Seems to be alive. Should I move it to something else?

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Half inch B Boehmei had a bad molt yesterday. I was thinking about putting it in another enclosure with a paper towel for substrate since it can't meet be very well on the dirt. Not sure if it is going to make it. Thought I would look for input on here

Attachments

Guy Moss

Arachnopeon
That looks really bad, personally I would just leave it be, changing substrate will likely only stress it more.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Thanks for the input. I will leave it as is for now. I can't believe it is still alive. It can't really move. Almost seems to have no strength. I put a drop of water under it's mouth and it seems to be drinking.

Jess S

Arachnobaron
I'd definitely be giving it water. To me, it looks like there's exuvia still stuck to the abdomen. Is there any still attached to the underneath of the abdomen? Are the book lungs free?

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
The book lungs are free. It is still kicking. Im pretty sure it's eating actually. I put a prekilled meal worm under it's mouth and it appears to be munching

Jess S

Arachnobaron
Really sorry but I definitely wouldn't be feeding it yet. Even though it's so young, I'd personally give it 10 days to harden up seeing as it's had such a bad moult (though I'm sure others would be comfortable feeding at 7 days. I tend to err on the side of caution). If those fangs get damaged, it's going to be an even bigger struggle.I'd just be hydrating it in the meantime.

Edit: sorry I thought it had just moulted but I just reread your post and can see it was about 3 days ago now.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
It molted yesterday. I usually wait to feed too but with smaller slings I have fed after a day or 2. Maybe I have been doing it wrong.

Jess S

Arachnobaron
I would definitely wait at least a week to feed. After all, slings are capable of months without eating, it's more important to keep it hydrated, protecting the fangs from damage while it hardens up.

Jess S

Arachnobaron
Still kickin. Poured some water around the mouth and seems to be drinking it.
That's great news. They are surprisingly resilient.

I know that normal advice is not to touch a moulted sling at all but I would have a go at very gently moving it, so that its head is over and making contact with a shallow water dish. A small enough one can be made by cutting a tablet blister pack. Something the size of a paracetamol . Just needs to be well washed & rinsed and not have any sharp/rough edges.

You could gently lift its top half with a paintbrush as you place it underneath it's head. And it can drink to it's heart's content!

I'm going to be following this thread for updates as I'm really hoping the poor little guy pulls through.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
T
That's great news. They are surprisingly resilient.

I know that normal advice is not to touch a moulted sling at all but I would have a go at very gently moving it, so that its head is over and making contact with a shallow water dish. A small enough one can be made by cutting a tablet blister pack. Something the size of a paracetamol . Just needs to be well washed & rinsed and not have any sharp/rough edges.

You could gently lift its top half with a paintbrush as you place it underneath it's head. And it can drink to it's heart's content!

I'm going to be following this thread for updates as I'm really hoping the poor little guy pulls through.
Thanks I have a really shallow dish in there I might try to nudge it over there. It can move a little but. I've raised over 50 slings and this is the first time this has ever happened to me.

I just got this sling last week too. It was in obvious premolt when I unpacked it. It didn't even lay a molt mat down and molted righside up.

cold blood

Staff member
now that normal advice is not to touch a moulted sling at all but I would have a go at very gently moving it, so that its head is over and making contact with a shallow water dish. A small enough one can be made by cutting a
Its already drank and ate....it doesnt need to do these things constantly....i wouldnt go moving it or even worry about it drinking yet.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Its already drank and ate....it doesnt need to do these things constantly....i wouldnt go moving it or even worry about it drinking yet.
Alright, I think I will leave it alone and check on it in the morning. It can move a little. Poor thing has two good legs both on one side. The other 2 legs are like noodles

Jess S

Arachnobaron
I've raised over 50 slings and this is the first time this has ever happened to me.
We tend to wrack our brains as to why or whether we did something wrong, but sometimes it's just one of those things.

I've recently had a 1cm sling have a bad moult, which I had to get it out of. Bit of a nightmare. It's drinking but not eating, I'm hoping it'll either start eating or have another moult soon.

That's fine, I'll defer to your experience :)

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
What a tough little sling. Might actually be able to make it to the next molt