Scorpions with thick tails

littebigspider

Arachnopeon
Are their any scorpions with very thick tails that are not
highly venomous, any size or temperment.

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
not to my knowledge! there are "thick tailed" scorpions that are moderately venemous.. like B.jacksoni.

thats one right there. and if you meant FAT tailed scorps then thats a definate no on the not being toxic as far as I know. hope that helps :D

littebigspider

Arachnopeon
I meant any species that fits the description. I really like the look of the
Androctonus mauritanicus, but not the dandger factor.

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah well there isnt anything with that look that isnt gonna be dangerous.. your options for that look are " P.transvaalicus, A.maurtitanicus, A.bicolor, and A.crassicauda I believe. all of which are nasty with the venom. even the B.jack is gonna be very unpleasant if you get a tag from it. though if you care for your scorp in a responsible manner (as you ahould anyways) there shouldnt be any risk of a sting really. but that is your call :D

ParabuthusKing

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
African "fat tail" scorpions are highly venomous, but if given proper respect I feel that they are not as dangerous as keeping a pet such as a viper, or other poisonous snake as they have much more limited mobility and are therefore easier to control.. With that said, I still think it is wise to get used to handling less toxic scorpions before delving into the fat tails, although these are amongst my favorite (hence my profile name).. if you are under 18 it is a good idea to ask parents permission, but best of luck to you.. p.s.. the A. mauritanicus are freaking awesome and definitely have some large tails, but they are very skittish and mine are somewhat more aggressive than Parabuthus genus..

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
really your mauritanicus are more agressive than you Parabuthus? I have heard the opposite. hmmm

littebigspider

Arachnopeon
Thanks guys or gals. I have kept H. arizonesis, P. emps, and various T's in the past, and currently have a H.arizonesis and a T. blondi. I'm 26, and I always respect the animals I keep. You can never be too cautious.

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well perhaps you should read up on the care of hot sp. like the ones that interest you.

littebigspider

Arachnopeon
I have done some research, but ultimately I think I'll have to stick with the less hot species.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:

JSN

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have done some research, but ultimately I think I'll have to stick with the less hot species.

Thanks,
Mike
they are hard to come by, but the tiny Orthochirus species have really fat tails...and as far as I know their venom is not very toxic...but I've heard good things about them so I thought I'd throw that out there...

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
What about Vaejovis spinigerus? The males in particular show a good tail thickness, as contrasted to their relatively light bodies.

V.spinigerus pic courtesy of the Scorpion Files

Readily available, easy to keep and lots of attitude. Plus, you can get stung in the morning and laugh about it by the afternoon. Granted, they aren't as extreme as A.australis or anything, but they ain't no Hadogenes.

Cheers,
Dave

drapion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dave is right.It's about the only scorp with a nice thicker tail with out the venom scale.But that goes for most Vaejovis species for that matter.So you have a few choices if you are looking to aquire a scorp..

1/2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I agree with Dave, he does have a good point.:D

Some Hottentotta species are moderatly venomous, but still not to be take lightly. The same goes for B.Jacksoni. The main thing is to respect the animals, and not take any chanses. That way even A.Australis can be safe to have in the collection. The more venomous ones like A.Australis etc. are not for people with little experience (this is why I don't have such spechies...). Even after 7 years of interest and collecting scorpions, I have never owned anything more venomous than a H.Spinifer. (Allthough I like the large scorpions, with strong/large pediclaps, and so have never gotten in to collecting other spechies.)

Hope you make a wise desicion and choose a scorpion you feel comfortable with. And don't take on a spechie that you don't feel ready for.

Best of luck.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Thanks,
Mike
Come on Mike, don't give up so quick!! I reaqlly think the spinigerus are a good idea. They are a lot of fun and as Dave said they have attitude. Plus they are small (about this large full grow {__________}) so they are simple to care for... Plus you don't need to be so concerned about humidity/mold and other stuff like with forrest species. You can keep a bunch in a small tank and they seem to be more active than forrest scorpions.