Scorp'ling "moviestar"..:)

Kenny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi all...:)

It's late and I have used my IR video camera and got some very cool shot of my emperor baby's attack against a cricket.
I have this pot against the wall of the cage and beneath it the scorp'ling has made it's own "room" and since it's against the wall one has a direct look into the 'room".

I just really release the cricket thruu the hole in the pot so it falls down into the space between the pot and cage wall and then it has just "one-way down".

Down there it's dark and out of the shadows comes one little scorpl'ing with mega attack towards the cricket and I had "front-row".
This was just awesome to see.

I missed about the one fraction of a second the attack, because I had the camera turned off for the moment :? but the next part of the attackis there and I also shot when the scorpling started eating..:)

Kenny

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
So when are you making this footage publicaly available?

Cheers,
Dave

Kenny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi....

Hi..:)

Well,, I don't have digital,,although it's a Sony with all kind "candy" on it including this very cool thing called nightvision.

So I don't know really how to get the none-digital over to the computer..:)

I would be glad to share it.

Kenny.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
You see, I have a digital capturing ability, but not the camcorder. Do you have anyone localy with a video capture card?

Cheers,
Dave

Kenny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
DOH,,,:)

Hi..

I should have known..lol.

I'll see if I can get a video-capturing card ( or anyone that has one ) and I'll work on it.

I also have a lot of spider'lings in-the-dark-life on tape.

The really go from Dr.Jekyll to Mr.Hyde sometimes:D

Especially my Green Bottle, really goes mega active during night.

have a good one
Kenny

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
That is as it should be.

I find that most of my spiders will do at least something during the day. Most will capture prey, for example. Most of my scorpions will not -- but once night hits you can hear them doing their thing. Unless you have a red light on them, in which case you can occasionaly catch them with your eyes as well.

Cheers,
Dave

Kenny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh yes..

Hi.

Yes mine also take prey during day when tempted with it.

I gave my A.Avic crickets 3 days in a row during day without problem.

The scorp'ling is more, as you say, abscent during day to just show from it's "room" with 2 claws sticking out during night, being ready.:)

Kenny

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Found two more exceptions to my "won't eat in the light" rule with scorpions. I had forgoten to mention that my C.exilicauda will capture prey in lighted conditions -- especialy when they are hungry (when I first got mine and introduced some crickets, it was a 21-scorpion feeding frenzy).

I just got three of my A.bicolor and both of my P.transvaalicus to eat in lighted conditions. Hoorah.

Cheers,
Dave

Kenny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Dungeon,,,

Hi..

My emp baby has built an incredible dungeon beneath this halfburied pot that I have.:)

I used coconut bark that I mixed with jungle mix and it seems that since coconut bark to some extent contains "square-ish" pieces that seem to work like "coloumns", support-beams,,, in between the softer junglemix that the emp dug out.
Creates a real "cozy" dungeon-system.
When I mist, I only aim at the hole at the bottom of the pot and the water pours down.

I also provide misting on the substrate.
The coconut maintain the moist pretty good.

Kenny

Last edited: