See through hide

inserirnome

Arachnopeon
I'm rehousing a G.Pulchripes soon and I'm still planing the setup. She loves to burrow and move soil around, but she is not shy at all. She is rarely hidden, and Light doesnt seem to bother her, since she is as active during the day as during Night. So I was thinking of doing something like a see through hide or cover.
Here is a little something I came up with:
image.jpeg
I was thinking of using peat Moss as substrate. Would the Moss be Able to retain the shape of the burrow using balloons and wraping foil? I dont think so... So I was thinking about using some cork sheets and maybe some wire holding and shaping it. Is it tarântula safe? I would cover it with silicone and substrate I guess...
What do you guys think ? Would it look good? Would it be safe ? Any advice apreciated

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I would skip the wire screen and opt for some well placed cork bark sheets adhered by silicon to those pieces of base drift wood. Having screen on the lid is one thing but having screen always in contact on the floor level is another. Unless you are talking about putting silicon in every square of that mesh and dumping peat moss onto the wet silicon to cover it all up top and bottom so there is no contact at all, that may work.

inserirnome

Arachnopeon
I would skip the wire screen and opt for some well placed cork bark sheets adhered by silicon to those pieces of base drift wood. Having screen on the lid is one thing but having screen always in contact on the floor level is another. Unless you are talking about putting silicon in every square of that mesh and dumping peat moss onto the wet silicon to cover it all up top and bottom so there is no contact at all, that may work.
Wasn't thinking about using the mesh at all, its just on the pic to show kinda where the surface would be. By wire i meant real wire stuck inside the cork sheet, so you can shape it and bend it.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Wasn't thinking about using the mesh at all, its just on the pic to show kinda where the surface would be. By wire i meant real wire stuck inside the cork sheet, so you can shape it and bend it.
Ahhhh, I see, you should be good as long as you seal up the exposed parts of wire. Very creative on your part.

inserirnome

Arachnopeon
Do Ts feel less safe when the hide has more than one entrance? Or people usualy minimize the entrances to use the space better and keep it darker?

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Do Ts feel less safe when the hide has more than one entrance? Or people usualy minimize the entrances to use the space better and keep it darker?
With all of the cork on the hide, it looks like a T blondi den :D I think it would be good. As for sub, I would just go with standard dirt. They don't need very much humidity, but it will work if you have nothing else. I've never made anything like that, but it seems like a cool idea. Also, what do you mean by see through? As in it is clear, or you can see into it from the front or side?

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
They pretty much work with what they've got. If they make a burrow it will be one entrance/exit and if they take refuge in a hollowed piece of tree they will make it to their liking, web up or push soil to close off what they don't want open. With the side being open (unless you're going to obscure the open side with something when not viewing) I would imagine your T would feel more secure with only one entrance from the start.

With all of the cork on the hide, it looks like a T blondi den :D I think it would be good. As for sub, I would just go with standard dirt. They don't need very much humidity, but it will work if you have nothing else. I've never made anything like that, but it seems like a cool idea. Also, what do you mean by see through? As in it is clear, or you can see into it from the front or side?
The side is going to be viewable like a T. blondi enclosure. That's what I'm envisioning. Clear is impossible, considering the supplies he's using.

inserirnome

Arachnopeon
See through as in exposed side view of the hole. I guess the thread's name is kinda misleading ...
I only thought of peat moss bcs I read somewhere that it is good to stablize big burrows, keeping them from sliding (it made sense to me), but since I'm gonna use the sheets to hold the "ceiling" I could swap that with dirt easily.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
See through as in exposed side view of the hole. I guess the thread's name is kinda misleading ...
I only thought of peat moss bcs I read somewhere that it is good to stablize big burrows, keeping them from sliding (it made sense to me), but since I'm gonna use the sheets to hold the "ceiling" I could swap that with dirt easily.
I don't think it really matters for the sub. I was just saying it for the fact that you don't need to waste peat :D Not sure about which sub is better for burrowing, but I think most subs would be fine.

TarantulasWorld

Arachnosquire
that screen is gonna cause you some issues with your T. it can get stuck through those tiny lil holes. Additionally I assume you wont actually use cardboard and its just a concept picture? I am not sure its much of a hide if the animal cant really hide?