1. The Review & Report forums are closed to new posts. Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reviews & reports. If you do not see a review item for a seller, please contact them and request they create their own review item. If you would like to leave a breeding/bite/sting report, please contact an administrator with the species name that you would like to report and what type of report you would like to leave. We will create an item for you. The Seller/Buyer/Shop Inquiries/Warnings forum is still open for new posts.
Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Scorpions of Southern Africa by Jonathan Leeming.

Discussion in 'Book and Magazine Reviews' started by Richard_uk, Aug 20, 2003.

1. Richard_uk

Richard_uk Arachnobaron Old Timer

UK
    Advertisement
    Scorpions of southern Africa, Jonathan Leeming.

88 pages, softback. ISBN 1-86872-804-8

POSITIVE!

I bought this book last week from Amazon and was not dissapointed.
    It is not a care manual. The information is only a guide to the varied scorpion life that occurs in southern Africa but it has some of the most beautiful photo's of scorpions I have ever seen. The true scorpion enthusiast will not be able to put it down.
    It has iformation on Anatomy, bodily functions, scorpion behaviour, venom, mating and much more, but it is the second half of the book you will want to look at. It lists all the major species of the area and has a clear, beautiful photograph to go with it. There are some particularly good pictures of the various Hadogenes found in the country and after you take a look at the picture of the male Opistophthalmus Pallipes, I guarantee you will not rest until you have it in your collection!

The species covered are:

Lisposoma
    Afroisometrus
    Hottentotta
    Karasbergia
    Lychas
    Parabuthus
    Pseudolychas
    Uroplectes
    Opistacanthus
    Cheloctonus
    Hadogenes
    Opistophthalmus

Happy Reading!

2. Kugellager

Kugellager ArachnoJester Arachnosupporter

POSITIVE

This is an excellent guide to the scorpions of southern Africa.

One of the main items that Richard_UK forgot to mention is the type of habitat earch species is found and some of the localities where specimens have been collected is discussed in some detail. This information goes a long way in helping keepers of scorpions in the determination of how to keep a particular species in captivity. Excellent photos and range maps are provided for almost every species detailed in this book.

Definitely a useful text for those of us who keep scorpions from southern Africa.

John
    ];')

Last edited: Dec 14, 2003
  3. quagga

quagga Arachnopeon

Thanks for the kind words....:cool:

4. skinheaddave

skinheaddave SkorpionSkin Arachnosupporter

Good to have you aboard, Jonathan! Guess I should add my kind words to theirs:

Positive

I think that Richard and John have covered a lot of the specifics of why this book is great. It has a good mix of info for anyone from beginner to advanced, with lots of fantastic illustrations of species you just won't otherwise see. Two other things have really struck me about this book. The first is its cost. For the quality of info presented, it is a rather inexpensive book. The second thing is its universal appeal. For a book covering a very small subject area, it still holds appeal for those of us who are never going to come into contact with 90% of these species.

Cheers,
    Dave

5. ArNT1

ArNT1 Arachnoknight Old Timer

POSTIVE

This book in addition to information about scorpions of South Africa also contain basic scorpion information. This book should be in interest of everyone, not only those who keep South African scorpions.
    When I got the book in the post I could not put it away, so I read it all the first day and starting over. I think that says enough!

PS: Almost forgot to mention the superb pictures!

6. 1/2

1/2 Arachnosquire Old Timer

Positive

This book contains alot of info of good use, and specific rules of thumb for identifying various species. Absolutely a book for everyone with an interest in scorpions.

The illustrations in this book is of good help.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2005
  7. stonez

stonez Arachnopeon

POSITIVE

Not much to add about whta has already being said.
    very good book, great photos!!!!
    :clap::clap:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.