2.png Screenshot_20210222-143225~2.png Screenshot_20210222-143233.png

Also I realize you are still talking about the top strip. I don't think 3 clicks of a menu is inaccessible to sort out the type of pictures you'd like to see

Last edited:

KenNet

Arachnosquire
Oh, well... It was just an idea to make the site more appealing to people who come here for the first time and now mainly are met with a of flood fussy pictures of "what sex is this"?

My wrong and I apologise for my stupid idé.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Oh, well... It was just an idea to make the site more appealing to people who come here for the first time and now mainly are met with a of flood fussy pictures of "what sex is this"?

My wrong and I apologise for my stupid idé.
Thank you for your suggestion. There is no need to apologize and your idea is not stupid. Please understand that just because a suggestion is made (and this one has been made before) does not mean that it will ever be implemented. The "Latest Media" widget is exactly what it says, a "Latest Media" widget that shows the latest pictures that have been added to the Media gallery. The Media gallery contains many categories and all photos receive their time in the spotlight when they are posted. At this time, there are no plans to change that.

If you want to see pictures that are not sexing pics in the widget, the best solution is to add more pictures to the Media gallery that are not sexing pics. ;)

KenNet

Arachnosquire
Thank you for the answer.

Watch the site from a mobile. Not a laptop, not a widget.

Of course it's important that people can post a picture to ask what sex it is. My point is that that it should be something you search for, not the first thing you see when you enter the site.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
The same 30 most recent pictures are shown in the Latest Media widget (on the homepage) regardless of whether you are browsing from a Desktop, Laptop, Tablet or Phone. The only thing that changes is how many are viewable on the screen at one time.

Right now, what I see when I go to the home page is this:

1614282378756.png

Not one sexing pic in there (although there are a few if I scroll through the 30 available). This is working as intended and will change as soon as another picture is added to the Media gallery. The Latest Media widget is not there to showcase any specific pictures, but to showcase all invertebrate pictures. If you are interested in specific types of pictures, the best way to view them is to visit the specific gallery category that contains those types of pictures, not the latest media widget.

KenNet

Arachnosquire
The same 30 most recent pictures are shown in the Latest Media widget (on the homepage) regardless of whether you are browsing from a Desktop, Laptop, Tablet or Phone. The only thing that changes is how many are viewable on the screen at one time.

Right now, what I see when I go to the home page is this:

View attachment 377093

Not one sexing pic in there (although there are a few if I scroll through the 30 available). This is working as intended and will change as soon as another picture is added to the Media gallery. The Latest Media widget is not there to showcase any specific pictures, but to showcase all invertebrate pictures. If you are interested in specific types of pictures, the best way to view them is to visit the specific gallery category that contains those types of pictures, not the latest media widget.
Thanks for the answer.
It doesn't show up like that in my browser.
But if everyone else is happy with the front page, something must be wrong from my side. I just don't know what it is. I will try different settings in my browser (if there is any) and if something change, I might post a picture how it looks for me.

I had a quick glance; 8 out of 10 pictures in the feont page " picture-strip" was: sex this spider.
Not sure if I can post the screenshot, but it wouldn't change anything anyway.
I'm not posting pictures because of this. But that's just how I feel about it.
And I'm from europe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks for the answer.
It doesn't show up like that in my browser.
But if everyone else is happy with the front page, something must be wrong from my side. I just don't know what it is. I will try different settings in my browser (if there is any) and if something change, I might post a picture how it looks for me.
Is your issue purely that you do not want to see sexing ID requests? Because this is a valuable type of media that gets posted. and as @MrDeranged said just clog it up with your regular arachnid photos. Post them im sure we would love to see, you can also create a User album/thread to post your personal pictures into, a lot of members do this, and im sure people would enjoy seeing. Dont get turned away just cause you think your photos wont get seen.

KenNet

Arachnosquire
Is your issue purely that you do not want to see sexing ID requests?
No. Please read what I wrote.

"Because this is a valuable type of media that gets posted."
Yes it is. Again, please read what I wrote.

"Post them im sure we would love to see, you can also create a User album/thread to post your personal pictures into, a lot of members do this, and im sure people would enjoy seeing. Dont get turned away just cause you think your photos wont get seen."
You're missing my point. Sorry that I can't be more clear than that.

Last edited by a moderator:

KenNet

Arachnosquire
This is what I face when I enter the site. (See picture)
Nothing wrong with people posting pictures of how to sex their spider. It's one of the great side of this site to offer this help. My point is that these kind of pictures should be separate from the ones of people trying their best to show how a trantula really looks.
Am I so wrong?

generic.jpg

Attachments

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
While you are entitled to your opinion, we are not going to change what is displayed in the latest media widget. The latest media widget is there to show the latest media that has been posted to our media gallery, it does not differentiate. As sexing pics are a part of the media gallery, they will continue to be displayed along with all pics that are posted to our media gallery.

You posting a screenshot that you are currently seeing two sexing pics has no bearing upon the fact that I'm sure there are many times when you come to the site and there are NOT two sexing pics being shown.

If you only want to see pictures of actual tarantulas you can go directly to the Tarantula Genus Galleries.

If you do not want to see the occasional sexing pics in the Latest Media widget, I suggest you "hide" the latest media widget by going to your user preferences and checking the "Yes" box next to "Hide Latest Media"

1619820664979.png

Status
Not open for further replies.