Seedling/Germination Heat Mats

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Anybody have any experience with these? Would like to use them to get some pepper seeds growing, but I don't know if they would be suitable to use for germinating seeds via the plastic baggie/condiment container method (might get too hot?).

MES

Arachnosquire
I wouldn't think this would work, seedlings need light, not just heat. You could potentially use a reptile basking light (one that mimics sunlight) and that would probably work. However, if you put the seeds in a window or something where they did get lots if light, the heat mat may give them a little boost, but I don't think it would be necessary. If you did use the mat, I would suggest using some kind of microwave safe Tupperware, or just placing any other container further away from the mat.
Hope this helps!

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I wouldn't think this would work, seedlings need light, not just heat. You could potentially use a reptile basking light (one that mimics sunlight) and that would probably work. However, if you put the seeds in a window or something where they did get lots if light, the heat mat may give them a little boost, but I don't think it would be necessary. If you did use the mat, I would suggest using some kind of microwave safe Tupperware, or just placing any other container further away from the mat.
Hope this helps!
I’m not actually growing seedlings, I’m just starting the seeds. I’ve done this method before without any heat and had pretty low germination rates so I was hoping adding in the extra heat would help (optimal temp is 85-90).

MES

Arachnosquire
I’m not actually growing seedlings, I’m just starting the seeds. I’ve done this method before without any heat and had pretty low germination rates so I was hoping adding in the extra heat would help (optimal temp is 85-90).
Then heat mats will probably work, as long as you keep your containers elevated a bit or further from the mat. Sorry, I haven't tried to grow anything with heat mats, so this isn't very helpful! :confused:

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Then heat mats will probably work, as long as you keep your containers elevated a bit or further from the mat. Sorry, I haven't tried to grow anything with heat mats, so this isn't very helpful! :confused:
No worries, actually just made an account on a hot pepper forum and asked there too since I’m a bit paranoid about burning all my seeds lol

MikeyD

Arachnosquire
I use them. They can get a bit too warm unless you use a thermostat but most horticultural heat mats can be used on their own. Ideally you would find the preferred heat and set a thermostat. Many tropical species germinate well around a constant 23C. I have also put old ceramic tiles between the seedling tray and the heat mat and that can help diffuse the heat a little.