selenecosmiinae, lifespan?

ornata

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hello

anyone who know the maximum lifespan to some species/genus in this family?

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh ok :eek: …thank you for being patient with me.

I have looked up some info and it's 20-35 years for females and 5 to 8 years for males (From a generic care sheet so probably not very accurate).

I do not keep any Australian T’s but the reading was interesting. Sorry I couldn’t be of more help.

Steph

ornata

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh ok :eek: …thank you for being patient with me.

I have looked up some info and it's 20-35 years for females and 5 to 8 years for males (From a generic care sheet so probably not very accurate).

I do not keep any Australian T’s but the reading was interesting. Sorry I couldn’t be of more help.

Steph
its ok.... it is very hard to find any info about the lifespan to species within this subfamily, but I have also heard around 20 years(selenocosmia).....but I am not sure!?

cheers

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I heard 13 years for females according to one website. Though like anything on the Internet, there's always conflicting reports.

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi!

I believe just few, if anyone, can tell the lifespan of most common selenocosmiinae in hobby for sure (but some surely do - for example, most Psalmopoeus's lifespan is at 9-11 years in everage, but these arboreal and live less than others), and the dragonblades71's data to me is more correct. Just some exclusions are fairly possible - some deep burrowers from Ozz land... I believe they can live 20 or even more. I think that Raven (if any data published) or maybe Steve Nunn will be able to tell You the rightest suggestion.
Just my 5 rubles as far as I'm researching this aspect in theraphosids for a long time...

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,
We have had several of the N.Qld (Australia) Phlogius (although still this genus is currently a jun.syn. to the Selenocosmia) live from 9-15 years. These are a strict rainforest group and if the myths are surrounded in truths of any sort, the more arid Selenocosmiinae will live a lot longer. As a clear example, I have had both Selenotholus & Selenotypus spp. in captivity for well over 13 years, collected at the time as adults. I have raised young of the Selenotholus sp. GLENELVA from the embryo to sexual maturity for both males and females, males maturing in 6-7 years, females over 8. Combine the two as a minimal number and that's over 21 years of lifespan we KNOW of. This is just one example, there are slower growers in Australia than the Glenelva exmple too.

What I am still unsure of are the southern Phlogius group (the giant Phlogius, P.crassipes, sp. SARINA, EUNICE etc....), which are found in typical srubland mostly, of these most mature in about 4-5 years, except one species whos males mature in under 1 year, with the females maturing in about 4-5 again. Combined with the oldest adults I have in captivity and we'd be talking around 18 years or so minimal age......I would think the southern Phlogius will live a lot longer than 18 years though!!!

Raven has noted arid zone selenocosmiine specimens over 28 years in age (S.stirlingi, central Australia).

In direct contrast, the Poecilotheria live relatively short lifespans, and I cannot comment on the Indo dwarf groups, such as the Phlogiellus & "Yamia", but I can say they mature in an amazingly short period of time. However, it really is still too early to come up with solid figures, nobody has enough examples to work good averages yet.

This is just one of those issues that will take many years before we can come up with accurate conclusions :) Hope this helps...

Cheers,
Steve

ornata

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi,
We have had several of the N.Qld (Australia) Phlogius (although still this genus is currently a jun.syn. to the Selenocosmia) live from 9-15 years. These are a strict rainforest group and if the myths are surrounded in truths of any sort, the more arid Selenocosmiinae will live a lot longer. As a clear example, I have had both Selenotholus & Selenotypus spp. in captivity for well over 13 years, collected at the time as adults. I have raised young of the Selenotholus sp. GLENELVA from the embryo to sexual maturity for both males and females, males maturing in 6-7 years, females over 8. Combine the two as a minimal number and that's over 21 years of lifespan we KNOW of. This is just one example, there are slower growers in Australia than the Glenelva exmple too.

What I am still unsure of are the southern Phlogius group (the giant Phlogius, P.crassipes, sp. SARINA, EUNICE etc....), which are found in typical srubland mostly, of these most mature in about 4-5 years, except one species whos males mature in under 1 year, with the females maturing in about 4-5 again. Combined with the oldest adults I have in captivity and we'd be talking around 18 years or so minimal age......I would think the southern Phlogius will live a lot longer than 18 years though!!!

Raven has noted arid zone selenocosmiine specimens over 28 years in age (S.stirlingi, central Australia).

In direct contrast, the Poecilotheria live relatively short lifespans, and I cannot comment on the Indo dwarf groups, such as the Phlogiellus & "Yamia", but I can say they mature in an amazingly short period of time. However, it really is still too early to come up with solid figures, nobody has enough examples to work good averages yet.

This is just one of those issues that will take many years before we can come up with accurate conclusions :) Hope this helps...

Cheers,
Steve
thanks, just ass I thought:)

cheers