Screen Mod

LadyVonChimp

Arachnosquire
Hi guys, I've got an Exo Terra arriving soon for my P. irminia, and i've been looking up how to replace the mesh lid, but I have a question.

Does it HAVE to be acrylic or plexiglass used and silliconed in after the mesh has been removed, or am I able to use a normal piece of clear plastic and fix it with hot glue on the edges and placed over the mesh instead?

Any insight would be much appreciated,

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi guys, I've got an Exo Terra arriving soon for my P. irminia, and i've been looking up how to replace the mesh lid, but I have a question.

Does it HAVE to be acrylic or plexiglass used and silliconed in after the mesh has been removed, or am I able to use a normal piece of clear plastic and fix it with hot glue on the edges and placed over the mesh instead?

People have removed it, and others have put plastic sheet under screen

Plexi a brand name if I recall.

There’s video on stupidtube that is good done by one of the AB members.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Not sure what a 'normal piece of plastic is' but as long as it is a stable/ sturdy enough piece of plastic that you can put ventilation in, it doesnt really matter what you use. Acrylic is just very common and easy to get and is clear but its not the only thing you can use/available.

LadyVonChimp

Arachnosquire
People have removed it, and others have put plastic sheet under screen

Plexi a brand name if I recall.

There’s video on stupidtube that is good done by one of the AB members.
Ah that's great, thank you.

Not sure what a 'normal piece of plastic is' but as long as it is a stable/ sturdy enough piece of plastic that you can put ventilation in, it doesnt really matter what you use. Acrylic is just very common and easy to get and is clear but its not the only thing you can use/available.
Sorry, I should've been clearer, I mean clear plastic packaging. I have some fairly sturdy packaging plastic that came with a christmas gift, which looks to be a good size for what I need. I'm trying to think of ways to repurpose something at home before I order acrylic online.

basin79

ArachnoGod

Made this a few years ago.

LadyVonChimp

Arachnosquire
Made this a few years ago.
Yes that's a great vid, have been watching it :happy: that's sort of why I was wondering if I could just use plastic packaging and a hot glue gun or if it has to be perspex and silicone?

basin79

ArachnoGod
Yes that's a great vid, have been watching it :happy: that's sort of why I was wondering if I could just use plastic packaging and a hot glue gun or if it has to be perspex and silicone?
I'm not 100% on the glue from a hot glue gun. As in if it's non toxic. That's why used aquarium silicone. But if the glue is non toxic then yes it'd work. The reason I used perspex is because it's mm's thick. So there's no way a tarantula's foot claw could go through and find the mesh if that makes sense.

Last edited:

LadyVonChimp

Arachnosquire
I'm not 100% on the glue from a hot glue gun. As in if it's non toxic. That's why used aquarium silicone. But if the glue is non toxic then yes it'd work. The reason I used perspex is because it's mm's thick. So there's no eat a tarantula's foot claw could go through and find the mesh if that makes sense.
I'll look it up to be 100% sure but if it is I'll grab the sealant. I should have some somewhere from when I sealed some snake vivs.
Good point about the thickness, thanks for the tips.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I'll look it up to be 100% sure but if it is I'll grab the sealant. I should have some somewhere from when I sealed some snake vivs.
Good point about the thickness, thanks for the tips.
Bloody typo. WAY not EAT.

Malum Argenteum

Arachnoknight
placed over the mesh instead?
Placed under the mesh would be better, I think, especially if the plastic is flexible enough that a toe could get through the mesh and between the mesh and the plastic.

I like the reuse idea. If it were me, I'd test the adhesive on a scrap piece of the material you're going to use to make sure it adheres as expected -- I don't know about PET (which is what most clear packaging plastic is) but I do know that LDPE is relatively difficult to adhere to.

LadyVonChimp

Arachnosquire
Placed under the mesh would be better, I think, especially if the plastic is flexible enough that a toe could get through the mesh and between the mesh and the plastic.

I like the reuse idea. If it were me, I'd test the adhesive on a scrap piece of the material you're going to use to make sure it adheres as expected -- I don't know about PET (which is what most clear packaging plastic is) but I do know that LDPE is relatively difficult to adhere to.
Ah thank you. I did mean over the mesh as opposed to removing the mesh, but certainly underneath haha. That's a good plan, thanks. I'll see what I can muster up this evening.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I am working on replacement lid prototypes that can just be fit in. Things are delayed because of covid so it is taking longer than expected. You only need the sealant if the Plexiglas is thin and attached to the existing lid, a thicker plex(6mm) should fit in pretty securely all by itself

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I am working on replacement lid prototypes that can just be fit in. Things are delayed because of covid so it is taking longer than expected. You only need the sealant if the Plexiglas is thin and attached to the existing lid, a thicker plex(6mm) should fit in pretty securely all by itself
This sounds like a good idea!! Plug and Play it sounds like whats your going for.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
This sounds like a good idea!! Plug and Play it sounds like whats your going for.
Always. My occupation, design sensibilities is always based on 'easy'. I typically am competing with foreign companies, so I have to keep things simple so we win on price and delivery. Because they can under sell, but the stuff takes forever to cross the pond so 'competitive pricing' and 'quick return' is my SOP

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Always. My occupation, design sensibilities is always based on 'easy'. I typically am competing with foreign companies, so I have to keep things simple so we win on price and delivery. Because they can under sell, but the stuff takes forever to cross the pond so 'competitive pricing' and 'quick return' is my SOP
Well hopefully for you this plug and play thing for enclosures takes off!!

basin79

ArachnoGod
Is it you that's producing those phenomenal cnc perspex lids?

I wanted to mention your way of just using a think piece of perspex and the original twist locks but couldn't remember your username.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Is it you that's producing those phenomenal cnc perspex lids?
I wanted to mention your way of just using a think piece of perspex and the original twist locks but couldn't remember your username.
Yeah, it's me. My shop has 3 buildings and because of Covid concerns they have limited staff to one building. I design in the west building but cutting and such happens in the east building so I can't work on photos right now. Stinks because I have an order for the standard lids I already do, and they want some real big ones for large snake cases to help hold in humidity. So I am presently stalled and frustrated

basin79

ArachnoGod
Yeah, it's me. My shop has 3 buildings and because of Covid concerns they have limited staff to one building. I design in the west building but cutting and such happens in the east building so I can't work on photos right now. Stinks because I have an order for the standard lids I already do, and they want some real big ones for large snake cases to help hold in humidity. So I am presently stalled and frustrated
I've got an idea for you also. I'm PM you with it if that's alright?