Selenops True Spiders

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Anyone care for these? Or anyone have a great info to read up these true spiders?

I ordered some from Spider Pharm and they are really neat. They are desert dwelling spiders that resemble Huntsman but aren't.

I have three different sized specimens. The largest of the trio I believe is an adult. That one has displayed some interesting behavior, like spinning it pedipalps at blinding blurring speed (think~ a boxer at the speedbag on fast forward) and also folds it's abdomen beneath it's cephalothorax while "grooming" between chelicerae/open fangs and spinnerets with it's pedipalps.

One of the most seriously robotic spiders I ever had the privilage of observing this close-up.

(Waiting for the oscillating red light to cross across it's eyes and a digital voice speak "Cylons attack!".)

Haha! Okay, going out abit too leftfield on this topic but any info on these fascinating creatures is appreciated.

Last edited:

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
*bump*

Oh, the predaceous behavior of these spiders is interesting. They frequently like to take the high ground when they detect prey approaching and pounce like a trap from above or simply just pounce.

My largest Selenops measures around 2.25" and just destroyed a 1.25" preggie cricket like it was nothing.

Spider Pharm sells house fly pupae too and they are beginning to hatch like mad in groups of 3-7 at a time.

I am feeding them to my smaller Selenops, Hognas, and Phidippus. And I just had an hesperus eggsac hatch and put some of these house flies in with those spiderlings. Even my G aureostriata and Singapore Blue slings has taken a couple.

Re-iterate, any sites or information on these awesome true spiders is much appreciated.