screens and tape?

bodc21

Arachnojason
Old Timer
as of right now i have my t in a 20 gallon tank which i know is a lil too big for him i got jungle mix about 4 inchs high which means he drops a good ways while climbing. lately ive been having alot of problems with him getting stuck in the screen when i get a lil more money ill buy a smaller inclosure so this wont keep happening tonite was by far the worst that this has happened the poor thing was stuck for a good 20 min the problem was i couldnt get the screen lid off cause it slides and would of taken his leg off i tried and tried to gently unhook him from the lid and didnt succeed he finally got freed ran to his retreat terrified so while he was in there i took off the lid and on the outside edges put masking tape was that a good idea or not?

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
wait... you took off the lid and put masking tape around the outside edges...?
uhm.. spiders can climb up tape strips...

anyways if you really wana keep him off the top I would use Fluon

The stuff is like $18 a 4oz bottle but its great. Its basicly made so glass climber insects slip down. Its like a paint that drys and makes a sorta plastic type strip on the glass.

I think bioquip.com has some in stock , or you could use sewing machine oil.

bodc21

Arachnojason
Old Timer
thanks i will check that out,i took off the screen lid and on the outside edges where he seems to get stuck in i put masking tape all around the lid.

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by bodc21
as of right now i have my t in a 20 gallon tank which i know is a lil too big for him i got jungle mix about 4 inchs high which means he drops a good ways while climbing. lately ive been having alot of problems with him getting stuck in the screen when i get a lil more money ill buy a smaller inclosure so this wont keep happening tonite was by far the worst that this has happened the poor thing was stuck for a good 20 min the problem was i couldnt get the screen lid off cause it slides and would of taken his leg off i tried and tried to gently unhook him from the lid and didnt succeed he finally got freed ran to his retreat terrified so while he was in there i took off the lid and on the outside edges put masking tape was that a good idea or not?
I have a very large adult female g. rosea that would climb and get stuck on the screen also. she seemed to only do this when the water bowl dried up in the summer. when she got stuck I would tilt the enclosure whichever way so that she was touching the side and then I would pick her stuck claw off with a toothpick, she could then get on the side glass and climb down. I have several other t's in reptile style terrariums with the sliding screens on top and the rosea is the only one to have gotten stuck.
Ed

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
thanks i will check that out,i took off the screen lid and on the outside edges where he seems to get stuck in i put masking tape all around the lid.
The best and easiest way I've found to avoid this situation is simply to raise the substrate level. As long as the spider can touch the substrate while hanging from the lid, it can free itself. This means the distance from the top of the substrate to the lid should be no more than the spider's outstretched legspan. That's what's recommended for terrestrial species anyway, as a precaution against their falling and hurting themselves.

Joy

bodc21

Arachnojason
Old Timer
thats alot of damn substrate tomorrow im going to go get a smaller enclosure for him but what to do with the 20 gal tank what species could i get that would be good for that ?

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
thats alot of damn substrate tomorrow im going to go get a smaller enclosure for him but what to do with the 20 gal tank what species could i get that would be good for that ?
If you're really looking to find a spider that doesn't look out place in a 20G (I'm assuming you're talking a 20G long) you need to think genus Theraphosa, as in blondi or apophysis. If you are talking a 20G high, I'd go with a large arboreal such as pokie or one of the larger avics (like braunshauseni).