• The Review & Report forums are closed to new posts. Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reviews & reports. If you do not see a review item for a seller, please contact them and request they create their own review item. If you would like to leave a breeding/bite/sting report, please contact an administrator with the species name that you would like to report and what type of report you would like to leave. We will create an item for you. The Seller/Buyer/Shop Inquiries/Warnings forum is still open for new posts.

Scorpions: Plus Other Popular Invertebrates - Jerry G. Walls

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter
Positive

I must say that I'm very impressed with this book -- at least the scorpon section, as I have not yet read the rest. It doesn't go as in-depth as I would like in many subjects, but it avoids two errors all too common with the pet-oriented scorpion books out there these days:

- It doesn't have obvious, glaring errors. Sure, there are a couple points where there are small errors or the phrasing is slightly misleading, but overall nothing jumped out at me that was going to cost a keeper or a bug its life. All the pictures seem to be appropriately captioned, however, and common names seem to line up well with scientific names. You really get the impression that the author and/or editor know the subject matter well and not just tangentially.

- It doesn't avoid the scientific literature. It provides a chart of the current family structure and even mentiones the controversy. It provides details of the biology of the scorpion that are usually reserved for more scientific texts, albeit in a straight-forward and accessable manner. The author clearly keeps up to date with his scientific publications and seems to be in personal contact with several of the key people. On the other hand, he does seem to miss a couple well-known facts and some of his terminology is downright wonky.

So overall a good book. I would have liked to see more details and illustrations in some of the more practical chapters (housing etc.) and I would have liked to see more species covered. The book also gets dangerously close to being preachy and discounts many ways of doing things. Still, I would recommend this book along with Rubio's book to anyone looking for a basic hobbyist text.

Cheers,
Dave

Last edited: