Scotts Sphagnum Peat Moss...

invadermike

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey, i wat at home depot and saw Scotts Sphagnum Peat Moss, i was woundering if anyone uses this brand of peat moss. it was cheap and i thought i would buy it, but i wasn't sure if there were any chemicals or chances of mites being in the peat moss. DOES ANY ONE USE THIS? is it good? let me know. thanks.

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I haven't tried it yet but I am curious too.

bodc21

Arachnojason
Old Timer
i was wondering also?,i need to know what is the best brand to use also for peat moss and potting soil?so far ive been using my moms potting soil she had i do not know what brand it is and i need more my t's seem to like it-jason

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I use it all the time and like it very much. As to what brand I don't think it matters as long as it is chemical free. For potting soil I use the scotts african violet soil, it is light and fluffy.The fluffyness (for lack of better words) makes the soil easier to moisten.

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
isnt sphagnum moss a haven for cricket/bug breeding?

ive never come accross it where i am sorry :)

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
James, I use Scott's all the time. Their peat is very finely ground and has few sticks and, no more than I use, is priced well as you noted.

Their Pro-Gro soilless potting mix used to be an awesome potting soil as well, but they now use perlite instead of vermiculite. Although some people say they have no problems with perlite I refuse to use it as substrate ingredient as it can be quite a respiratory irritant when dry and I'm not willing to take chances.

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey
with perlite I refuse to use it as substrate ingredient as it can be quite a respiratory irritant when dry and I'm not willing to take chances.
That is the nice thing about the afircan violet mix it has no perlite in it, only pure composted matter. The only down side to it is that it cost much more than other types of soil.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have been using Scott's for years. I think it's great myself.

As far as it being a cricket breeding ground, any slightly moist surface is a cricket breeding ground. Crickets will lay their eggs on a wet paper towel if you let them.
If you don't want crix breeding in your tanks, only feed your T what it will eat at one time.

Atrax

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
I just went to Home depot about 2 yrs ago and bought a 2 cu ft. bale of peat. I think it cost me about 6 bucks. Dumped it and about 3 or 4 8 qt bags of vermiculite into a 66 qt (or something like that) bin and mixed it up. It's sitting out on my deck and I still have about half of it left. Don't bother with the bags of peat, they're too expensive for the amount you get :)

Scott

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Yep I use it too.. never a problem, and it's good quality stuff. no smell like some of the other substrates I tried too.

Bill

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
James, I use Scott's all the time. Their peat is very finely ground and has few sticks and, no more than I use, is priced well as you noted.

Their Pro-Gro soilless potting mix used to be an awesome potting soil as well, but they now use perlite instead of vermiculite. Although some people say they have no problems with perlite I refuse to use it as substrate ingredient as it can be quite a respiratory irritant when dry and I'm not willing to take chances.
hey, i used to have that avatar CM, but changed it, you might have gotten confused! :)

James

P.S- i am James, he is i think mike?

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Any body ever use a mix of Pure worm castings and coir ?? I ask because I use worm castings and coir as a potting soil mix for starting pepper plants every year and I have a great deal of it around. It holds its shape well and moisture while resisting growing mold. one of the reasons I stuck with using it is because I have never lost a seedling to damping off like with peat based mixes and its considered 100% organic. I thought it would make a good substrate but I didn't read about anyone using it so went with a coir/verm mix since I have read about people using both of those.

Midwest Art

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sphagnum Peat Moss

Sphagnum Peat? L-O-V-E it, especially when mixed with vermiculite, I buy Schultz brand from Ace Hardware. It's a very honest substrate, very easy to guage humidy levels by weight.

N-Joy
Art

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Ditto to what mrderanged and conipto said...I also use them for scorp enclosures...also usually get one of those 50lb bags of sand too for the scorp mixtures.

John
];')

ceaser68

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have been experimenting with the miricle grow with moisture additives .. i have had no problems as a matter of fact i think they like it.... and it's so much easier to keep the humidy up !

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by Tarantula Lover
hey, i used to have that avatar CM, but changed it, you might have gotten confused! :)

James

P.S- i am James, he is i think mike?
Heh, you are right :8o

Just did a glance at the avatar and thought, hey, that's Tarantula Lover - oops.

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by ceaser68
I have been experimenting with the miricle grow with moisture additives .. i have had no problems as a matter of fact i think they like it.... and it's so much easier to keep the humidy up !

might want to watch the chemicals in that.
Spagnum peat moss is free of additives, I use that and nothing else, its great in my opinion.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I use Black Gold brand peat moss, and mix it with vermiculite.
I love it, and I have a huge bale of it in my garage. It lasts forever.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Holley, do you really expect us to believe that big bale in your garage is peat moss? :D ;P :D

John
];')

Last edited:

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
Heh, you are right :8o

Just did a glance at the avatar and thought, hey, that's Tarantula Lover - oops.
Thats alright! No Problem though~!:)

James

P.S- will change it again with a custom avatar! (from arachnopets)