Sealing wood

Beastie

Arachnoknight
Okay, I'm here to pick your brains again. I have collected so manzanita wood from my yard and I would like to use it in my enclosure. However I am considering using something to seal the wood, both to preserve the wood and to keep out any pests/keep it from molding. What would be my best/safest option? Would modge podge work? Also this wood is very smooth, is it going to be too slippery for the T?

cold blood

Staff member
Collect wood from as far away from yards and homes as possible...even if you don't spray things, a neighbor probably does....if you have no neighbors and live in the sticks...disregard:)

You keep it from molding by first removing all the moisture...baking is the obvious solution. Then you continue to keep it mold free by providing good ventilation and not allowing the wood or areas around it to stay damp. Keeping things clean and removing uneaten or dead prey and picking up and bolus is the last step.

The wood in a proper enclosure doesn't need to preserved...it will likely still out last your lifetime, or at least your spider's.

If glass isn't too slippery, nothing will be. Just make sure its wide enough for the t to stretch out on...no thin sticks for the most part.

Beastie

Arachnoknight
Collect wood from as far away from yards and homes as possible...even if you don't spray things, a neighbor probably does....if you have no neighbors and live in the sticks...disregard:)

You keep it from molding by first removing all the moisture...baking is the obvious solution. Then you continue to keep it mold free by providing good ventilation and not allowing the wood or areas around it to stay damp. Keeping things clean and removing uneaten or dead prey and picking up and bolus is the last step.

The wood in a proper enclosure doesn't need to preserved...it will likely still out last your lifetime, or at least your spider's.

If glass isn't too slippery, nothing will be. Just make sure its wide enough for the t to stretch out on...no thin sticks for the most part.
I guess I should be more specific, this particular wood has beautiful red bark on it and I would like to keep it that way if possible. I may still decide to just forget about sealing it... idk. What temp do you bake at and for how long generally? I do live in the middle of nowhere btw, my ball python has a piece of the same wood in his enclosure.

cold blood

Staff member
It shouldn't change color...but then, I am not familiar with that particular wood.

You simply should not use anything on the wood. Ts bite everything, if its in the enclosure, it ends up in their mouthparts.

I usually bake wood for 20-30 min at 250...but I don't time it, I go by smell...you can smell when the wood dries out.