Scorpling wont stay on mothers back

jessseu

Arachnopeon
So my heterometrus gave birth to about 20 scorplings after a cage upgrade the other day, it was one of those anomaly births and I wasnt expecting it at all so I’ve been cramming information on taking care of them the last few days. I had a cave stuffed with moss and dirt but she chose to cram herself between the glass and the cave, which was also filled with moss to keep her out. Her back is facing the glass so I have a pretty good view of them (I cover the glass so its dark enough now). Theres this one that has been inching his way up the glass all day, he got up to the top so I let him climb on to a paintbrush and tried to put him back in the burrow, she almost pinched him, idk if she realised it was her baby cause now its just sitting on her claw no problem, he seems really determined to get up and I dont really want to risk her eating him by putting him back. I have some moist containers set up for emergencies but maybe I should just leave it alone. Any advice on getting them through these next few weeks would be nice, I’m pretty new at this. Ive only had her for a few months & she lives in a ten gallon but before that she was in a cricket keeper with no burrow at the pet store.

Attachments

basin79

ArachnoGod
Does look like that little 1 is stuck behind that plastic stem or maybe it's the angle. I had a surprise like this late last year. I just left them too it to be honest. Although there was no where for the babies to actually get potentially stuck.

I will type scorpions have been doing this longer than humans have been around so it works.

jessseu

Arachnopeon
I don't think the stem is in the way, he’s been like that since yesterday and the others are pretty active so I assumed he must not have made it. It seems the one I put back is staying with her, she acts very aware of the difference between the babies and her prey, and just had a cricket in her mouth, so high hopes that she wont kill any

basin79

ArachnoGod
I don't think the stem is in the way, he’s been like that since yesterday and the others are pretty active so I assumed he must not have made it. It seems the one I put back is staying with her, she acts very aware of the difference between the babies and her prey, and just had a cricket in her mouth, so high hopes that she wont kill any
It's the first and only time it happened to me. And at a guess was an equal shock. I didn't even think my lass was an adult. Then I thought, moult due and woke up to babies.
I'm unsure if all the babies made it. Once they all left the mum's back I rehoused her and just have all the babies together. I'd hazard a guess there will have been casualties though.

aendi

Arachnopeon
My Heterometrus spinifer has recently had babies too, also unexpectedly! What I'm doing is that once the babies get off her back I re-home them to another enclosure I have prepared. It's important to do this quickly because they look a lot like crickets and they don't have great eyesight anyway, so it's easy for them to get confused. Good luck with the little scorplings!!

jessseu

Arachnopeon
My Heterometrus spinifer has recently had babies too, also unexpectedly! What I'm doing is that once the babies get off her back I re-home them to another enclosure I have prepared. It's important to do this quickly because they look a lot like crickets and they don't have great eyesight anyway, so it's easy for them to get confused. Good luck with the little scorplings!!
Thank you, I think I’ll have to pull her out as soon as they detach, either way she’s not very quick to grab crickets, and usually waits for them to come in her den so I dont think she’ll eat them so easily