See something odd?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Might as well throw this one in too, doing OK so far.

Last edited:

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, with the second one I sure do lol...

The first one... not sure, something unique... Love it's color...
I'm sure someone with expertise will chime in...

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Lol what the heck? The first one has 6 metasomal segments and the 2nd only has 4. The typical number for scorpions is 5. I wonder what the deal is?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Lol what the heck? The first one has 6 metasomal segments and the 2nd only has 4. The typical number for scorpions is 5. I wonder what the deal is?
ding, ding, ding, ding:eek:, kind of strange isn't it. May be wishful thinking but it makes more sense to me that it's some kind of birth defect rather than something genetic, I hope anyway, they are swammerdamis. I have a confession, I dropped one and it died 3 days later:wall:, but I think I have 2 females and at least one male, don't know about a forth one, going to recheck them all after one molts catching up with the others.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ding, ding, ding, ding:eek:, kind of strange isn't it. May be wishful thinking but it makes more sense to me that it's some kind of birth defect rather than something genetic, I hope anyway, they are swammerdamis. I have a confession, I dropped one and it died 3 days later:wall:, but I think I have 2 females and at least one male, don't know about a forth one, going to recheck them all after one molts catching up with the others.
Hi,

This kind of anomalies are not uncommon, but I have personally never seen scorpions with more or less metasomal segments...I think that somewhere during development it went wrong......maybe some "crap genes/ cells" messed up........I do not know much about this subject so can't tell you if it's a birth defect or genetical.....

Btw, look at the posterior edges of the tergite VII in both specimens, not as smooth as they should be....cq. a bit deformed....

Last edited:

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer

I thought they were your swammerdami. Man, you've had some bad luck with them. I hope you can get some nice babies at some point.

John

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah me too. The one with four metasomal segments has an extra book lung also, and is a runt so far, hope it makes it. I have two that seem normal. Yes I noticed that too Michiel, it's as though some metasomal segments tried to bleed over to mesosoma segments or vice-versa, one had no anus, of course I don't have that one anymore.

Last edited:

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah me too. The one with four metasomal segments has an extra book lung also, and is a runt so far, hope it makes it. I have two that seem normal. Yes I noticed that too Michiel, it's as though some metasomal segments tried to bleed over to mesosoma segments or vice-versa, one had no anus, of course I don't have that one anymore.

OMG, that no anus thing made laugh. Sorry! Totally off topic, but I instantly remembered talking to a person at the office (Dutch Probation Service), and he told me, with a red head and a bit ashamed that he had no anus and he worried how to do his community service, without a toilet in the vicinity.....:)