Second Scorp

chaoshybrid6

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey, I recently had a bad turn of luck with bascially all of my baby P. imps dieing, the mother is doing fine from what I can see but I'm interested in researching my next scorp. I have a 5.5 gallon tank that was going to be for the babies but they obviously wont be needing it. I already have it set up with the gravel bottom and tube for humidity control, 100% peat as the substrate, and a zoo med heat pad on the back of the tank, I would like to get a scorp that would thrive in these conditions but is also interesting. I had in mind some of the Heterometrus spp. or maybe a different Pandinus species such as Caviminus. Let me know what you guys think and if you have any different suggestions they would be appreciated. Thanks

chaoshybrid6

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well there are lots of options.. what qualities do you want in the scorpion?
Something that will be more active than my P. Imp at night but something that wont take my hand out if I try and change its water lol. But the main thing is the tank conditions I already have set-up I would just like it to work with that. I know I'm being a little vague here but I guess I'd say a semi-beginner to moderate keeping level. I plan on eventually getting a Hadogenes spp. and a Hadrurus spp. but Hadogenes like it dry and Hadrurus like sand so I'll be setting up appropriate tanks in the near future. I really hadn't put any thought into anything else but those two spp. but since the Imp babies didnt turn out I'd like to use the tank that I spent the time to set up. I'm really open to suggestions since I had no plans on getting another one immediately but I'm liking the excuse to get another one lol.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
See if you can scoop up some P boreus. I am fairly sure they inhabit swamp like conditions. A few people keep them, I know at least one person has some and they are native to a lot of members also.

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The P boreus found in Canada live in Scab land and areas like that. Unless the ones in the US have a different habitat, i think it would be a bad choice in scorpion for a high humidity tank.