Second T on the way

Xafron

Arachnosquire
It has been about a month since I purchased my 4 inch female P. sazimai. I Bought a lil female G. pulchra at around 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 inches. I'm guessing this enclosure should be ok at it's current size. It should arrive tomorrow I think, it was shipped today.

I was curious if because it is so small, if i should add some water to the substrate. I know at least for slings, that people tend to provide more moisture. I'm not really sure if at this size it would be considered a sling though as the opinion on that seems to differ from person to person. Any advice would be helpful.

20170606_123727_HDR.jpg 20170606_123743_HDR.jpg

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Misting is pretty much a waste of time. I think it's best to overflow the water dish a bit, let it dry out, and repeat. The moss looks very nice, but Ts often don't like walking on it or anything that feels soft, so I wouldn't put quite as much around the dish if it was my enclosure.

My G. pulchra did not like moist substrate at all once he got over 2 inches.

Xafron

Arachnosquire
Misting is pretty much a waste of time. I think it's best to overflow the water dish a bit, let it dry out, and repeat. The moss looks very nice, but Ts often don't like walking on it, so I wouldn't put quite as much around the dish.
If it appears to be an issue for the G. pulchra I'll remove it. However my other T actually is on moss frequently, seems to almost like it. So I wanna see how the new one will react to it.

How much would you recommend overflowing? Just a small amount? Is this critical for smaller tarantulas?

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
If the sling is going to have trouble getting up over the side of the water dish (depends how deep your dish is and if you make the top edge flush with the sub or not) there's no harm in spilling a little bit over the edge so it can drink right off the surface of the sub if it wants to. Just a couple of inches of wet sub is fine for a sling. They can choose to hang out on it or go elsewhere.

Xafron

Arachnosquire
If the sling is going to have trouble getting up over the side of the water dish (depends how deep your dish is) there's no harm in spilling a little bit over the edge so it can drink right off the surface of the sub if it wants to. Just a couple of inches of wet sub is fine for a sling.
Ok...kinda nervous about this actually haha. Couple inches of wet sub won't be too much then? And the dish is just a little cap off of a gallon jug of water. Smallest thing I had, I thought it would probably work.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
It has been about a month since I purchased my 4 inch female P. sazimai. I Bought a lil female G. pulchra at around 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 inches. I'm guessing this enclosure should be ok at it's current size. It should arrive tomorrow I think, it was shipped today.

I was curious if because it is so small, if i should add some water to the substrate. I know at least for slings, that people tend to provide more moisture. I'm not really sure if at this size it would be considered a sling though as the opinion on that seems to differ from person to person. Any advice would be helpful.

View attachment 242502 View attachment 242503
The enclosure might be a little large for a sling of that size. I'd have a deli cup ready just in case it's smaller then you anticipated.

Adding a hide would be good as well. I like to use cork bark and dig a small crevasse under it, that way your pulchra can burrow and feel secure, would be the icing on the cake for that enclosure.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Don't be worried. G. pulchra is very hardy. That dish sounds good for a sling that size.

Xafron

Arachnosquire
The enclosure might be a little large for a sling of that size. I'd have a deli cup ready just in case it's smaller then you anticipated.

Adding a hide would be good as well. I like to use cork bark and dig a small crevasse under it, that way your pulchra can burrow and feel secure, would be the icing on the cake for that enclosure.
I can never find any around here, for some reason pet stores do not seem to carry it. Maybe I'll buy online, although I hate to pay for shipping...

I tried to start a little hole in the corner with my finger. Was hoping it would find that and burrow down where I could see it.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Take the plants out. If you want some decoration you should use smaller aquatic plants like this
and don't include a hide. Babies like yours will dig their own burrows.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
A lot of your decisions will be based on your actual sling size from water bowl size, damp moss, etc.. (Plus, I dunno if your sling can escape through the vent holes in top or not).
Your whole set up may change greatly when you know what size sling you're actually receiving.

I know 1.5" - 1.75" could be as little as 3/4" or as big as 2" depending on the seller.

