Scorpions viewed as "cute" by arachnophobics

Scorpusvonpork

Arachnosquire
I have noticed that people who were terrified of my spider collection years back tend to view my scorpions as "cute. This includes a woman who screamed so loudly for so long upon learning we had tarantulas in the home that I feared police would arrive. This very woman upon seeing a picture of my young dictator scorpions declared them "cute" and seemed pleased. It keeps occurring with people who see them. Have others experienced this phenomenon?

keks

Arachnobaron
I was terrible scared of spiders too, but never of scorpions. The reason for me was that scorpions dont't have the shape of spiders. Now I love the harmonic shape of tarantulas, but I still feel bad looking at arachnidae (I hope this is the right phrase).

Scorpusvonpork

Arachnosquire
It seems a primordial program is at work. Also the nifty pinchers which one must admit are actually cute.

Stugy

Arachnolord
Liocheles sp. are literally the definition of cute.
Nah all about them baby Hottentottas. For some reason I can't really find Liocheles cute. I can see why but I just personally don't see them as cute. :/ Too much time with buthids probably

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Nah all about them baby Hottentottas. For some reason I can't really find Liocheles cute. I can see why but I just personally don't see them as cute. :/ Too much time with buthids probably
And I can't find Buthids cute. Cool? Sure, Buthids are awesome. But I think the large claws, small tail is really cute.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
I fell in love with the scorps the moment I first saw one at the reptile store, I purchased my first AFS on the spot. And have went crazy ever since.......you put a TARANTULA in front of me... the torch is one hand my size 13" shoe in the other hand. With some combat boots on. And I want the house fumigated lol

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
Ive found it funny that more women seemed intrigued by my scorps and their boyfriends/husbands ran out of my scorp room crying lets get out of here.
Ive loved scorps since the first 1 i saw/bought at my LPS and ive been keeping them for 20+ years now
They are more than just cute though ... baby scorps are beautiful :)

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
What was your first scorp

I've had similar reactions. Every guy I tell I own scorps to look at me like I'm a freak but woman tend to 90% of the time find it cool and are always wanting to see them

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
My first was an Asian forest....followed by scorplings!! I don't know how many, but I had to buy a 12x24x6 enclosure and set it up just under mommy's cage!!

They are eating and ready to sell off. I'm taking to a local pet store.

Scorpusvonpork

Arachnosquire
Although I aim to be a scientific observer, I must confess to making a "deedle-deedle-deedle-deedle" sound on occasion when the baby's run around their tank.

Stugy

Arachnolord
So far most people who know I collect inverts are from classmates at school and they are surprised to know about it. The girls normally "wtf" while the guys go "waat damn Luan (my name) that's pretty cool though I'm never going near your house" xD

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
So far most people who know I collect inverts are from classmates at school and they are surprised to know about it. The girls normally "wtf" while the guys go "waat damn Luan (my name) that's pretty cool though I'm never going near your house" xD
Most of the people I tell at my school are like, "You do... what???" Then I reference my Instagram account and they're like "Oh... OK.... I'll uh... see you later. Heh."

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Little chubbies like Serradigitus gertschi with their spindly arms and plump physiques are quite cute.

Scorpusvonpork

Arachnosquire
Yes those are cute, I have looked at some pictures of them. Maybe spiders at first glance look like a menacing hand that can grab you in its grip. Scorpions have those arms which terminate in lobster claws. Their various arm gestures also beg to be anthropomolgized as we see parallels in the use of our own arms. I wonder if the general layout of spiders is so alien to our own construction that we more easily fear them. Scorpions on the other hand have those little arms which we can relate very readily. It must be something along those lines rather than either family's potential for harm.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
You know, they absolutely are cute! First time I saw my A. australis, I was in love with him. First reaction was "Dang! You're a lot smaller and tubbier than I thought you'd be!" The way he runs around with his dorky claws and fat tail sticking straight up like a cat...... It's strange to think about how many people have met their fate from these creatures!

Stugy

Arachnolord
All scorpions are cute to me ;) I'm just a little biased to Hottentotta species lol