Selenotypus sling - Buried 6 months

chestnut

Arachnopeon
Hi all, this is mainly targeted at the Aussies on this forum who have experience with Selenotypus.

My Selenotypus Sp. 2 sling has remained in her burrow for almost 6 months now. Last time the period was 3 months and emerged after moulting (only time has moulted in my care). Thankfully she has burrowed all the way to the bottom of the container so I have a little window where I can *sometimes* see her. Last I saw was a few weeks ago and abdomen was plump. I try not to check too often as I don't want to disturb the tarantula by picking up the enclosure all the time.

I know I don't need to be worried about food because these guys are fantastic fasters. Question is how long is too long at this "age" and is there a point where I should remove the substrate at the burrow entrance to have a peek inside? Current size is around 2.5-3cm iirc.

chestnut.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I know you aimed the question at Aussie owners with Selenotypus spp. but I have an A. bicoloratum sling around half that size that has sealed itself away and refused to eat for 5+ months before moulting on more than one occasion

sasker

Arachnoprince
I had a H. chilensis sling go on a hunger strike for 6 months at less than a cm. No problem.

Perhaps you can use a flashlight to shine inside the burrow from the underside of your enclosure. Perhaps you can see it. I would not try to dig it up yet. Just make sure the water bowl is full. Your tarantula is likely to appear one day, slightly bigger than the last time you saw it.

chestnut

Arachnopeon
I know you aimed the question at Aussie owners with Selenotypus spp. but I have an A. bicoloratum sling around half that size that has sealed itself away and refused to eat for 5+ months before moulting on more than one occasion
At least it's not abnormal for their age to be out for so long.... that does give me some piece of mind so thank you :)
Perhaps you can use a flashlight to shine inside the burrow from the underside of your enclosure. Perhaps you can see it. I would not try to dig it up yet. Just make sure the water bowl is full. Your tarantula is likely to appear one day, slightly bigger than the last time you saw it.
Yeah I've tried shining a light but no luck >_> Was just thinking of removing the substrate at the entrance and peeking inside as opposed to digging it up. Seems I'll wait a little longer based on the responses.

For now my fears have been put aside for another month or two ~ I will update this thread when the tarantula emerges just for future reference to others who might run into the same thing.

LordAnon

Arachnosquire
I've heard that in the wild it is not unknown for them to find most of their food in their actual burrow (burrowing insects, larvae, etc). In captivity this can mean that they might not feel that they need to leave the burrow, even when the food isn't there.

Sounds like she's still plump, so it's likely a premolt. I would be more concerned if you couldn't see her.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Selenotypus tend to be like this especially as slings, they are one of those genre where you wanna make a super pretty naturalist display setup for them since that's what you'll be seeing the most

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Selenotypus tend to be like this especially as slings, they are one of those genre where you wanna make a super pretty naturalist display setup for them since that's what you'll be seeing the most
Ok...wondered when you were going to show up to help out.

chestnut

Arachnopeon
Hi all,

I did promise to update once the sling emerged, however that hasn't happened. It's now been 13 months in the burrow for anyone that does see this thread.

I can see it's still alive and it generally moves between two spots in the base of the burrow. But considering it has been summer here for almost two months I'm surprised it hasn't emerged/there is no moult yet.

I'm hoping this length of time isn't abnormal either Dx

chestnut.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Hi all,

I did promise to update once the sling emerged, however that hasn't happened. It's now been 13 months in the burrow for anyone that does see this thread.

I can see it's still alive and it generally moves between two spots in the base of the burrow. But considering it has been summer here for almost two months I'm surprised it hasn't emerged/there is no moult yet.

I'm hoping this length of time isn't abnormal either Dx

chestnut.
Yea they are very boring as slings 😅 mine was like this 2 years, barely emerged at all, only to molt into a tiny male eventually who got eaten by a female

chestnut

Arachnopeon
Yea they are very boring as slings 😅 mine was like this 2 years, barely emerged at all, only to molt into a tiny male eventually who got eaten by a female
No way ! I had no idea it could be that long =O I know they can go long periods without food but didn't imagine 2 years, especially as a sling...

That's useful to know RezonantVoid, thank you again as always :happy: