Seemingly random stress pose?

Seemannnni

Arachnoknight
Hello all,

This post is in regards to my A. Seemanni, which I rehoused around a month ago now. It has been eating regularly, and even dug a little hole - however remaining in a pre-allocated hide and not digging much aside from that. It's been pretty comfortable for a while it seems, but the past few days has been scrunched up to no end. I have done literally nothing to alter his environment. Any possible reasons?

Attachments

vancwa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The pics do not show the T. Need to see. Also, ditch the screen lid. Tarsals could get caught resulting in a lost leg or more. Use plastic w/ drilled vent holes.

Seemannnni

Arachnoknight
The pics do not show the T. Need to see. Also, ditch the screen lid. Tarsals could get caught resulting in a lost leg or more. Use plastic w/ drilled vent holes.
As of now it's out and about wandering, left the pose. Don't worry - the screen is just expanded metal and not mesh. They can't get stuck. That, or I'm being incredibly ignorant - but the possibility was weighed.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
They can still potentially get stuck, but it's less likely than with mesh in my opinion. I've bought enclosures that came with lids like this, but I wasn't willing to risk a fatal fall and put acrylic with holes drilled into it underneath the metal. Better safe than sorry in my opinion.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Call it what you want, that's mesh dude.

Could have took a fall and got "stressed out"

Could be in pre-molt...when was the last time it moulted?

Could just be in an "awkward" position you interpreted as a stress pose.

Just keep an eye on it. Probably fine.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Expanded metal and perforated sheet metal aren't an issue, woven mesh is bad as they can get their tarsal claws stuck in the areas where the wires overlap.

Seemannnni

Arachnoknight

It molted about two months ago, on mothers day. I doubt its anywhere near premolt considering how slow-growing this species is.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Its just doing its thing being a tarantula, I dont see or read anything to be concerned about!

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
I'm going to 2nd @Smotzer's opinion. I find my well established Tarantulas in "awkward" looking positions sometimes.

Don't sweat it!

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
As of now it's out and about wandering, left the pose. Don't worry - the screen is just expanded metal and not mesh. They can't get stuck. That, or I'm being incredibly ignorant - but the possibility was weighed.
You are most certainly not being ignorant. The lid you are using is the exact same type I used for an adult Poecilotheria regalis, except the glass tank and lid was turned on end for more height. If an arboreal species can run up and down it without getting stuck, then I don't know what else there is to prove expanded metal lids are safe.

Seemannnni

Arachnoknight
You are most certainly not being ignorant. The lid you are using is the exact same type I used for an adult Poecilotheria regalis, except the glass tank and lid was turned on end for more height. If an arboreal species can run up and down it without getting stuck, then I don't know what else there is to prove expanded metal lids are safe.
Thank you! I've come across it climbing across on a variety of occasions without problem. I understand why the general consensus suggests removing it for something else, but I think that's a generality compared to what the expanded metal actually is. There is little risk.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Thank you! I've come across it climbing across on a variety of occasions without problem. I understand why the general consensus suggests removing it for something else, but I think that's a generality compared to what the expanded metal actually is. There is little risk.
The majority of people just lump it all in the same category of "mesh = :(" when only a specific type of mesh (woven) is bad because that's what's been drilled into their heads, expanded metal/perforated sheet metal have been used in European glass enclosure designs for years.

cold blood

Staff member
I have the same lid on my O. schioedtei....when i paired her last year, they did the deed upside down, both on the top....ive never seen a problem with getting stuck in the least.

RadicalSquire7

Arachnosquire

There’s no need to be rude if he thinks his tarantula is going to be ok with the wide mesh then it is. YOU don’t know his tarantula