I always offer a hide -- even if it's a tiny sling, it might just be a small piece of corkbark or a leaf. Just something and then they are welcome to burrow under it or ignore it. Obviously, A larger sling gets a larger hide.

Congrats anyway -- always exciting to get a new sling!

Xafron

Arachnosquire
A lot of your decisions will be based on your actual sling size from water bowl size, damp moss, etc.. (Plus, I dunno if your sling can escape through the vent holes in top or not).
Your whole set up may change greatly when you know what size sling you're actually receiving.

I know 1.5" - 1.75" could be as little as 3/4" or as big as 2" depending on the seller.

I always offer a hide -- even if it's a tiny sling, it might just be a small piece of corkbark or a leaf. Just something and then they are welcome to burrow under it or ignore it. Obviously, A larger sling gets a larger hide.

Congrats anyway -- always exciting to get a new sling!
The seller is Jamie's Tarantulas. The vent holes should be small enough I think. If not then I guess I will get a deli cup, and poke smaller holes in it.

I have some more cut up plastic plant, maybe I can cut a leaf off and use that.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
don't include a hide. Babies like yours will dig their own burrows.
In a vial or tall deli cup with a smaller sling, that is true. In an enclosure like this with a sling that's approaching 2 inches, they definitely appreciate a hide in my opinion. G. pulchra is not an obligate burrower or anything, so if a hide is there, they tend to use it at that size.

Last edited:

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
The seller is....
Mine wasn't meant as a slam against all sellers -- just admitting that until you actually receive the T, you cannot be 100% sure of size.
I've opened small vials and actually thought it might be empty; and I've opened teensy-tiny little vials and some 1.5" sling unfolds from it like a clown getting out of a clown car. :embarrassed:

We get enough posts here where someone had everything set up for new arrival... and um, changes had to be made. Doesn't mean that will happen in your case! :)

I have some more cut up plastic plant, maybe I can cut a leaf off and use that.
If it turns out to be a tiny little sling -- a leaf can work well. Obviously if you end up with something pushing 2" -- you might need a more substantial (but still smallish) hide.

Last edited:

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
In a vial or tall deli cup with a smaller sling, that is true. In an enclosure like this with a sling that's approaching 2 inches, they definitely appreciate a hide in my opinion. G. pulchra is not an obligate burrower or anything, so if a hide is there, they tend to use it at that size.
I need to remind myself that tarantulas in the same genus don't act the same. My G pulchripes dug its own burrows at 2.5 inches, but this isn't a G pulchripes.

Xafron

Arachnosquire
Mine wasn't meant as a slam against all sellers -- just admitting that until you actually receive the T, you cannot be 100% sure of size.
I've opened small vials and actually thought it might be empty; and I've opened teensy-tiny little vials and some 1.5" sling unfolds from it like a clown getting out of a clown car. :embarrassed:

We get enough posts here where someone had everything set up for new arrival... and um, changes had to be made. Doesn't mean that will happen in your case! :)

If it turns out to be a tiny little sling -- a leaf can work well. Obviously if you end up with something pushing 2" -- you might need a more substantial (but still smallish) hide.
I figured. I was just telling you it was Jamie's, and thought that might tell you whether or not the size I gave is accurate based on who the seller is (I've never purchased from her, so I have no idea).

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I need to remind myself that tarantulas in the same genus don't act the same.
True, but honestly, even specimens of the same species raised 3 inches apart don't always act the same. One of my P. sazimai slings is about twice the size of the other one. They were the same size when I got them. One hides a lot and isn't a big eater. The other is out much more and eats like a monster. <shrug>

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Hell, even Tarantulas of the same species don't act the same :wacky:
Even tarantulas of the same specimen don't act the same XD. A few weeks ago Rex gave me his first threat pose after i touched his butt with a pen, although he stopped after like half a second after he realized what it was.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
One of my two pulchras (the smaller 2.5" one) is always in her hide. I would feel bad about not giving her that choice; it would probably stress her out to feel constantly exposed.

Last edited:

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
The best thing to do is to wait until the T arrives, then judge all your worries from there, all the info you've received is great but it is all dependant on the size of the spider, just wait and see.