Seeking experience in/pics of a few less known(not entirely shady) Grammys..

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Namely G. Grossa (J.P had some magnificent mating-pics of these a few moons back. Grossa are the, as I understand it, ones with a 'golden' carapace, and brownish hair-

G. Ihjeringi (Supposedly bigger than Actaeon, but somewhat similiar in that it has a red rump, aslo said to keep colours when maturing(?))

G. Actaeon (Juvs bluish with red rumps, quite like Ihjeringi, but reportedly smaller, and go all black when they mature(?))

G. Mollicoma (Bluish /dark legs, browner rump, a tad 'golden' carapace, supposedly synonym for /mixed up with G. Pulchripes)

What I've written about these may not be very correct, because info on these seems to be little and diluted :( , so I would very much like it if anyone could contribute with any knowledge/pics on either of these.

Thank you for your patience.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
K,just to get people started, I've translated this text from german, off of www.vogelspinnenwelt.com (with babelfish,can youtell?;) )

"
Here there is some in such a way at confusion during the kind designation. Usually the opinion prevails forwards that Grammostola of pulchripes was recognized as identical to Tapinauchenius grossa and the two kinds were united therefore to Grammostola grossa. Since approx.. for 2 years therefore Grammostola applies grossa as valid name for Grammostola of pulchripes. Grammostola mollicoma was considered as own and rare kind. As was communicated now us however by H.W. Auer, which refers to Platnick, that corresponds to the facts probably not completely. Therefore Grammostola is a pulchripes invalid synonym for Grammostola mollicoma (!). furthermore is Dr. Guenter Schmidt at the beginning of the 90iger exactly years the kind Tapinauchenius grossa to have examined and with the fact tighten that it actually concerns with Tapinauchenius grossa a Grammostola kind, which he as identically to Grammostola pulchripes recognized. Thus the designation Grammostola came off grossa. Grammostola of pulchripes was thus probably used longer time falsely than name for Grammostola mollicoma. The actual Grammostola of pulchripes was renamed in the meantime as identically to Tapinauchenius grossa recognized and therefore in Grammostola grossa. Thus the designation Grammostola of pulchripes is omitted completely. It is to be feared that due to information lacking and from it developed wrong kind designation already unintentionally hybrids of these two kinds (Grammostola mollicoma and Grammostola grossa) enstanden are. It would also explain unintentionally wrong designations of the animals why different statements about the behavior of Grammostola are made again and again grossa. The statements are enough from completely beautifully aggressively to absolutely peacefully (with same attitude conditions). On the other hand it is naturally also well-known that animals can behave the same kind completely differently. We ourselves got our first Spiderling of these Art(en) 1998. The Tierchen was sold at that time us as Grammostola of pulchripes. It proved as rather aggressively. Spiderlinge, which we got later under the designation Grammostola grossa, looked somewhat differently, than our first Spiderling (allegedly) of the same kind. That already surprised us. The animals showed themselves when growing up as more peaceful, than our only Spiderling. Forwards approx.. 1 1/2 years we got then (alleged) a Mollicoma young animal, which showed itself in the meantime as a bulk SA male. It is relatively peaceful. With annoyance it flees. The two photos show a subadultes Grammostola mollicoma female. It concerns in each case the same animal, however with different beam of light photographed. This animal is absolutely peaceful and comes easily on the hand.

Altogether some points on the fact that above " history " is correct. Therefore eyes on with the bulk SA purchase. It is particularly distinctive in this connection that always times again (although quite rarely) Spiderlinge are offered " as " genuine Mollicoma Spiderlinge for horrenden prices. An offer, which we saw on a stock exchange, holds the absolute record: DM 130, - (!!!) for a only one alleged Mollicoma Spiderling. "

It's hard to understand, and it just leaved me with a feeling that people aren't in agreement when it comes to G.Mollicoma / Grossa/ Pulchrides:/

What I'm wondering is if J.P's G. Grossas are the same as that Mollicoma on www.bighairyspiders.com ? If they aren't, I guess we can deduct that whatever Mollicomas look like, they aren't exactly like grossas , although some photos would lead you to believe that.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I received a G pulchra, which turned out to be a G grossa once he matured. However, they look so much alike, that it wasn't known until mating experiences with G pulchra females failed, and a G grossa female and he expressed interest in each other.
I don't know if there is sexual dimorphism with theses spp. or not. He was extremely black, almost blueish black.
I know that's not much help, but maybe goes to show that they are difficult to tell apart!

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Here's my G. grossa female

Joy

Last edited:

Joy

Old Timer
And here she is, heartlessly toying with the affections of Holley's male :(

Joy

Last edited:

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hmm..so at least males of G.Grossa can look alot like pulchras,meaning dark/black, until they mature?

Do Grossas generally gain their 'golden' carapace when they mature?
And btw,how did that mating go? On might be lead to believe by the caption that he was eaten? :)

Nice pics by the way.

I've also been wondering if what they say about the Actaeons is correct; that they become all black when they mature, both sexes?
Never heard this about any grammostolas, so it seems a bit weird, or doesn't it?

Joy

Old Timer
Originally posted by Vys
Hmm..so at least males of G.Grossa can look alot like pulchras,meaning dark/black, until they mature?

Do Grossas generally gain their 'golden' carapace when they mature?
And btw,how did that mating go? On might be lead to believe by the caption that he was eaten? :)

Nice pics by the way.

My grossa had a greenish/golden tone to her carapace from a relatively small size--say 1" or so. I am happy to say that she has not done any harm as yet to Holley's male, but sorry to say she hasn't allowed him to achieve insertion, either. It wouldn't bother me so much if it weren't that she's so encouraging right up to that point. But she only goes so far, and then it's like, "Don't touch me!"

Joy