Scorplings and Feeding?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't own scrorps. However, I have long thought they were interesting. In fact, I always thought I'd get a scorpion and never a T!

Of course I've seen tons of females with their numerous babies on mother's backs. I looked through videos on-line and I find plenty of scorplings eating when they are on the ground, but I don't understand the transition from off the mother to off on their own. Here are my questions:

1. Do scorplings remain on the mother until they are ready to eat their first meal after birth, and then maternal care is over?
2. If the above isn't true, how do they detect prey if on the mother's back?

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Since I am seeing many video clips with a mom scorpion eating things while many babies still on her back, I am assuming it’s the case of number one.

Also I often see video clips of young babies eat their mom for their first meal for some species.

Sterls

Arachnobaron
My understanding is they don't eat until after their first molt, at which point they generally leave their mother's back.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Scorpion moms don't play a protecting motherly roll. The babies are essentially on there own from. Birth and are lucky if mom doesn't eat them

LucaBrasi3

Arachnopeon
Just had !2 baby hairy dessert scorps. Stayed on moms back for 12days molted then started just dropping off her and exploring its new area. At this point we caught all 12 separated them into there own enclosure. We keep feeder crickets in there living ecosystems so were able to catch tiny baby crickets size of pin head and put them in the enclosure and hope for the best.

NMWAPBT

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Babies are ready to eat soon as they molt into 2nd instar. They'll readily hunt small prey like pin heads or will also scavenge pre killed meals.

LucaBrasi3

Arachnopeon
Babies are ready to eat soon as they molt into 2nd instar. They'll readily hunt small prey like pin heads or will also scavenge pre killed meals.
Yup so pin head crickets I have already from adult females laying eggs before being eaten. But I also bought these flightless fruit fly larva. And they love these. Well most of them do. Some still dont understand I think. But it's a little easier then catching the pin heads. Know I use tweezers and drop small groups of the larva throughout the enclosure. But I dropped about 100 all togther in there. And I'm sure 98 of them got eaten. 20201202_120619.jpg

NMWAPBT

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yup so pin head crickets I have already from adult females laying eggs before being eaten. But I also bought these flightless fruit fly larva. And they love these. Well most of them do. Some still dont understand I think. But it's a little easier then catching the pin heads. Know I use tweezers and drop small groups of the larva throughout the enclosure. But I dropped about 100 all togther in there. And I'm sure 98 of them got eaten. View attachment 367877
Awesome! Whatever works man as long as they're eating and growing!

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I don't own scrorps. However, I have long thought they were interesting. In fact, I always thought I'd get a scorpion and never a T!

Of course I've seen tons of females with their numerous babies on mother's backs. I looked through videos on-line and I find plenty of scorplings eating when they are on the ground, but I don't understand the transition from off the mother to off on their own. Here are my questions:

1. Do scorplings remain on the mother until they are ready to eat their first meal after birth, and then maternal care is over?
2. If the above isn't true, how do they detect prey if on the mother's back?
They remain on the mother's back until they molt for the first time.