Seattle Bug Safari

Gleek

Arachnopeon
Hi,
i went to the seattle bug safari near pike place warket in seattle Washington. I thought it was great! it wasnt super based on education (id say anyway) but it had a fabuolos array of arachnids, phasmids as well as centipedes, millipedes, plus a huge lot of beetles/roaches! The enclosures were clean and well furnished the man (manning the front) was very nice. He wasnt the owner but pretty educated on the subject of arthros. im planning on going back to meet the owner at some point. Apparently they had an excess of chinese mantises(Tenodera Aridifolia Sinensis) and had a few for sale so i adopted one. Ying Yang(mantis) is both active and a very healthy eater. She downed two baby B.Dubia roaches within the first twenty minutes of being home! Shes only two inches but shes incredibly fascinating. oh and i got a little spider key chain, in the gift shop! i highly recomend a visit.
the website is SeattleBugSafari.com

Gleek

TheTarantulaKid

Arachnopeon
I went there on 11/26/11 (my birthday :p) and it was awesome! They had some pedes, some roaches, and some tarantulas like a few G. roseas, G. pulchripes, a couple of pokies (they had a pederseni for sale, and a regalis on display), a couple true T. blondis, a L. parahybana, and a couple P. camburigi (spelling?) over all it was very nice. I would recommend it. And the owner really knows what he's taking about, unlike some zoos :p over all, it was a great trip.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Very well put together in a large room separate from the retail entrance. A few too many repeats for my taste but some impressive displays all the same. The Abedus(?) water bugs are reproducing in what I thought was the crown jewel of the collection. Good representation of predators & herbivores: roaches of a few different varieties, phasmids, 'true' spiders, tarantulas, lubbers, etc. Nice displays, some for sale, of expired display animals. An even mix of education and entertainment. A notch below San Diego Zoo's new-ish invert area...pretty good in my book.

littleredrider

Arachnopeon
When I went there they had a full grown Goliath female... That was the coolest thing there, she was HUGE and very active at the time.

terancheped42

Arachnosquire
i went there with my younger brother and sister, it was very cool! i didn't know they sold animals there though...

Jessie

Arachnopeon
My husband took me there yesterday. The place was quite neat -- that huge T. blondi was something else; I was also impressed with the L. parahybana. They were selling some P. pedersenis.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
That's too bad...Pike Place won't be the same without you. If you put up a classified ad here for 'local pickup only' you'll probably have better luck selling the critters. Best of luck!

Heckboy

Arachnopeon
theres a really nice bug zoo if you hop the ferries and head to Victoria. haha.
True. Went there on a field trip with my daughter's class (no way I was missing that!). A very cool leafcutter ant colony setup in that place.

Arienette

Arachnoknight
True. Went there on a field trip with my daughter's class (no way I was missing that!). A very cool leafcutter ant colony setup in that place.
yep :) we do a lot of research around Vancouve/Victoria on the European Fire ants that have established themselves in the area.. i try to sneak by the zoo once a year at least :p

jakykong

Arachnobaron
Sadly, the Seattle Bug Safari is closing its doors on Monday.

They're selling everything. The furniture, the animals, everything. I went in today to offer a bid for one or two of their tarantulas.

nikki9093

Arachnosquire
I went yesterday and bought some tanks. Saw a t I wanted but eh....sad to see this place closing its doors.