Scorpions living at room temp??

HumanSculptures

Arachnopeon
I've seen a lot of mixed answers on this. Can scorpions live and thrive at room temp say between 70-74? I keep all mine in a heated cabinet but I'd like to display them nicer on shelves but that means no heating. I keep the following;

Pandinus imperator
Pandinus dictator
Desert hairy
Flat rocks
Vinagaroon
Asian forest scorps
TAILLESS whip scorps

Can any of them thrive at room temp? THANK YOU!!

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
They can ALL LIVE in that temperature range.
Depending on your definition of "thrive"..... maybe? If you're not going to breed..... yes.
As CCG stated, lower temps result in slower growth rate.
Is it possible to insert glass panels in the door of your heated cabinet? Just a thought, you'll still have the high temps and have viewing capabilities.

Lessej

Arachnopeon
Thanks OP for posting as I was curious on this as well. I see so many photos and videos of setups and easily more than half of what I've seen shows no additional heating but from what I've read they do thrive more and can be more active with supplemental heat. I personally am going to probably go with a 50 watt infrared light for daytime/evenings and have it on a timer to turn off shortly before I turn in for the night. I'm in the process of shopping for a scorpion right now. I have 3 T's though, none of which are under any additional heating and are just at room temp which tends to be 70-77°F depending how warm it gets upstairs in my house on any given day. That's also where the scorpion will be.

Last edited:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
They will live at those temperatures. Their metabolism will be slower.

This does not apply to all the species you listed, but H. arizonensis is active when the temps are on the cooler side in their native range.

HumanSculptures

Arachnopeon
Thanks AGAIN for all the advice and help! Looks like I'll keep them in the heated cabinet where it's nice and warm. Thank you all.