Scorpling reaching for food

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Has anyone else experienced this? Its sooo adorable lol, my Spinifer sling is still only taking prekilled prey, but he seems to have gotten used to it almost, when I press the cricket against him he reaches in my direction with his little claws lol its so cute like he's asking for it.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
If you leave the prekill at the entrance to their burrow overnight they'll grab it aswell, tried that for the first time a couple days ago and it worked.

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If you leave the prekill at the entrance to their burrow overnight they'll grab it aswell, tried that for the first time a couple days ago and it worked.
What kind of burrow does your sling have? Right now, mine has about an inch to 1.5 of inch substrate (good substrate, that I have more of), he mostly spends his time underneath the leaves not really burrowed. But, he HAS burrowed before, 3 or 4 times. I've seen him make little burrows, he just never spends much time in them and ends up back inside the leaves.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
What kind of burrow does your sling have? Right now, mine has about an inch to 1.5 of inch substrate (good substrate, that I have more of), he mostly spends his time underneath the leaves not really burrowed. But, he HAS burrowed before, 3 or 4 times. I've seen him make little burrows, he just never spends much time in them and ends up back inside the leaves.
Diagonal burrow under a corbark, about 4" long 1.5" deep

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Diagonal burrow under a corbark, about 4" long 1.5" deep
Thanks, on your comments I am going to redesign his enclosure in a little bit. Also somehow he got an infestation of springtails in his thing, I am guessing they came from the nearby millipede enclosure. I dont think they hurt him, but they are literally so numerous in his enclosure they crawl over him constantly. I think he will appreciate a fresher substrate.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
Thanks, on your comments I am going to redesign his enclosure in a little bit. Also somehow he got an infestation of springtails in his thing, I am guessing they came from the nearby millipede enclosure. I dont think they hurt him, but they are literally so numerous in his enclosure they crawl over him constantly. I think he will appreciate a fresher substrate.
Springtails are good, their population will normalize with time, your enclosure is probably fine. Many ways to keep these guys happy

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Springtails are good, their population will normalize with time
The reason I say that is like, the other day I raise up his corkbark, and its tiny piece of cork, but its like bottom side is rife with these little fly looking guys, but they only crawl. I know grain mites, and other mites, and these guys dont seem like mites. They have visible wings almost. But they only crawl. They are very fast. Is it possible theyre something other than springtails?

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
The reason I say that is like, the other day I raise up his corkbark, and its tiny piece of cork, but its like bottom side is rife with these little fly looking guys, but they only crawl. I know grain mites, and other mites, and these guys dont seem like mites. They have visible wings almost. But they only crawl. They are very fast. Is it possible theyre something other than springtails?
Springtails don't have wings. Would need a picture

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Also these guys are so tiny its hard to get a pic.

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It's hard to get a picture of them with my camera on my phone. I looked up pics of fungus gnats and these dont look like them, theyre white and really flat.

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
If they’re white, they’re probably just springtails. The ‘wings’ you see may be something else.